Cowon Plenue D
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #4,471 of 4,949
I am a virgin with regard to DAPs and today I got my very first one the Planue D.

I have spent months looking at different reviews,both written and video and after whittling down the various choices on the basis of quality of sound, power, useability and battery life; whereby not all the choices were equally weighted - battery life was really important to me - I decided on the Planue D.

I have it now and I have just one single gripe.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the pesky "If you increase the volume any higher you my cause your ears to fall off" message?

I have the 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones and the loudness is barely adequate when I hit the message because they do need quite a lot of power to run.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #4,473 of 4,949
@Michael Nager I stole this but have been using these for a while. It's bass heavy. Know that you can adjust the frequency with a tap, not just the level and width. Adjust to your liking. This will help a lot :wink:

9565CF71-0E62-47AB-A4C5-BFC70BE44D8B.jpeg

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,474 of 4,949
@Michael Nager I don't think you can disable it. But why would you want your ears to fall off?

Play around with the custom EQ. It's pretty fantastic. Google "Plenue D Jet Effect Settings" to find some good starting points.

The thing is that my headphones are a bit difficult to drive, so I need to raise the volume above the point where I get the message that turning the volume up higher might cause hearing damage. It is a PITA that every time I have to go through the process of pressing on the check mark to increase the volume.

I have looked in the manual and have not seen any way of getting rid of this really irritating warning.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #4,475 of 4,949
Right. Did you set a custom EQ and not notice a significant difference? I Can't tell if you tried that or not. If you did and still don't get enough volume, you have 2 other options: amp it or buy more easily driveable phones. It's a great player. Like I said, the warning is mandatory. Hope you get it set up so you can enjoy your tunes!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #4,476 of 4,949
The thing is that the 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones that I have are the best that you can get for music for a reasonable price - meaning under $500.

I tried messing about with the EQ settings but the message pops up when the volume reaches 59, it needs around 80 to be at a level where the headphones reach their potential.

The message has nothing to do with EQ settings.

I have seen the mandatory warning, have taken notice of it, and now I would like to remove it, because it is, like I said, a total PITA.

If it can't be done then I will need to grin and bear it, but it is patently ridiculous to have the damned message pop up again and again.

I don't see why my enjoyment of something should be interrupted because some morons don't know when their music is too loud.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4,477 of 4,949
The thing is that the 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones that I have are the best that you can get for music for a reasonable price - meaning under $500.

I tried messing about with the EQ settings but the message pops up when the volume reaches 59, it needs around 80 to be at a level where the headphones reach their potential.

The message has nothing to do with EQ settings.

I have seen the mandatory warning, have taken notice of it, and now I would like to remove it, because it is, like I said, a total PITA.

If it can't be done then I will need to grin and bear it, but it is patently ridiculous to have the damned message pop up again and again.

I don't see why my enjoyment of something should be interrupted because some morons don't know when their music is too loud.
Have you updated the firmware?

I can't induce this message or find a setting for it but I do recall it so perhaps it disappeared in the latest firmware.

Here: http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&bmenu=support

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #4,478 of 4,949
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #4,479 of 4,949
I am a virgin with regard to DAPs and today I got my very first one the Planue D.

I have spent months looking at different reviews,both written and video and after whittling down the various choices on the basis of quality of sound, power, useability and battery life; whereby not all the choices were equally weighted - battery life was really important to me - I decided on the Planue D.

I have it now and I have just one single gripe.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the pesky "If you increase the volume any higher you my cause your ears to fall off" message?

I have the 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones and the loudness is barely adequate when I hit the message because they do need quite a lot of power to run.
wild guess, but try to
1. Reset
2. Choose USA as a country

I am not sure about Cowon Plenue D as such back some 10 years ago there was some weird regulation in EU that covered portable players among other things, and players such as Cowon and Sansa Clip had lower volume / volume notification messages as long as you choose European location.

Please post here if it works or if it doesn't.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #4,481 of 4,949
Yeah, I might be a n00b to DAPs but I have been a computer techie for 35 years :D
Did you notice my follow up post? I didn't quote you so you may have missed it. Any luck with v1.14. There's little reason to move to v1.17. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #4,482 of 4,949
I've been checking the internet for Plenue D and beside being generally appraised it is often marked as warm which is what worries me. I lean more towards 'bright' and 'fun sounding' equipment.

How would you compare Plenue D' warmness to the other competing players like Fiio M3, Sony NW-A35, Astell&Kern AK Jr, etc. ??

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,484 of 4,949
I just purchased the Plenue D.
I hope it pairs well with the Campfire Audio Andromeda.

Does anyone have impressions of this combination?

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #4,485 of 4,949
I just purchased the Plenue D.
I hope it pairs well with the Campfire Audio Andromeda.

Does anyone have impressions of this combination?

I hate to burst your bubble, you would be better off with a more revealing DAP that the D if you are going to use the Andromeda. The Andromeda's are way more revealing than the D is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back