Cowon Plenue D
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #4,802 of 4,949
Forgive my laziness for not reading through the whole thread, but is this thing as good as it appears to be? Looking at picking one up. I am currently using Apgtek Rocker but the battery life has me down on it.

@Roboturner913,

Honestly, depends on you & what kind of DAP you are after, as exceptional battery life & exceptional sound quality aside, some don't like the PD as it seems 'dated', eg, a DAP which doesn't act like a smartphone with all the bells & whistle features associated...

Personally & subjectively, I like the PD even more than PD2 though the latter is my alternative in a pinch as it is essentially the same in Sound Quality. I've had the PD for 3+ years & it is still going strong.
The only word of caution I will say is in the unlikely event anything goes wrong with the unit, make sure you have a good retailer &/or distrubutor to help liaise with Cowon as Cowon isn't know for speedy customer service.

Hope this answers things for you, feel free to ask me more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #4,803 of 4,949
Yeah, I don't care about phone stuff, if I need to do phone stuff I'll use my phone for that. Looking for exceptional sound quality, sound tweakability, basic good functionality (the more basic, the better tbh) and good battery life.

gonna go ahead and order one from Amazon

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #4,804 of 4,949
Yeah, I don't care about phone stuff, if I need to do phone stuff I'll use my phone for that. Looking for exceptional sound quality, sound tweakability, basic good functionality (the more basic, the better tbh) and good battery life.

gonna go ahead and order one from Amazon

Exactly, hope it works for you.

Be interested to know your thoughts once you had some time with it. Minimum 1 week.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #4,806 of 4,949
The interface doesn't have the slickness of say a Sony, there is noticeable flicker and lag. It is entireley and suitably functional at its' job of selecting music for you to play.

Anyone pining for bluetooth should just pick up a transmitter. I picked up BT 5.0 transmitter with around 24 hour battery life. Other than the slightly extra built i think this actually works better than players with built in BT as the usually only last for around 10 hours. This way you can just keep up with the latest BT version, maintain your battery and have great music quality.

If only they could or others could get around to making slightly cheaper cases.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #4,807 of 4,949
Welp, looks like I waited too long. I didn't want to order over the Thanksgiving holiday because I wasn't home and there's been a rash of package thefts in my neighborhood. Got back home yesterday, went to order it and there's no more stock. Looks like somebody bought em all up at the $99 price and are now reselling them for $60 more. Buncha savages

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #4,812 of 4,949
For anyone reading this thread: the latency issues when scrolling and general response time can be greatly improved by installing your own font. Or at least it noticeably improved it for me when I installed Helvetica neue in medium weight as my font. (I got my .ttf file from "freefontsdownload".)

It blew my mind when I used the D2 for the first time after changing the font. It was like night and day! :)

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #4,813 of 4,949
For anyone reading this thread: the latency issues when scrolling and general response time can be greatly improved by installing your own font

Wow. Why would that be? I’m going to have to figure out how to do this now.

Update: I changed it. Used Helvetica Neue. It did not change the scroll speed but did make it much harder for me to read :confused: Back to system font.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #4,814 of 4,949
I'm guessing this stems from my post in the D2 thread HERE.

I've tried over 200 fonts and changing the Font does nothing for latency, that's just wishful thinking. It was a bit of fun to personalise your players but as for improving latency, umm no it doesn't. Truth is I've only saved 26 fonts, most of them don't look that good (Changing the screen brightness helps how they look on some).

EDIT. I've just tried the Helvetica Neue (on the D2) and it's Meh like most of them, for me. Each to their own, as always, though.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #4,815 of 4,949
Wow. y would that be? I’m going to have to figure out how to do this now.

Update: I changed it. Used Helvetica Neue. It did not change the scroll speed but did make it much harder for me to read :confused: Back to system font.

Maybe I should have been more clear. Changing the font solved the following problem: Normally when scrolling slowly and then releasing your finger from the touchscreen it would just randomly scroll forward some (or sometimes a lot) more. Changing the font fixed that problem. The overall latency and responsiveness improvement could very well be placebo.

As for the readability - looks pretty clean to me (did you use the medium weight?):

IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back