Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 6, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #271 of 1,024
Will take a little while before I get to the review, as usual, got a ton of stuff on my plate.  But can tell you right now after 24hrs of burn in and about 15-20min of listening, this AKM based DAP has closer to reference type of sound.  This new AK4497 DAC doesn't have your typical smooth/musical AK4490 type of sound.  Just based on my first impression, P2 has a smooth reference sound, like a crossover between DX200 and Opus#2.  PM2 is warmer and smoother in comparison.  As a matter of fact, with a number of my iems I like to switch JetEffects when using PM2, while with P2 didn't find the need for it.  
Btw, interface is identical to PM2.  It's all about the new DAC and volume and multi-function wheel.  With those, my first impression is that I like being able to use a wheel for volume (and you can also use touch screen in parallel), but I'm still on the fence about multi-function wheel.  I mean, great idea and you can assign different functions to it, but for now the only one which makes sense to me is to set it up as a 2nd volume control knob which has a coarse tuning (for a faster volume change 2 steps at a time vs regular volume wheel being "slower" with one click at a time).

New leather case is gorgeous, though I wish they would have cutout for hw control buttons.  Not a fan of case-covered buttons because you can accidentally press the buttons vs when you have a cutout - buttons are recessed.  But hey, just a matter of a personal opinion.  Btw, I put it in my pocket, obviously volume-wheel down since HO jacks are at the bottom, and I had no issues with accidental volume bumps, though keep in mind, I'm wearing shorts, not tight jeans.  Btw, P2 is small, even a bit shorter than PM2.

Love balanced HO, definitely a higher power output.  Need to test more, but I thought the soundstage expansion was wider as well in balanced.  Hissing with sensitive IEMs is very low, lower than PM2, much lower than LPG and DX200, and even a touch lower than Opus#2 - tested it with Zeus-XRA.

That's a gorgeous looking leather case indeed! I'm a bit surprised though that it doesn't have a cutout for hw control buttons, as the P1 leather case even already had that
blink.gif

Edit: just read your post on the thinner leather (protecting from dust) part after posting this.

So, I guess the only way to adjust volume in case the next song is louder/softer (I listen a lot in 'shuffle all songs' mode myself) than the former is to take it out of your pocket?

Maybe I'll pick one up later on (when prices have come down), for now I'm sticking to my 'old, but still going strong' P1
Thanks for this first impression!

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #272 of 1,024

Will take a little while before I get to the review, as usual, got a ton of stuff on my plate.  But can tell you right now after 24hrs of burn in and about 15-20min of listening, this AKM based DAP has closer to reference type of sound.  This new AK4497 DAC doesn't have your typical smooth/musical AK4490 type of sound.  Just based on my first impression, P2 has a smooth reference sound, like a crossover between DX200 and Opus#2.  PM2 is warmer and smoother in comparison.  As a matter of fact, with a number of my iems I like to switch JetEffects when using PM2, while with P2 didn't find the need for it.  
Btw, interface is identical to PM2.  It's all about the new DAC and volume and multi-function wheel.  With those, my first impression is that I like being able to use a wheel for volume (and you can also use touch screen in parallel), but I'm still on the fence about multi-function wheel.  I mean, great idea and you can assign different functions to it, but for now the only one which makes sense to me is to set it up as a 2nd volume control knob which has a coarse tuning (for a faster volume change 2 steps at a time vs regular volume wheel being "slower" with one click at a time).

New leather case is gorgeous, though I wish they would have cutout for hw control buttons.  Not a fan of case-covered buttons because you can accidentally press the buttons vs when you have a cutout - buttons are recessed.  But hey, just a matter of a personal opinion.  Btw, I put it in my pocket, obviously volume-wheel down since HO jacks are at the bottom, and I had no issues with accidental volume bumps, though keep in mind, I'm wearing shorts, not tight jeans.  Btw, P2 is small, even a bit shorter than PM2.

Love balanced HO, definitely a higher power output.  Need to test more, but I thought the soundstage expansion was wider as well in balanced.  Hissing with sensitive IEMs is very low, lower than PM2, much lower than LPG and DX200, and even a touch lower than Opus#2 - tested it with Zeus-XRA.

That's a gorgeous looking leather case indeed! I'm a bit surprised though that it doesn't have a cutout for hw control buttons, as the P1 leather case even already had that
blink.gif

Edit: just read your post on the thinner leather (protecting from dust) part after posting this.

So, I guess the only way to adjust volume in case the next song is louder/softer (I listen a lot in 'shuffle all songs' mode myself) than the former is to take it out of your pocket?

Maybe I'll pick one up later on (when prices have come down), for now I'm sticking to my 'old, but still going strong' P1
Thanks for this first impression!

Yes, with volume you might have to take it out of your pocket.  Another solution, use headphones with L-shaped connector (or adapter) so you can put the dap in your pocket with volume knob facing up.  The knobs are not very tight, so it's easy to turn them with just one finger, but you do hear a little click action as you turn it.  Btw, as I'm going through burn in, P2 is on a charger round the clock.  When I took it out of the case, it felt a little warm, but while inside of the case - the case surface is cool to the touch, like it absorbs the heat.  The quality of the leather is very high end, I think surpassing Dignis.

@AndrewPL - it comes preloaded with 1.01 fw.  Also, I think screen protector is already applied.  The glass screen is flush with a metal edge surrounding it, and I don't see the edge of a screen protector.  But it feels like one is applied.  I just asked Cowon to confirm, so will let you know...  Btw, looking forward to your impressions as well!

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #273 of 1,024
Yes, with volume you might have to take it out of your pocket.  Another solution, use headphones with L-shaped connector (or adapter) so you can put the dap in your pocket with volume knob facing up.  The knobs are not very tight, so it's easy to turn them with just one finger, but you do hear a little click action as you turn it.  Btw, as I'm going through burn in, P2 is on a charger round the clock.  When I took it out of the case, it felt a little warm, but while inside of the case - the case surface is cool to the touch, like it absorbs the heat.  The quality of the leather is very high end, I think surpassing Dignis.

@AndrewPL
 - it comes preloaded with 1.01 fw.  Also, I think screen protector is already applied.  The glass screen is flush with a metal edge surrounding it, and I don't see the edge of a screen protector.  But it feels like one is applied.  I just asked Cowon to confirm, so will let you know...  Btw, looking forward to your impressions as well!

I am interested in how well the digital filters work and the effects they have. Please when you do a quick/full review include that. :D

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #274 of 1,024

For what?
wink.gif

looks great!
it seems that both ps and pm2 have a warm sound
is p2 more neutral or a bit cold?or still a bit warm but just not as warm as pm2?

and look forward to see the comparison with ps(sound stage,details etc.)

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #277 of 1,024
Apr 8, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #278 of 1,024
For what? :wink:

Looks like its built like a tank.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #279 of 1,024
I was able to translate it. It's not really a listening competition it was more of how the two measured against each other like voltages and SNR etc. No sound signatures are compared and I doubt anyone can hear what the article is comparing between the P1 and P2 number wise?

Great read though.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #280 of 1,024
Cowon plenue S up price to 1899 USD
https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-Resolution-Titanium-PS-128TS/dp/B01D1439SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491716663&sr=8-1&keywords=cowon+plenue+s
what
the
cowon.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #281 of 1,024
Cant translate.

The main point seems to be that the measured SNR of the P2 is 123dB, while the P1 was "only" 120dB. I'm not sure how much of this is audible, even with other high end components. Looking forward with great anticipation to the first P1 vs P2 listening review. I have a P1 for about 3 years, and am looking for a reason to upgrade. Sound wise, it's difficult to fault the P1, which makes upgrading tricky. Essentially, the P2 seems to offer a slightly different form factor, a different DAC, and the two knobs on top. Identical UI, storage, battery life, and connectivity. 

I think it's a shame that Cowon haven't offered some other inducement to upgrade, such as any of a longer battery life, a refreshed UI, or USB-C. As for bluetooth... well, I'm not holding my breath. WIthout seeing or holding the device, I'm not sure whether I'd ever use the second knob... I don't tend to change DAC roll-off, BBE settings, etc. 

Still waiting to see whether I can justify €1300 for a volume knob... 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #282 of 1,024
  I think it's a shame that Cowon haven't offered some other inducement to upgrade, such as any of a longer battery life, a refreshed UI, or USB-C. As for bluetooth... well, I'm not holding my breath. WIthout seeing or holding the device, I'm not sure whether I'd ever use the second knob... I don't tend to change DAC roll-off, BBE settings, etc. 

wink.gif

Typical Cowon. They make excellent DAPs, and they've been at it for a while, but they are so SLOW to upgrade their hardware.
They re-use the same parts over and over again in multiple DAPs.

Best examples of features where they lag behind: capacity, battery life (which is a shame since they built their early reputation with awesome battery life), ergonomy (complicated UI, button placement).

This is their third high-end DAP with 128Gb memory, and sub-10h battery life. The knobs are a good idea but awfully placed, because 3 sides of the DAP are used which is not practical given the sheer size of this DAP. One could think they would learn from the smartphone industry, where a lot of design have been experimented for ergonomy.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #283 of 1,024
i was hoping for streaming capability and more powerful than p1, something that can drive any iem and yes I do use an amp for my iems with all my daps.

I pre-ordered the Ak Kann as that dap can drive any iem and no need for stacking

I will wait for the next cowon dap as I do not really feel there is anything that different than what my lovely pm2 can offer besides a change in sound signature and I use eq so i can change the sound as I like 

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #285 of 1,024
  The main point seems to be that the measured SNR of the P2 is 123dB, while the P1 was "only" 120dB. I'm not sure how much of this is audible, even with other high end components. Looking forward with great anticipation to the first P1 vs P2 listening review. I have a P1 for about 3 years, and am looking for a reason to upgrade. Sound wise, it's difficult to fault the P1, which makes upgrading tricky. Essentially, the P2 seems to offer a slightly different form factor, a different DAC, and the two knobs on top. Identical UI, storage, battery life, and connectivity. 

wink.gif

Imo the UI is already pretty good on the P1 and probably hard to improve. Haven't missed USB-C, BT or wifi on it so far, but a better batterylife(!) would surely be welcome.
I was considering another dap for later on this year, but recently I also started thinking of just picking up an extra used P1, as I enjoy it so much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back