Cowon Plenue D
May 5, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #4,456 of 4,949
I have a suspicion that the unnecessary library scan at every boot-up guzzles a lot of power, and that playing from microSD may consume a bit more power than playing from the internal memory, but I am not happy at getting so much less than the claimed 50hrs.
Why are you regularly booting up?

Use sleep mode.

Are you keeping the screen on while playing?

What is the sensitivity of those cheap Sony earbuds?

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #4,457 of 4,949
Why are you regularly booting up?

Who said I was 'regularly' booting up?

I use my DAP on the train to and from work. Twice a day hardly seems excessive.

Use sleep mode.

Sleep mode still consumes power - way too much, actually.

Are you keeping the screen on while playing?

No. With respect, I'm not a noob.

What is the sensitivity of those cheap Sony earbuds?

I haven't checked, but although they're crap, I generally listen to the DAP with a volume setting somewhere between 45-55. My old J3 battery used to be just fine with them.

IIRC, Cowon's battery duration times are quoted with 128kbps files, so 192kbps is a bit higher than that, and will result in more data throughput from the memory card, but even so, for a DAP with a quoted max duration of 50 hrs, I think it's very reasonable for me to expect to get somewhere in the region of 30 hrs. I haven't formally timed it, but I know for sure that I am not getting past 20 hrs, and more likely around 15 hrs.

The damn thing takes a minute or so just to index the library during boot-up, which is ridiculous for a 2018 DAP. Honestly, if I could return it for a refund I would, and that's coming from a very happy J3 user for over 5yrs!

May 9, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #4,459 of 4,949
Got my hands on the PD last night, although very small still a good powerful player so far. I want to ask one question after putting all my music onto the SD card, some files are in separate folders. For example Ghostpoet
Ghostpoet ft artist 1
Ghostpoet ft artist 2
And so on.......
By doing this to breaking up the albums and it's just annoying to find rather then having them play one after another.
What in your suggestion would be the way to go to getting them all in the same album folder for easy access and play. Any recommendations on programs or anything would be a great help.
Cheer lads

May 11, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #4,460 of 4,949
The "database update" needlessly and the unit shutting down so soon after you pause it are annoyances to me. I wear one IEM at work and often have to pause it so I can understand people talking to me. Then I have to boot it up again when I'd rather just hit play and continue. Anyone know a fix for this?

Is a 200GB card viable? It's been covered but the answer still isn't concrete it seems.

What DAC does the PD use?

I got my first one, lost it a week into owning it. Bought another, cracked the screen the first night I had it, heh. Not a small crack either, across the whole thing diagonal. But I ended up finding the first one, I love it, wish it supported 256GB microSDs THO or I wouldn't have to buy another card. Art, lyrics and sound are radical brahski.

Anyone want to share a custom EQ they like/have made? I'll have to experiment.

The name is ****ing stupid though. "Plenue" gross

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4,461 of 4,949
The "database update" needlessly and the unit shutting down so soon after you pause it are annoyances to me. I wear one IEM at work and often have to pause it so I can understand people talking to me. Then I have to boot it up again when I'd rather just hit play and continue. Anyone know a fix for this?
Turn on sleep mode.

Is a 200GB card viable? It's been covered but the answer still isn't concrete it seems.
This has been covered to death and is absolutely concrete.

The PD can only read files in the lower 128 GB of a card. If you use a larger card, it won't crash but it won't play any file that is stored above the lower 128 GB.

May 16, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #4,462 of 4,949

What DAC does the PD use?

I got my first one, lost it a week into owning it. Bought another, cracked the screen the first night I had it, heh. Not a small crack either, across the whole thing diagonal. But I ended up finding the first one, I love it, wish it supported 256GB microSDs THO or I wouldn't have to buy another card. Art, lyrics and sound are radical brahski.

Anyone want to share a custom EQ they like/have made? I'll have to experiment.

The name is ****ing stupid though. "Plenue" gross
Set your timer, under Time, to 20 or 30 minutes.
The DAC is a Wolfsen.
Cheers, Phil.

May 16, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #4,464 of 4,949
What is everyone's favourite ANC phones with the PD?
The Jet Effects on the PD mean that you can make any headphone sound like any other so the question is redundant.

Questions like "what is the best ANC phone" can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Threads for specific phones can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-full-size.4/?order=post_date

and for IEMs here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/port...ones-and-in-ear-monitors.103/?order=post_date

May 16, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #4,465 of 4,949
The Jet Effects on the PD mean that you can make any headphone sound like any other so the question is redundant.

Questions like "what is the best ANC phone" can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Threads for specific phones can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-full-size.4/?order=post_date

and for IEMs here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/port...ones-and-in-ear-monitors.103/?order=post_date
Many thanks for the reply, Chris.
I appreciate the power of JetEffects but wondered what opinions were with regard to just ANC. I'm seeing that the addition of ANC really
only reduces sound quality and therefore, in my opinion, may be a redundant purchase.
Many thanks, Phil.

May 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4,466 of 4,949

Many headphones will never sound like any other even using the best equalizer.

@philzrx referred specifically to ANC (active noise cancelling) phones. There are not many good ANC phones out there.

May 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #4,467 of 4,949
Many headphones will never sound like any other even using the best equalizer.

@philzrx referred specifically to ANC (active noise cancelling) phones. There are not many good ANC phones out there.

You're all missing the point which is that this is the PD thread and the efficacy or not of ANC phones has nothing to do with the PD (or any other DAP).

So many times, almost every single day, I see people on this forum asking what is the best headphone for player XYZ or what is the best player for headphone ABC. It's a nonsense question. There are very few if any bad players out there. These days they are all just minor variations on good to very good. Most of them can play ruler flat. Most of them can apply EQ to change the sound to your liking. In that context, asking which headphone is best for a given player is nonsense. What you are really asking is what headphone sounds good but that is going to depend on what you want to hear and the only way to find out is to go listen to some. Discussions and reviews in the headphone forums may help you to form a shortlist. Discussions and reviews in the DAP forum (this one in other words) won't help.

Oops, I appear to have ranted. Sorry about that. Let's keep this thread about the PD.

May 19, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #4,468 of 4,949
You're all missing the point which is that this is the PD thread and the efficacy or not of ANC phones has nothing to do with the PD (or any other DAP).

So many times, almost every single day, I see people on this forum asking what is the best headphone for player XYZ or what is the best player for headphone ABC. It's a nonsense question. There are very few if any bad players out there. These days they are all just minor variations on good to very good. Most of them can play ruler flat. Most of them can apply EQ to change the sound to your liking. In that context, asking which headphone is best for a given player is nonsense. What you are really asking is what headphone sounds good but that is going to depend on what you want to hear and the only way to find out is to go listen to some. Discussions and reviews in the headphone forums may help you to form a shortlist. Discussions and reviews in the DAP forum (this one in other words) won't help.

Oops, I appear to have ranted. Sorry about that. Let's keep this thread about the PD.
So there have never been any discussions on amps or alternatives to the PD, Chris?????????

Sorry to be off topic, but anybody know how to delete an account?

Cheers, Phil.

May 19, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #4,469 of 4,949
What is everyone's favourite ANC phones with the PD?

So there have never been any discussions on amps or alternatives to the PD, Chris?????????

Completely different subjects.

The differences in the sound of headphones are in the realms of 100 to 1000 times greater than the differences between DAPs.

Choose a headphone you like the sound of.

Choose a DAP that has the feature set you require. Vast amounts of cash are required for small upgrades in the sound quality.

The question "What is everyone's favourite ANC phones with the PD?" can be shortened without loss to "What is everyone's favourite ANC phones?" because the DAP plays such a small part in the answer as to be unimportant. If you can't get to demo any ANC phones then you can study the reviews and comments in the headphone forum or you can ask in the help and recommendations forum as I already suggested. You might get some useful answers there. You likely won't get any here because this thread is about the PD, not the headphones.

I'm trying not to lecture but there isn't any other way to put it. The headphones are much more important than the DAP.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #4,470 of 4,949
Anyone bought a 1More Quad IEM's and they don't quite sound like what you thought? My Shure SE's 530 sound bright and well defined. But 1More quads just don't have it. Lacking highs badly.
Could it have anything to do with the plug?
The 1more quads sound a little muffled and lacking that sparkle I've read so much about.

They sound pretty good in my Cowon A3 as long as I hold the center button? Now why is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back