Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #363 of 1,024
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONP2-SVBK/Cowon_Plenue_2__P2__High_Resolution__World_s_Finest_DAC__128GB_Music_Player.15070.html?amp3sid=nlqva1aps7cmep7deqt72cukm0

This is where I got mine - AdvancedMP3

More stock due next week.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #364 of 1,024
Neither WiFi nor bluetooth mentioned in the spec - means no online streaming and you can not connect a remote control to the DAP.
This is so strange. I have all these features in my $700 DAP today.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #365 of 1,024
Neither WiFi nor bluetooth mentioned in the spec - means no online streaming and you can not connect a remote control to the DAP.

True, Cowon seems to go with the assumption that such features detract from sonic quality. Or maybe they're just lazy :wink:

BTW, they said they would add capability to turn off charging, which will let me stream from iPhone via USB DAC. Right now it sounds fine, but drains iPhone battery rapidly.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #366 of 1,024

I guess that's why you got 300R?
wink.gif
 or you can get $399 FiiO X5iii or upcoming $250+ Hidizs AP200 if you want Android DAP with a support of apps and wifi streaming and BT wireless headphones.  Cowon is not going for that, and instead focusing on a pure sound quality.  I asked them numerous times if there is an upcoming flagship with wifi/BT support, but never got a straight answer.

Been using P2 a lot lately, and I mean A LOT
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #367 of 1,024

I guess that's why you got 300R? :wink:  or you can get $399 FiiO X5iii or upcoming $250+ Hidizs AP200 if you want Android DAP with a support of apps and wifi streaming and BT wireless headphones.  Cowon is not going for that, and instead focusing on a pure sound quality.  I asked them numerous times if there is an upcoming flagship with wifi/BT support, but never got a straight answer.

Been using P2 a lot lately, and I mean A LOT :D

Have you compared P2 + U12 w/M15 vs Opus#2 + U12 w/M15 yet bro ?

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #368 of 1,024

wink.gif
 or you can get $399 FiiO X5iii or upcoming $250+ Hidizs AP200 if you want Android DAP with a support of apps and wifi streaming and BT wireless headphones.  Cowon is not going for that, and instead focusing on a pure sound quality.  I asked them numerous times if there is an upcoming flagship with wifi/BT support, but never got a straight answer.

biggrin.gif

Have you compared P2 + U12 w/M15 vs Opus#2 + U12 w/M15 yet bro ?

Didn't get to that yet, but will soon, and not just with U12 w/M15 but also U18 w/M15
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #370 of 1,024
twister6 How is the bass and soundstage of this dap ? Do you have a pic of this one and Opus#2 side by side ?

I already posted first look mini review on my blog, including the comparison pics, earlier this week: https://twister6.com/2017/04/19/first-look-at-cowon-plenue-2/

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #371 of 1,024

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I need a Transport first of all. Pioneer is a perfect transport but it occupies the micro usb port of my Vantam which is also used for charging. So I can not charge and listen to the music at the same time.
After 3 hours  the battery of Vantam is dead. I need the transport with an optical output to free the microusb port. I tried to switch to Ak100 II but it spoils the sound in comparison with Pioneer – not a very good signal via Optical.
So I’m looking at around 1000-1500 USD DAP which will be used as a transport for 60% of the time and as a DAP in 40% of the time (on the go), ideally with the same sound signature as Vantam (that’s why BB DAC is preferable). Services like Tidal and others just a plus here since they don’t make any impact on the DAC/Amp.
Balanced output is a MUST.
Bluetooth is needed for a remote control - no wireless headphones for sure.
No Fiio or any other Chinese devices please. 

So basically I can live without Tidal and bluetooth if the DAP is good enough as a DAP and the transport.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #372 of 1,024
DAP market today demands for wifi, Bluetooth and streaming. But still there's a few manufacturers, who raises their flags in the camp of audio purists. Pure audio players just like samurai in the second half of XIX century, they soon will be vanished as class, but no one takes their pride! :)

Think, there's still exists a small part of head fi community, who share those thoughts, storing their music on internal memory, SD cards, and don't need any streaming, only uncompromising, superior SQ. Yes, yes- we do :D

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #373 of 1,024
DAP market today demands for wifi, Bluetooth and streaming. But still there's a few manufacturers, who raises their flags in the camp of audio purists. Pure audio players just like samurai in the second half of XIX century, they soon will be vanished as class, but no one takes their pride!
smily_headphones1.gif

Think, there's still exists a small part of head fi community, who share those thoughts, storing their music on internal memory, SD cards, and don't need any streaming, only uncompromising, superior SQ. Yes, yes- we do
biggrin.gif

I would challenge what market actually demands. Very often, market is served what marketeers imagine to be a "certain" future, and it is quite far from the actual demand.
Working in R&D, I think it is actually cheaper nowadays to implement a smartphone-derived BT/WiFi capabilities (a couple of cheap electronic chips) than to give a decent amount of internal memory.

While a large part of young people I know does stream frequently, the 3/4/5G network is still far from being sufficient to stream on-the-go, people mainly stream at home or at work, which is just funny when you think about it. And they all use a smartphone anyway, not a DAP.

And to be honest, streaming is so easy with a smartphone that I wouldn't buy a DAP if it was primarily for streaming.

Again: if you buy a DAP, you NEED storage, at least for lossless music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back