Cowon Plenue D
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,783 of 4,949

Thanks for the response!  Yes, correct, if the player did not work, to me, that would most certainly be a big problem and more than just a worry! 
triportsad.gif

I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a knock-off manufacture, etc., which to me if it was would have been more than a worry as well.  In addition, I was hoping this might help someone else avoid confusion when purchasing a gold/black version currently, as it could be like the one I received.

I'm hoping that one day it will start to at least look a little champagne in some light like yours does... maybe I need to leave it out in the sun or something?  Only thing I can think of trying at this point... would be truly crazy if it worked!

Did you happen to purchase your player recently?  Is the Plenue text tan like in the photo Vitor Valeri posted above?  Does the text change color as the player does in some light?

I just remembered that I have a nice Raynox macro lens for my camera, so I decided to take a few pictures with it and without it of the Plenue text, which is very much gray in color on my unit (it is nighttime right now, so the lighting without the flash is a warm LED bulb, which makes photos look more red a hazy overall; hence why I took some with the flash):

Without macro lens and with flash:

With macro lens, no flash:

With macro lens and with flash:

According to what I've seen so far, the gold unit's text should be quite tan, while the silver version should be gray.  What I have is the gold/black version (already returned one), so it is a bit crazy that along with the silver like finish, the text is also quite gray.

Thanks again for the input... I think a true answer to the differences with this particular unit would be if I could find someone with an older gold/black unit locally and take a photo side by side.

Hey there, I bought my PD about a month and a half ago so it's fairly new, the type is a dark tan, changes color depending on lighting, and it seems to be etched into the gold bar of the player: 

Color Shots (sorry for the crappy lighting):

Indoors it comes off as a gold color but in daylight it appears as rose gold color. Pretty cool effect. Hope that helps.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,784 of 4,949
Wow, that's more of what I was expecting and the text looks to be right compared to the other photos I've seen... a month and a half is also very new.  Even the first photo, which appears to be a bit less of a gold color than the other photos, has the text as a darker tan instead of darker gray like mine...

Would you mind sending me the details of the seller you bought it from in a private message to me?  I might just return this one, sadly once again, and try to see if I can get a different batch from someone else... I'm trying to be respectful to the seller I bought it from and not blabber their name out here since they do a lot of business with these players, etc., but in the end if I can get one that is like yours I'd be happier (I don't go through players often, as this is only my second one ever, so I did buy it with the intent to use it exclusively for a very long time and it would be best to get what I wanted initially).

Thank you for the photos and response, this really helps!  Even though it makes me feel once again that I somehow got someones production mess-ups...
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #3,786 of 4,949
I just received my Plenue D. I will make a review soon. Even though UI looks nice, it lacks some features.

- Is there any queue option? It is very important for me, since i was using poweramp software. Or how can i add single file, without changing now playing?

- How can you change favorites name?

- How do you create playlist?

Search function is so slow, scrolling is better I hope they can improve search speed in updates.

Also there is no crossfade in tracks. What is gapeless playback?

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #3,787 of 4,949
What is gapeless playback?

Gapless playback is playback without gaps.

Some albums are meant to be heard as one long track even though they are divided into tracks for user convenience.

These include live performances, prog rock classics like 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' and DJ mixed dance albums.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3,789 of 4,949
Does a car stereo USB mode recognize the Plenue D? I have an Alpine system if that makes any difference.  If so what is the sound difference between using the  headphone out as opposed to the USB connector?

Thanks in advance/

The Plenue D is a USB client. The car stereo is a USB host.

The Plenue D should go into connected mode and behave as a USB drive.

The hardware/firmware in the car stereo will probably only recognise the one drive (the internal memory) and not the micro SD card (external memory) as it was only designed for USB sticks and USB card readers.

You cannot set the Plenue D playing and use the car stereo as a USB DAC. That is the wrong way round. The PD doesn't support USB DACs and the car stereo doesn't have that function either.

If you want to play music on the Plenue D in the car then use the headphone output and the 3.5mm input (LINE IN, AUX IN).

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #3,790 of 4,949

The hardware/firmware in the car stereo will probably only recognise the one drive (the internal memory) and not the micro SD card (external memory) as it was only designed for USB sticks and USB card readers.

You cannot set the Plenue D playing and use the car stereo as a USB DAC. That is the wrong way round. The PD doesn't support USB DACs and the car stereo doesn't have that function either.

If you want to play music on the Plenue D in the car then use the headphone output and the 3.5mm input (LINE IN, AUX IN).

That's what I thought, your explanation is the perfect response.  Great to know!

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,795 of 4,949

I just looked at doing this with my VW Passat.  Yes, it works quite well.  You have to power up the Plenue D if it has gone to sleep before the car head-unit will see it, but after that I was able to select and play my files.  Additionally, my VW Discover Pro head-unit was able to see both the internal 32GB flash memory in the player as well as the micro-SD card.  As technobear wrote, many car units will only see one or the other.  In my case, the head unit could also build a database of the player's contents allowing me to select by artist, album etc from the head-unit's controls.  I doubt that I will use the Plenue D in this way very often, but it's good to know that it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back