Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Apr 24, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #376 of 1,024

I guess that's why you got 300R? :wink:  or you can get $399 FiiO X5iii or upcoming $250+ Hidizs AP200 if you want Android DAP with a support of apps and wifi streaming and BT wireless headphones.  Cowon is not going for that, and instead focusing on a pure sound quality.  I asked them numerous times if there is an upcoming flagship with wifi/BT support, but never got a straight answer.

Been using P2 a lot lately, and I mean A LOT :D

I need a Transport first of all. Pioneer is a perfect transport but it occupies the micro usb port of my Vantam which is also used for charging. So I can not charge and listen to the music at the same time.
After 3 hours  the battery of Vantam is dead. I need the transport with an optical output to free the microusb port. I tried to switch to Ak100 II but it spoils the sound in comparison with Pioneer – not a very good signal via Optical.
So I’m looking at around 1000-1500 USD DAP which will be used as a transport for 60% of the time and as a DAP in 40% of the time (on the go), ideally with the same sound signature as Vantam (that’s why BB DAC is preferable). Services like Tidal and others just a plus here since they don’t make any impact on the DAC/Amp.
Balanced output is a MUST.
Bluetooth is needed for a remote control - no wireless headphones for sure.
No Fiio or any other Chinese devices please. 

So basically I can live without Tidal and bluetooth if the DAP is good enough as a DAP and the transport.

No optical out (digital coax with usb-c cable) and no balanced out, but everything else matches your requirements in Cayin N3 (read my review, on the front page now).

(ti ne poveresh kak horosho on zvuchit za $150 :wink:)

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #377 of 1,024
twister6, can you tell please, a few words about P2 amp power. Is it equivalent to Opus 1? Cuz Opus 1 output power was enough to drive my Ultrasone Sig Pro to desirable volume level, but only just. If P2 is weaker, it can be an issue.

P.S
Does P2 have turnable low/medium/high gain settings?

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #378 of 1,024
No optical out (digital coax with usb-c cable) and no balanced out, but everything else matches your requirements in Cayin N3 (read my review, on the front page now).

(ti ne poveresh kak horosho on zvuchit za $150
wink.gif
)

Does not match with my Vantam which has Optical input, micro usb for Anadroid input, and usb C type for Apple. No coaxial input is available.
All my cables are 2.5 mm TRRS - do not want to degrade to 3.5 mm ))

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #379 of 1,024
twister6, can you tell please, a few words about P2 amp power. Is it equivalent to Opus 1? Cuz Opus 1 output power was enough to drive my Ultrasone Sig Pro to desirable volume level, but only just. If P2 is weaker, it can be an issue.

P.S
Does P2 have turnable low/medium/high gain settings?

P2, just like PM2, has 2 gain settings, Headphone off (low gain, for earphones) and Headphone on (high gain, for headphones).

My most demanding full size right now is ATH-R70x, 470 ohm open back, those AT cans need more power to shine.  Here is how it stacks up using SE output on P2, PM2, and Opus#1 (I only have single ended termination on R70x).  Noted volume level below, everything is volume matched by ear.

P2:
low (earphone mode) - 125/140
high (headphone mode) - 110/140

PM2:
low (earphone mode) - 126/140
high (headphone mode) - 110/140

Opus#1:
middle gain - 149/150
high gain - 116/150

Keep in mind, I only tested SE output.  P2 balanced output has more power.  Also, while P2 is rated at 2Vrms for each (SE and BAL) and Opus#1 rated at 2.1Vrms (SE) and 2.3Vrms (BAL), I hear P2 as having a little more power in SE, and probably more in BAL as well.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #382 of 1,024
I've noticed funny thing on my P2, when I play DSD files the UV meters turns grey and are unactive also I cant use EQ.
On PM2 during playing the same music files (DSD) UV meters behaves normally and I can use equalizer.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #383 of 1,024
  I've noticed funny thing on my P2, when I play DSD files the UV meters turns grey and are unactive also I cant use EQ.
On PM2 during playing the same music files (DSD) UV meters behaves normally and I can use equalizer.

That's because DSD on PM2 is not native. It is downsampled PCM.

EQ and the VU meter will not function on DSD.

I did a comparison of the P2 with my P1 last Saturday. Found the bass was not as hard for P2 compared to P1. Mids is clearer on the P2 but may also sound sibilant.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #384 of 1,024

That's because DSD on PM2 is not native. It is downsampled PCM.

EQ and the VU meter will not function on DSD.

I did a comparison of the P2 with my P1 last Saturday. Found the bass was not as hard for P2 compared to P1. Mids is clearer on the P2 but may also sound sibilant.

What headphones are you using to test between P1 and P2?  As you probably aware, sibilance is not a "property" of your DAP but your headphones frequency response
wink.gif
  So, perhaps P1 is warmer smoother on the 6kHz peaks of your headphones, while P2 is more neutral and letting them "shine" more
biggrin.gif
  I actually find P2 bass having a little more impact over neutral (similar to LPG), so it sounds like P1 enhances it further.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #385 of 1,024
What headphones are you using to test between P1 and P2?  As you probably aware, sibilance is not a "property" of your DAP but your headphones frequency response :wink:   So, perhaps P1 is warmer smoother on the 6kHz peaks of your headphones, while P2 is more neutral and letting them "shine" more :D   I actually find P2 bass having a little more impact over neutral (similar to LPG), so it sounds like P1 enhances it further.

I was hearing them with the Oriolus Forsteni with SXC8 cables.
I doubt the p2 demo was burn in much as well if it makes a difference as it only arrived at the store a day or so.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #386 of 1,024
I doubt the p2 demo was burn in much as well if it makes a difference as it only arrived at the store a day or so.
Then must use Cowons eq, its good.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #387 of 1,024

Then must use Cowons eq, its good.

you know, as much as I always preach about EQ-free DAP use, Cowon with its JetEffect and semi-Parametric EQ is an exception
wink.gif
  I really mean it when I say that you can take a mediocre headphones and tweak it with JetEffect to sound awesome
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #390 of 1,024
i think for anyone who owns p1 or pm2 that p2 is a side grade

i will pass on this and wait for next cowon flagship

if i did not own pm2 i would buy p2 on the spot though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back