Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 4, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #257 of 1,024
SKM Technologies is the local distributor in Singapore. Judging from prices charged on their Lazada store, I don't think they can match JetAudio prices. Order from JetAudio and ship through vPost will be at a better price even with 7% GST.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #265 of 1,024
  everyone is waiting :)

For what?
wink.gif

Will take a little while before I get to the review, as usual, got a ton of stuff on my plate.  But can tell you right now after 24hrs of burn in and about 15-20min of listening, this AKM based DAP has closer to reference type of sound.  This new AK4497 DAC doesn't have your typical smooth/musical AK4490 type of sound.  Just based on my first impression, P2 has a smooth reference sound, like a crossover between DX200 and Opus#2.  PM2 is warmer and smoother in comparison.  As a matter of fact, with a number of my iems I like to switch JetEffects when using PM2, while with P2 didn't find the need for it.

Btw, interface is identical to PM2.  It's all about the new DAC and volume and multi-function wheel.  With those, my first impression is that I like being able to use a wheel for volume (and you can also use touch screen in parallel), but I'm still on the fence about multi-function wheel.  I mean, great idea and you can assign different functions to it, but for now the only one which makes sense to me is to set it up as a 2nd volume control knob which has a coarse tuning (for a faster volume change 2 steps at a time vs regular volume wheel being "slower" with one click at a time).

New leather case is gorgeous, though I wish they would have cutout for hw control buttons.  Not a fan of case-covered buttons because you can accidentally press the buttons vs when you have a cutout - buttons are recessed.  But hey, just a matter of a personal opinion.  Btw, I put it in my pocket, obviously volume-wheel down since HO jacks are at the bottom, and I had no issues with accidental volume bumps, though keep in mind, I'm wearing shorts, not tight jeans.  Btw, P2 is small, even a bit shorter than PM2.

Love balanced HO, definitely a higher power output.  Need to test more, but I thought the soundstage expansion was wider as well in balanced.  Hissing with sensitive IEMs is very low, lower than PM2, much lower than LPG and DX200, and even a touch lower than Opus#2 - tested it with Zeus-XRA.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #266 of 1,024

For what?
wink.gif

Will take a little while before I get to the review, as usual, got a ton of stuff on my plate.  But can tell you right now after 24hrs of burn in and about 15-20min of listening, this AKM based DAP has closer to reference type of sound.  This new AK4497 DAC doesn't have your typical smooth/musical AK4490 type of sound.  Just based on my first impression, P2 has a smooth reference sound, like a crossover between DX200 and Opus#2.  PM2 is warmer and smoother in comparison.  As a matter of fact, with a number of my iems I like to switch JetEffects when using PM2, while with P2 didn't find the need for it.

Btw, interface is identical to PM2.  It's all about the new DAC and volume and multi-function wheel.  With those, my first impression is that I like being able to use a wheel for volume (and you can also use touch screen in parallel), but I'm still on the fence about multi-function wheel.  I mean, great idea and you can assign different functions to it, but for now the only one which makes sense to me is to set it up as a 2nd volume control knob which has a coarse tuning (for a faster volume change 2 steps at a time vs regular volume wheel being "slower" with one click at a time).

New leather case is gorgeous, though I wish they would have cutout for hw control buttons.  Not a fan of case-covered buttons because you can accidentally press the buttons vs when you have a cutout - buttons are recessed.  But hey, just a matter of a personal opinion.  Btw, I put it in my pocket, obviously volume-wheel down since HO jacks are at the bottom, and I had no issues with accidental volume bumps, though keep in mind, I'm wearing shorts, not tight jeans.  Btw, P2 is small, even a bit shorter than PM2.

Love balanced HO, definitely a higher power output.  Need to test more, but I thought the soundstage expansion was wider as well in balanced.  Hissing with sensitive IEMs is very low, lower than PM2, much lower than LPG and DX200, and even a touch lower than Opus#2 - tested it with Zeus-XRA.

that is so much appreciated although I was looking for words that this is an upgrade to pm2 but it seems for now to me that it is a sidegrade. I am more in for musical sound signatures than reference. But really thanks alot for the info and of course we will look forward to reading more about it. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #267 of 1,024
SKM Technologies is the local distributor in Singapore. Judging from prices charged on their Lazada store, I don't think they can match JetAudio prices. Order from JetAudio and ship through vPost will be at a better price even with 7% GST.

They are currently clearing the Plenue S at SGD1900 so I wonder how much would it be for the Plenue 2.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #268 of 1,024
Sound Eq In my opinion, it's definitely and upgrade of PM2. I don't mean "reference" as in thinner, brighter, more analytical, but rather more revealing, with micro-detail retrieval, more layered, more dynamic, and more transparent type of sound. For example, i consider dx200 to have more reference type of sound quality. P2 is a little smoother, a little fuller body, and with more bottom end impact; while testing with W900 i hear the bass punches through stronger, more articulate, and layered. PM2 is smoother and warmer in comparison. I'm not familiar with original P1, but to my ears P2 is definely an upgrade of PM2.

I will continue with burn in, daps usually require 200hrs for caps to properly burn in. The sound could continue to change/evolve, these are my initial impressions. I'm actually using iBasso 3.5mm and 2.5mm burn in load cables now.

Also, got confirmation from Cowon that all the buttons in the leather case are covered to prevent dust from getting in, which definitely a good idea. The leather part over the buttons is thinner and flexible, thus easier to press, and has an indent print of the corresponding function to feel it better by sliding a finger.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #270 of 1,024
@Sound Eq In my opinion, it's definitely and upgrade of PM2. I don't mean "reference" as in thinner, brighter, more analytical, but rather more revealing, with micro-detail retrieval, more layered, more dynamic, and more transparent type of sound. For example, i consider dx200 to have more reference type of sound quality. P2 is a little smoother, a little fuller body, and with more bottom end impact; while testing with W900 i hear the bass punches through stronger, more articulate, and layered. PM2 is smoother and warmer in comparison. I'm not familiar with original P1, but to my ears P2 is definely an upgrade of PM2.

I will continue with burn in, daps usually require 200hrs for caps to properly burn in. The sound could continue to change/evolve, these are my initial impressions. I'm actually using iBasso 3.5mm and 2.5mm burn in load cables now.

Also, got confirmation from Cowon that all the buttons in the leather case are covered to prevent dust from getting in, which definitely a good idea. The leather part over the buttons is thinner and flexible, thus easier to press, and has an indent print of the corresponding function to feel it better by sliding a finger.

Thanks for the info :) I'm still waiting for my P2 and I have a question, what firmware is installed on your P2? I found 1.01 on Cowon's site and another question- Is there a screen protector on it like FiioX3iii and DX200 have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back