Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #346 of 1,024

So the price is SGD1799 in Singapore as listed by SKM. Lower than if you buy and ship from Amazon Japan.
Not sure how successful it's going to be with other Korean DAPs like Opus#3 and AK Kann that are priced lower.

The KANN is going for arnd SGD1399 if I rmb correctly, but the upgraded chipset might make it worth the extra cash 
and it looks sooooo much better 

Going to be keeping an eye out for this one 

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #347 of 1,024
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #348 of 1,024
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #349 of 1,024
It will take a little while before I finish my full review, but here I would like to share with you my first detailed look at P2:  https://twister6.com/2017/04/19/first-look-at-cowon-plenue-2/

Nice review, but it seems to me you like every dap. Awhile back it seemed you enjoyed the PM2 but then quickly moved on. So not sure if this is THE dap or just another "the weeks" good dap.

This is just first impression mini-review :wink: To be honest, i don't believe in THE dap or THE iems. As part of the natural progress, something new and better will always be around the corner. Actually, IEMs and cables have more longevity while every few months there is a new dap and many don't sound too far off. Right now i do enjoy a lot P2, LPG, DX200, and Opus#2. PM2 is still great but with JetEffect tweaking. P2 doesn't need dsp effects to sound great.

Also, keep in mind, I'm reviewer (not a consumer) and just like to share about products sent to me by manufacturers. I'm not in a position to pick and choose one product which is the best out of a bunch, though i do like to compare to give you an idea of how products stack up against each other. Maybe one day it would be a good idea to have a shootout, similar to what Nic is doing with flagship iems.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #351 of 1,024
I was trying to find original Cowon screen protector for P2 but it's not available on Amazon nor on eBay and finally I found this if somebody is interested
http://www.unicafrance.eu/en/6652-cowon-p2-splcd.html

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #352 of 1,024
I've had the P2 for a few days. I also have a P1, which I have used religiously for the past 2.5 years. I'd like to outline some of the differences as I see them between the P1 and the P2. I don't have the other Cowon DAPs (M, M2, PS), so can't comment on the differences or lack of, between those models and the P2.

The P2 is a noticeably chunky device, larger and heavier than the P1. This size difference is easily noted in the hand.

In terms of the hardware, the P2 is a definite upgrade to the P1 in almost every respect - the screen is nicer, with a glossier finish and blacker blacks. It has a volume knob (and another knob of dubious merit), and a multifunction button (again, somewhat spurious as it duplicates already easily accessible functions). There is no flappy flap over the micro USB socket (this is my favourite change). The P2 has balanced out, if that is important to you. Its case is nicer (with the exception that the covered hardware buttons on the side are more difficult to control by feel alone than the exposed buttons on the P1). Overall, I find that the fit and finish is reminiscent of the 2nd gen AK devices.

The P2 has also had a minor UI refresh (this may be the same as the PM2 and PS - I don't know). The icons have been refreshed, there is a new "Now Playing" skin with less skeuomorphism, and the boot-up design has changed. The P2 seems to flip into landscape album cover view at the slightest provocation. I have to wield my P1 aggressively to produce this view, so looks like the gyroscope has been changed or reworked.

In terms of sound, there is a definite difference between the P1 and P2, which I was relieved to hear (I didn't want to realise that I had spent €1100 on a volume knob). The P2 is voiced differently, presumably a result of the change in DAC. While it is still very much a Cowon device - very musical, tending towards warm, detailed but not analytical, the P2 is a step up from the P1. It sounds slightly more forward, with more pronounced low mids, and more focused and prominent low end. This does lend it a "meatier" feel than the P1, but still remains a very smooth and enjoyable listen (I use W60s and Sennhesier Momentums Over Ear v1.0, both unbalanced). The soundstage is modestly larger.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. The device reeks of quality and craftsmanship, has a very stable OS with fast boot times, and sounds like a high-end Cowon device (and a modest upgrade to the P1). It would have been nice to have USB 3 / C and bluetooth, but then, I suppose, it wouldn't have been a Cowon device...

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #353 of 1,024
I've had the P2 for a few days. I also have a P1, which I have used religiously for the past 2.5 years. I'd like to outline some of the differences as I see them between the P1 and the P2. I don't have the other Cowon DAPs (M, M2, PS), so can't comment on the differences or lack of, between those models and the P2.

The P2 is a noticeably chunky device, larger and heavier than the P1. This size difference is easily noted in the hand.

In terms of the hardware, the P2 is a definite upgrade to the P1 in almost every respect - the screen is nicer, with a glossier finish and blacker blacks. It has a volume knob (and another knob of dubious merit), and a multifunction button (again, somewhat spurious as it duplicates already easily accessible functions). There is no flappy flap over the micro USB socket (this is my favourite change). The P2 has balanced out, if that is important to you. Its case is nicer (with the exception that the covered hardware buttons on the side are more difficult to control by feel alone than the exposed buttons on the P1). Overall, I find that the fit and finish is reminiscent of the 2nd gen AK devices.

The P2 has also had a minor UI refresh (this may be the same as the PM2 and PS - I don't know). The icons have been refreshed, there is a new "Now Playing" skin with less skeuomorphism, and the boot-up design has changed. The P2 seems to flip into landscape album cover view at the slightest provocation. I have to wield my P1 aggressively to produce this view, so looks like the gyroscope has been changed or reworked.

In terms of sound, there is a definite difference between the P1 and P2, which I was relieved to hear (I didn't want to realise that I had spent €1100 on a volume knob). The P2 is voiced differently, presumably a result of the change in DAC. While it is still very much a Cowon device - very musical, tending towards warm, detailed but not analytical, the P2 is a step up from the P1. It sounds slightly more forward, with more pronounced low mids, and more focused and prominent low end. This does lend it a "meatier" feel than the P1, but still remains a very smooth and enjoyable listen (I use W60s and Sennhesier Momentums Over Ear v1.0, both unbalanced). The soundstage is modestly larger.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. The device reeks of quality and craftsmanship, has a very stable OS with fast boot times, and sounds like a high-end Cowon device (and a modest upgrade to the P1). It would have been nice to have USB 3 / C and bluetooth, but then, I suppose, it wouldn't have been a Cowon device...

So on a scale of 1-10 how close would you rate the P1 is in sound quality (details, layering/width etc) to the P2? ie: 1 is not even close whereas 10 is exactly the same. Thank you. :D

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #354 of 1,024
So on a scale of 1-10 how close would you rate the P1 is in sound quality (details, layering/width etc) to the P2? ie: 1 is not even close whereas 10 is exactly the same. Thank you.
biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, I'd give the P1 an 8... so pretty close. I suppose that's always the way at this level of device - you're paying top dollar for quite a modest difference. The P1 and P2 definitely sound part of the same family, both very musical, slightly warm, very enjoyable devices. The P2 has the edge though in terms of soundstage, details, and low end presence - but it's only an edge.

The real difference between the two devices is the hardware - the P2 really is a premium piece of kit, much nicer than the P1 to hold and use.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #355 of 1,024
For what it's worth, I'd give the P1 an 8... so pretty close. I suppose that's always the way at this level of device - you're paying top dollar for quite a modest difference. The P1 and P2 definitely sound part of the same family, both very musical, slightly warm, very enjoyable devices. The P2 has the edge though in terms of soundstage, details, and low end presence - but it's only an edge.

The real difference between the two devices is the hardware - the P2 really is a premium piece of kit, much nicer than the P1 to hold and use.

Wow that's not that huge of a difference that I was hoping for to justify a new DAC and spending over +$1,000.00. Did you utilize the digital filters/EQ and notice any advantages ie: more detail by chance in comparison to the P1?

If not I guess I will just wait when it falls into the hundreds range and then maybe consider it. Guess it's more for new customers or people that like to collect DAC's or just splurge money, etc. :D Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #357 of 1,024
I'm well into burn-in, close to 150 hours. Listening to FiiO X5iii & P2 exclusively balanced via ALO Tinsel to IT03s.

I actually love this DAP. From reading sound signature descriptions, I think of a spectrum from 'analytical' to 'musical'. I want to call this girl's beautiful voice 'emotive'. I don't know what the hell that means, but I'm not analyzing the sound, and I'm not feeling the sound. Instead, I'm feeling the musicians and singers.

Tonality seems very neutral to me, exposing the X5's slight warmth. Drums at the beginning of 'The Chain' thud instead of thump. The cymbal at the very beginning of 'Trouble' sizzles without the hint of ring I hear from the X5. Joni Mitchell's hint of contralto in 'Electricity' is muted, but still present.

So much character is provided to vocals by the depth of the sound space.

Ray LaMontagne's 'Trouble' is an amazing vocal performance which I never fully appreciated. The depth of the image in the sound space has the effect of conveying a very credible sense that he's right there in front of you telling you about the girl who saved him.

I'm a big Neil Young fan, and I've listened to 'Tonight's the Night (Part II)' many times. Still, I heard some things I'd never noticed before in the song. Towards the end, there a number of low-volume, brief sounds which are pretty dissonant. They almost seem like mixing errors but I don't think they are. I think they are intentionally inserted to add to the atonality and dystopian feel of the piece, After I heard them on the P2, I found them on the X5. I know, placebo effect, 'You listened harder'. But seriously, I've certainly listened to that song more than 100 times. I'm pretty sure they were easier to hear on the P2 because they stood out from other sounds in the depth of the image.

Van Morrison's 'Sweet Thing' is a joy on this rig. There's so much going in the space around you, and Van's voice is so heart-breakingly plaintive.

And talk about heart-breaking, Loreena McKennitt's 'Full Circle' is the canonical example.

All that lyrical/poetic BS aside, I really hear 2 quantitative differences between the X5 (which I really like, BTW) and the P2:

- Very slight warmth in X5, not in P2. I read the 'warmth' wars over on the X5 thread, and I get that AKM DACs are supposed to have a warm signature. To my ear, Cowon has left that out of the P2 sig. This is a subtle difference. And I believe it might be 'your ears, my ears' for a lot of folks. I can see where others might think those drums in 'The Chain' should thump, not just thud. But I hear other drums strikes which do thump from the P2, and I don't think those should. Same with the cymbal. Again, though, minor, slight, minimal, subtle...pick your favorite.

- Sound image on P2 has tremendously detailed depth. X5 has very good xy imaging, but it's like listening to sounds being emitted from a (wrap-around) screen. (Not on every song, I admit. But always flatter or a lot flatter than the P2) P2 image has lots of z information. Sound comes from a space around you. This is also subtle, but the effect is really profound. Additionally, to me, this is a big part of detail. This sound image provides cues which allow my brain to assemble a more detailed model of the instruments and vocalists which are producing the sounds I hear. It's funny, I don't think the P2 has a vast soundstage in any dimension, It's rather that the detail is well distributed in all three dimensions, so the z-axis doesn't seem compressed or flattened.

For me, this is serious stuff. I still remember sitting with my father as a child, listening to to symphonies and having him 'point out' the different instruments.

I look forward to hearing what other, more experienced, and hopefully more disciplined listeners have to say about the P2.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #358 of 1,024
Also only a positive feedback about P2 coming from people, who visited Moscow High End audio show. Here is a short comment of LPG owner:
Yesterday heard it at the show. Great DAP! Sound have something in common with LPG: dense, energetic, detailed. I like it more than Plenue S. I'm not quite like the controls. Cowon representatives told me, that it's not a flagship, but the sound is a level of flagship

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #359 of 1,024
Also only a positive feedback about P2 coming from people, who visited Moscow High End audio show. Here is a short comment of LPG owner:
Yesterday heard it at the show. Great DAP! Sound have something in common with LPG: dense, energetic, detailed. I like it more than Plenue S. I'm not quite like the controls. Cowon representatives told me, that it's not a flagship, but the sound is a level of flagship

That's exactly my impression as I mentioned it here, you can't help but notice how close it's to LPG.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #360 of 1,024

So the price is SGD1799 in Singapore as listed by SKM. Lower than if you buy and ship from Amazon Japan.
Not sure how successful it's going to be with other Korean DAPs like Opus#3 and AK Kann that are priced lower.

Are there any online retailers in Singapore that carry the P2 and will ship internationally? The CAD is basically on par with the SGD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back