Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 9, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #286 of 1,024

Imo the UI is already pretty good on the P1 and probably hard to improve. Haven't missed USB-C, BT or wifi on it so far, but a better batterylife(!) would surely be welcome.
I was considering another dap for later on this year, but recently I also started thinking of just picking up an extra used P1, as I enjoy it so much...

i owned cowon plenue s, also heard p1 extensively, and then sold plenue s and bought plenue pm2, did I miss anything by selling cowon plenue s and now owning plenue pm2 nothing at all

let us see what exactly p2 will offer to the table, if nothing that different then I am happy to keep to the pm2 and wait for the next flagship from cowon 

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #287 of 1,024
i was hoping for streaming capability and more powerful than p1, something that can drive any iem and yes I do use an amp for my iems with all my daps.

I pre-ordered the Ak Kann as that dap can drive any iem and no need for stacking

I will wait for the next cowon dap as I do not really feel there is anything that different than what my lovely pm2 can offer besides a change in sound signature and I use eq so i can change the sound as I like 

What iems are you using now that require external amp stacking? And what is your current dap that can't handle iems? Based on my lastest dozen of dap reviews and a ton of iems, i only found the need for a portable amp if i want to change the coloring of the built in headamp or to "clean up" the coloring with something more transparent. Full size demanding headphones is a different story, though :wink:

Sorry guys, i don't have P1 for comparison, but based on reading people's impressions of P1 and spending a few days with my P2 review unit, this will be an upgrade in sound sig for many people. I was listening and comparing last night P2 vs LPG, using W900 and Zeus XRA (both with 1960 balanced cables) and sound sig is very close, with the only difference LPG having a little better layering, but not by mile.

Second knob really makes it stand out as something totally different, but as i stated in my initial impression, i only found it practical for my personal use when assigned to a volume control where it adjusts the level in 2clicks at a time - very useful when going between headphones with different sensitivity and need to change volume faster. Btw, knobs are not tight, so you can turn them easier. 2nd knob is just a bonus, not a necessity, but it makes it look cool and gives you extra control. Actually, i also enjoyed assigning it to fast forward/scrub through the track, really fun way to get to the exact position in the track. Assigning to a filter is probably not for everyday use, but very helpful for testing. I need to spend more time with filters, but this is the first time i hear a more noticeable change, with other daps it's too subtle.

Also, balanced output is not a gimmick, you get higher power and improvement in soundstage expansion.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #288 of 1,024
What iems are you using now that require external amp stacking? And what is your current dap that can't handle iems? Based on my lastest dozen of dap reviews and a ton of iems, i only found the need for a portable amp if i want to change the coloring of the built in headamp or to "clean up" the coloring with something more transparent. Full size demanding headphones is a different story, though
wink.gif

Sorry guys, i don't have P1 for comparison, but based on reading people's impressions of P1 and spending a few days with my P2 review unit, this will be an upgrade in sound sig for many people. I was listening and comparing last night P2 vs LPG, using W900 and Zeus XRA (both with 1960 balanced cables) and sound sig is very close, with the only difference LPG having a little better layering, but not by mile.

Second knob really makes it stand out as something totally different, but as i stated in my initial impression, i only found it practical for my personal use when assigned to a volume control where it adjusts the level in 2clicks at a time - very useful when going between headphones with different sensitivity and need to change volume faster. Btw, knobs are not tight, so you can turn them easier. 2nd knob is just a bonus, not a necessity, but it makes it look cool and gives you extra control. Actually, i also enjoyed assigning it to fast forward/scrub through the track, really fun way to get to the exact position in the track. Assigning to a filter is probably not for everyday use, but very helpful for testing. I need to spend more time with filters, but this is the first time i hear a more noticeable change, with other daps it's too subtle.

Also, balanced output is not a gimmick, you get higher power and improvement in soundstage expansion.

i look at it differently, did u ever try using ie800  on any of the daps in my profile, well to be honest yes they can drive ie800 loud and maybe even very loud but dynamics layering and all just starts becoming like an orchestra of pain, but once u hook the ie800 to an amp like alo mk3 b or even fiio a5 the ie800 becomes something totally different. And make no mistake i do not crank the amp to highest volume, but something i noticed that once u use a powerfaul amp you can listen to good volumes that are enjoyable without lossing the sound quality of the iem. Also bassheads in general you will find them stacking an amp to their iems that is something that has become a concensus on, somehow bass on just daps is just not that enjoyable without an amp. And if I am not mistaken alot non bassheads stack an amp to be used with their iems, so its accross the board where many feel they need more oomph

also with my oppo pm1 which is supposed to be easily driven no dap what so ever could i enjoy it on

i do not care about what some people claim that current daps can drive headphones like oppo pm1 or audeze as to me that is just useless talking and not realistic, easy u can listen to them but never will u get to optimum quality levels. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #291 of 1,024

i was hoping for streaming capability and more powerful than p1, something that can drive any iem and yes I do use an amp for my iems with all my daps.

Hello Sound Eq ! Which one or other do you use please ?
rolleyes.gif

right noght i am using fiio x5iii amped, however there is hiss so that is why i am so eager to get the new AK KANN which is a beast dap

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #292 of 1,024
right noght i am using fiio x5iii amped, however there is hiss so that is why i am so eager to get the new AK KANN which is a beast dap

Thx for reply ! Sorry I meant as amp only as stack with your dap ?
Just checked your material signature... maybe the FIIO A5 currently ?
And which ALO do you prefer as you own both RX MK3 ? (I also have th RX B+ myself)
Regards

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #295 of 1,024
I loved the P1's Burr Brown dac. Didn't enjoy the AKM in the AK300 as much. I know it's all in the tuning, etc. I wish they keep the P1 sound signature. That being said with how good LG V20 sounds, i wonder if it's worth it to drop $1k+ anymore for a dedicated DAP.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #296 of 1,024
I own myself a P1 for a year and a half and love it so much !!!
Use it with ie800, AKG3003, and ATH-CKW1000ANV ( love them also though the bad reviews and feedbacks I read here...), and a V-moda M100 as circumaural
Got a Digizoid recently on eBay and please me
But I agree that for ie800 and some kind of music an amp is needed and helpful and seek for a "perfect" matching with my P1
That's why I ask

Considering buying the P2 I was expecting to also as something different and an upgrade of the P1, I prefer to wait for reviews and serious tests and feedbacks of real owners instead of speculations based on nothing really serious said

Cheers

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #297 of 1,024
I loved the P1's Burr Brown dac. Didn't enjoy the AKM in the AK300 as much. I know it's all in the tuning, etc. I wish they keep the P1 sound signature. That being said with how good LG V20 sounds, i wonder if it's worth it to drop $1k+ anymore for a dedicated DAP.

That's exactly the point !
Why not keep our beloved P1 with its warm signature and wait for a totally different one with the new P2 ?
I mean will it worth an other +1000 $/€ spending for a new sound signature from Cowon but staying with the brand for all qualities we all know and love :rolleyes:?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #299 of 1,024

What iems are you using now that require external amp stacking? And what is your current dap that can't handle iems? Based on my lastest dozen of dap reviews and a ton of iems, i only found the need for a portable amp if i want to change the coloring of the built in headamp or to "clean up" the coloring with something more transparent. Full size demanding headphones is a different story, though
wink.gif

i look at it differently, did u ever try using ie800  on any of the daps in my profile, well to be honest yes they can drive ie800 loud and maybe even very loud but dynamics layering and all just starts becoming like an orchestra of pain, but once u hook the ie800 to an amp like alo mk3 b or even fiio a5 the ie800 becomes something totally different. And make no mistake i do not crank the amp to highest volume, but something i noticed that once u use a powerfaul amp you can listen to good volumes that are enjoyable without lossing the sound quality of the iem. Also bassheads in general you will find them stacking an amp to their iems that is something that has become a concensus on, somehow bass on just daps is just not that enjoyable without an amp. And if I am not mistaken alot non bassheads stack an amp to be used with their iems, so its accross the board where many feel they need more oomph

also with my oppo pm1 which is supposed to be easily driven no dap what so ever could i enjoy it on

i do not care about what some people claim that current daps can drive headphones like oppo pm1 or audeze as to me that is just useless talking and not realistic, easy u can listen to them but never will u get to optimum quality levels. 

IE800 is the one I don't have experience with, unfortunately, and also I'm not familiar with Sony iems.  But everything I do have (in my Review Profile), and it doesn't need amping to drive them to full potential (not talking about the volume).  With full size, sure I can see my PM3 or EL8C or T5p2 benefiting from amping, that's the nature of planar magnetic and tesla drivers.  The same probably with IE800 since it's an ultra wide bandwidth driver, those are unique.  I just reviewed VEGA, and found it performing the best in high gain w/LPG, as well as high gain of other daps, it does like power.  So, I'm not surprised about IE800
wink.gif

Regarding the question others are having about LPG vs P2, I just did another listening, using more neutral UERR, switching between these two, and it's stil very close in sound.  If you have LPG and thinking about the upgrade, the big selling point is JetEffects which are simply amazing.  It turns PM2 from a mid-fi sound to summit-fi and can fine tune the sound of mediocre IEMs to sound one level higher without being artificial.  With P2 sounding close to LPG, imaging applying JetEffect dsp effects to LPG, and having a touch screen and balanced output and no need for a proprietary charger.  But LPG has more power and a more solid build and full SD card.  Both have their pros and cons.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #300 of 1,024
Regarding KANN, the jury is still out, but based on what we have seen with AK Jr, AK70, AK300, etc., A&K likes to cut corners with their "budget" releases, and I have a feeling they won't make $1k DAP to sound as good or half as good as their $3.5k flagship or $5k AK380ss+amp.  Just my opinion, though I hope to be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back