Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 12, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #317 of 1,024
@Twister6 any impressions yet?

Well, I already posted a few of my initial impressions, and will probably summarize it by the weekend on a my blog (will share it here).  Just have a few other reviews in my queue to finish and don't want to be distracted...   I still find its sound quality to be very close to LPG, it's like LPG with a touch screen, JetEffects, balanced HO, and two slightly loose knobs
wink.gif
  Bottom line, I LOVE IT!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #318 of 1,024

Well, I already posted a few of my initial impressions, and will probably summarize it by the weekend on a my blog (will share it here).  Just have a few other reviews in my queue to finish and don't want to be distracted...   I still find its sound quality to be very close to LPG, it's like LPG with a touch screen, JetEffects, balanced HO, and two slightly loose knobs
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Ow man. Looking forward to your review twister6, I like your write on DX200.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #319 of 1,024

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Btw, did a few battery tests.  Fully charged, playing mp3 in a loop at a normal listening volume with UERR and screen off.  Getting about 9hrs and 20min of battery life.  Will try next with high res files and more demanding headphones.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #320 of 1,024

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Btw, did a few battery tests.  Fully charged, playing mp3 in a loop at a normal listening volume with UERR and screen off.  Getting about 9hrs and 20min of battery life.  Will try next with high res files and more demanding headphones.

... and high res playback (DSD64 track in a loop, with a screen off): 8hrs and 40min.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #321 of 1,024
@twister6

I'm trying to play content from my iPhone to the P2, streaming or local music.  Unfortunately, the P2 draws charge from the phone. The P2 drained the phone battery in less than an hour from 77% charge in my test, which pretty much makes this unusable.

I've sent a request to Cowon, and they say they'll look into it.  I also posted on discussions.apple.com, but have gotten no response there yet.

Any ideas?

Anybody else?

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #322 of 1,024
  @twister6

I'm trying to play content from my iPhone to the P2, streaming or local music.  Unfortunately, the P2 draws charge from the phone. The P2 drained the phone battery in less than an hour from 77% charge in my test, which pretty much makes this unusable.

I've sent a request to Cowon, and they say they'll look into it.  I also posted on discussions.apple.com, but have gotten no response there yet.

Any ideas?

Anybody else?

Are you trying to use Plenue 2 as your external USB DAC to an iPhone through some camera kit, like an USB OTG connection?  I guess that would be the only way, I assume.  I don't know if it intended/designed to work as an external USB OTG DAC while drawing power from internal P2 battery, or maybe something is wrong with your iPhone camera kit cable, or some other setting.  Too many variables...  But sounds like in the setup you're describing, you are expecting P2 to use it's own power while it's drawing juice from your iPhone.

If there is no work around, I would suggest getting an adapter to connect Plenue 2 to iPhone with an extra y-splitter connection to attach external battery to keep your phone happy.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #323 of 1,024

Are you trying to use Plenue 2 as your external USB DAC to an iPhone through some camera kit, like an USB OTG connection?  I guess that would be the only way, I assume.  I don't know if it intended/designed to work as an external USB OTG DAC while drawing power from internal P2 battery, or maybe something is wrong with your iPhone camera kit cable, or some other setting.  Too many variables...  But sounds like in the setup you're describing, you are expecting P2 to use it's own power while it's drawing juice from your iPhone.

If there is no work around, I would suggest getting an adapter to connect Plenue 2 to iPhone with an extra y-splitter connection to attach external battery to keep your phone happy.

Yes, using MFi certified interconnect w/ micro USB  to lightning.  Connects fine, plays fine.  Just have the battery-drain problem. 

I just got a response from info@jetaudio.com.  They said:

"I got the answer from our headquarters that P2 can be charged while it’s connected for DAC. It was designed like that because DAC feature mostly works with computer."

'Mostly' being the operative word in this case.

to which I replied:

'(a bunch of words reiterating the problem) Please add the ability to turn off charging.'

and they came back with:

'Thank you for your suggestion.

We request it to our headquarters so that they can add the feature soon.'

I don't think there's a splitter solution.  It seems very unlikely that the lightning port can both output charging current to the P2 while simultaneously receiving charging current from an external battery.  I'd be very reluctant to even connect such a setup -- seems like a recipe for disaster.

Does make me think of the idea of a charging case for the iPhone.

Anyway, thanks for your input.  I suspect I'll be waiting/hoping for Cowon to add a feature, although I suspect it's unlikely. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #324 of 1,024
Well, I already posted a few of my initial impressions, and will probably summarize it by the weekend on a my blog (will share it here).  Just have a few other reviews in my queue to finish and don't want to be distracted...   I still find its sound quality to be very close to LPG, it's like LPG with a touch screen, JetEffects, balanced HO, and two slightly loose knobs :wink:   Bottom line, I LOVE IT!!! :D

Wow! Cowon 2 is like LPG with blackjack and volume knobs

I'm very, VERY interested.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #325 of 1,024

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your detailed impressions.   P2 is in amazon cart waiting....... 
L3000.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #326 of 1,024
For $1,700? There are better options.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #328 of 1,024
It was $1290 from Jet Audio.  Guess they sold the last one.  I am not going to pay $1700 for sure. Will pick up from Japan when I am there end of the month.
ITS NOT 1700.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #329 of 1,024

For $1,700? There are better options.

It was $1290 from Jet Audio.  Guess they sold the last one.  I am not going to pay $1700 for sure. Will pick up from Japan when I am there end of the month.

I remember when PM2 went on sale, JetAudio pricing (both on amazon and ebay) fluctuated quite a lot, even as much as +/- $150 and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back