Cowon Plenue D
Jan 20, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #814 of 4,949
I have been listening to the Plenue D along with Plenue 1 for around 4 days now. I somehow don't feel any significant difference in the sound quality. I have used HiFiMan 400i and Oppo PM3 as the headphones. Anyone else having similar experience ?

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #815 of 4,949
I have been listening to the Plenue D along with Plenue 1 for around 4 days now. I somehow don't feel any significant difference in the sound quality. I have used HiFiMan 400i and Oppo PM3 as the headphones. Anyone else having similar experience ?

I am not at all surprised to hear this, and I said as much in my earlier posts, yet somehow I am just being 'negative'.

Look... here we are presented with the opportunity to really be critical with the ******** nonsense $1k DAPs that companies try to push down our throats, all for the belief in better sound quality.
We have a few users reporting no real audible difference, at least not blatantly obvious differences to justify price increases like that!

The trend is higher prices for the promises of higher sound quality, when in reality there is none to be heard. Many users don't even bother with critical listening and a/b testing so approaching their responses and taking them seriously is foolish. I should know I have been one of those users, and I can tell you placebo and 'new toy syndrome' most definitely exists. I have learned my lessons and today A/B switch frequently when testing out new DAPs as well as revisiting older pairings to see how I feel about something 6 months down the line.

I feel mildly sorry for anyone who bought a P1 or M, but tbh if you can afford it then yer doing ok in life lol.

Now the real question is, someone put a M2 up against the D and P1/M, I think many would be shocked to hear the results.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #816 of 4,949

I am not at all surprised to hear this, and I said as much in my earlier posts, yet somehow I am just being 'negative'.

Look... here we are presented with the opportunity to really be critical with the ******** nonsense $1k DAPs that companies try to push down our throats, all for the belief in better sound quality.

We have a few users reporting no real audible difference, at least not blatantly obvious differences to justify price increases like that!

The trend is higher prices for the promises of higher sound quality, when in reality there is none to be heard. Many users don't even bother with critical listening and a/b testing so approaching their responses and taking them seriously is foolish. I should know I have been one of those users, and I can tell you placebo and 'new toy syndrome' most definitely exists. I have learned my lessons and today A/B switch frequently when testing out new DAPs as well as revisiting older pairings to see how I feel about something 6 months down the line.

I feel mildly sorry for anyone who bought a P1 or M, but tbh if you can afford it then yer doing ok in life lol.

Now the real question is, someone put a M2 up against the D and P1/M, I think many would be shocked to hear the results.
we get it. Same most page after page. Its personal choice. You don't feel its a value at its price, don't purchase it. Maybe ifvthis sounds as good as a $1000 dap, then its a hell of a value at $299 or current price. I would not pay $1000 for dap either, but don't have to repeat it every page.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #817 of 4,949
I would like to add my two cents to BruceBanner discussion. Let me describe my experience with M2.
  • I did A/B comparison of M2 and PC with jetAudio, of course, and external USB DAC headphone amp E-MU 0202 with 24 bit 192 kHz output mode, with the same headphones. I was disappointed, because PC with E-Mu 0202 sound significantly better than M2 at approximately the same setting at jetAudio on PC and BBE jetEffects on Cowon. The same flac files were used for comparison.  By the way M2 is using WM8960 Wolfson stereo codec with 24 bit 48 kHz DAC, but the Cowon software can play only 16 bit files with up to 48 kHz sampling rate. From other hand M2 sound so pleasant to me that I cannot stop listening it daily.
  • Many of us probably read article about Hi-Res files with attached examples on the net. My personal results were terrible. I was able correctly identify one music file and get ten errors. At the same time I have good quality flac and 320 kb mp3 files from the same original CD and I’m always correctly identify  flac music files compare to the same songs in 320 kb mp3 format on M2 or my PC.
  • Three to four years ago I A/B tested my PC setup with E-MU 0202 with 16 bit 320 kb mp3 files at 48 kHz and 192 kHz sampling frequencies settings. The music sounded a little bit smoother at the treble frequencies, but it wasn’t that easy to hear this difference without efforts.
  • I did A/B comparison between M2, jAudio 7 and Samsung Galaxy S-III with Android jetAudio PRO with BBE jetEffects installed. The M2 sound a little bit more pleasant than jAudio 7 and S-III.

Some users claim that they can hear and describe the difference between P1 and M. I would like to A/B test D and M2, but not willing to buy for this Plenue D. I’m located in Florida and I’m willing to lend my M2 for a couple of week for comparison, if in exchange, I will receive D with my M2 for approximately a week to test. I will publish my report for the group.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #818 of 4,949
Sorry the third point should be like this:
Three to four years ago I A/B tested my PC setup with E-MU 0202 with 16 bit 320 kb mp3 files at 48 kHz and 192 kHz sampling frequencies settings. The music at 192 kHz setting sounded a little bit smoother at the treble frequencies, but it wasn’t that easy to hear this difference without efforts.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #819 of 4,949
Another factor to consider in this discussion is the age/condition of the listeners ears. Generally older ears are not as good as young ears at most frequencies so paying a premium for a dap that has abilities that you are unable to hear or discern is foolish, in my opinion. I personally have a certain dollar value cut-off that I pretty much adhere to as far as audio gear is concerned as it is my belief that there are some great audio bargains to be had if you do your homework. The prices for gear in this hobby are heading into the stratosphere and I'm afraid our hobby may be headed the way of two channel stereo with absolutely insane prices for gear. Just my 2c worth. Cheers from Oz.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #820 of 4,949
Another factor to consider in this discussion is the age/condition of the listeners ears. Generally older ears are not as good as young ears at most frequencies so paying a premium for a dap that has abilities that you are unable to hear or discern is foolish, in my opinion. I personally have a certain dollar value cut-off that I pretty much adhere to as far as audio gear is concerned as it is my belief that there are some great audio bargains to be had if you do your homework. The prices for gear in this hobby are heading into the stratosphere and I'm afraid our hobby may be headed the way of two channel stereo with absolutely insane prices for gear. Just my 2c worth. Cheers from Oz.
So teenagers should buy the 2,000 USD daps and the 40 and up should stick with ipods?

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #822 of 4,949
So teenagers should buy the 2,000 USD daps and the 40 and up should stick with ipods?

People should buy what makes them happy and what they can afford. Every hobby sufferers from gear heads that just want to spec peep and argue over things that cannot be quantified. With that said, most young ppl with the better hearing do not appreciate high end audio and are perfectly happy with their compressed iTunes music files. Ironic isn't it?

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #823 of 4,949
Taken out of context.
I do agree no matter how well we can hear that the prices in are too high. Its great that the D is not too high.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #824 of 4,949
Hi-res arguments aside (also don't forget apple lossless
tongue_smile.gif
), apparently current iPod nano measures very solidly, esp for the price. Plus you can line-out, so it could be a decent and tiny transport.

Though, personally, I'm long finished with the iNess of iThings
cool.gif
Cowon Plenue is much more appealing.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #825 of 4,949
we get it. Same most page after page. Its personal choice. You don't feel its a value at its price, don't purchase it. Maybe ifvthis sounds as good as a $1000 dap, then its a hell of a value at $299 or current price. I would not pay $1000 for dap either, but don't have to repeat it every page.

I don't repeat it page after page, I just feel it warrants mentioning again when we have first hand experience by another member backing up a claim I made way at the start. I'm not trying to be a nob end and say "nur nur nur see I was right!", I'm just simply reinstating that this is a very important issue that needs attention.
FWIW I don't feel the Plenue D is terrible value, it's not what I personally am in the market for, I'm saying that the P1 and M are the real culprits here! But Cowon are not the only team pushing out DAPs in the 4 figures all for the sake of chasing that 'better' sound quality. Here we have at least one member saying no difference (or at least worthy of 3-4x price hike).

I'm also trying to bring attention to the forgotten M2, which is half cheaper than the Plenue D, and if it too sounds extremely close to the PD then that get's an even greater stamp of value!

Then there is of course the Plenue S! lmao...

I do agree no matter how well we can hear that the prices in are too high. Its great that the D is not too high.

Yes it is, I still feel personally it's a bit much to ask for with lag like that, but it's not in stupidville pricewise. My real issue is with the 4 figure DAP trend (and high 3 figures).

People should buy what makes them happy and what they can afford. Every hobby sufferers from gear heads that just want to spec peep and argue over things that cannot be quantified. With that said, most young ppl with the better hearing do not appreciate high end audio and are perfectly happy with their compressed iTunes music files. Ironic isn't it?

I respectfully disagree. You see right now we completely have a case of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' in the DAP world. People need to understand that WE are the industry, we vote with our money, if we stop believing in this 'vastly superior sound quality' in the vast hundereds and thousands that manufacturers are asking for then the trend will stop, prices will come back to normality and perhaps DAP makers will concentrate on giving us feature rich players with great sound. At the moment they are lazy and ripping us off. I am that child pointing at the Emperor crying "He's naked!" yet hardly anyone wants to acknowledge for fear of ridicule.

But yes I agree with that last part lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back