Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2,657 of 3,200
I would be very content with no Line Out if only there were some feature in the UI where you could make the volume = 40 in 1 screen tap.  Maybe this is possible in a custom UI??

I just dont like having to hold down the volume keys to get the volume from ~15 to 40 and back down after I'm done using "line out" via the headphone jack.  I do this when I plug it into my car's AUX In quite often so it would be very handy.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,660 of 3,200
Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply. You are very correct that some people might not notice it and it's almost not noticeable to others and also others can be in denial though haha. Thank you. Just to clarify too, the "not so solid built" part on mine is on the mid-bottom left, the screen just beside the hold-button. But I really think that the "not so solid built" part is not consistent, it can be in different corners on other players, heheh. Thank you for calming me down I owe you. lol. Btw my Ringke silicone case will be arriving soon and I think that would help me not notice it once I put it on. :D

Hmm...  Come to think of it, I didn't make that connection earlier.  I also got the case and I definitely haven't noticed anything like that since then.  Maybe the case in fact is why I stopped noticing it.  Either way, I don't think that could cause any significant problems regardless.  And, you're welcome.  Sorry for such a delayed response (haven't had a personal computer due to my main hard drive stopping to function).

Quote:
I've dropped my J3 a couple of times, but the impact was not very hard which is probably why it still works like a charm, lol.

Anyway, with the stock music UI, some album art would show up and some would not even though it is present in the files and other players/computers/etc. can display them, but after installing kizune's upgrade music UI a couple weeks back, no album art shows up at all anymore, just the varying "stock" colored music note for everything.  =\
What I do wrong?  Or is it troublesome like that?

I was thinking the same thing in the beginning and it's completely stupid.  I knew before and was annoyed but didn't realize it's significance; basically, the reason is most likely because the J3 doesn't support PNG image types and much of your album art may be in that format.  Why it got worse when installing Kizune's UI, I don't know... 

Sorry for the delayed response.  Haven't had a computer for casual use...

Quote:
^ first world problems

Lol, I am EXTREMELY picky and aware of needless tediousness/discomforts but even I wouldn't have come up with that one XD

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,661 of 3,200
Are the cowon j3 cheaper if I were to buy them in Korea? Do anyone of you know where to get them in Korea?

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #2,662 of 3,200

Quote:
Are the cowon j3 cheaper if I were to buy them in Korea? Do anyone of you know where to get them in Korea?

interpark.com

if you can't order them online, just go to any electronic stores, and they will all be the same price.

it is cheaper in korea online (compared to online from Australia), but I'm not sure about the store prices.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,663 of 3,200

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing in the beginning and it's completely stupid.  I knew before and was annoyed but didn't realize it's significance; basically, the reason is most likely because the J3 doesn't support PNG image types and much of your album art may be in that format.  Why it got worse when installing Kizune's UI, I don't know... 

The album art in my files is all jpeg.  No PNG whatsoever.  No EXIF info in the jpgs either.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #2,664 of 3,200
Well, according to the manual only 'progressive format' jpegs work. This is all i know about that, so i wouldn't know how to check your files either.
Also, i think there's a resolution limit, but it's well up over 1000x1000, so it's probably not that.

You could try recompressing a couple of the images, or download them again from another source.

EDIT: I misread that. Normal jpegs are supported. Progressive jpegs are only supported up to 1 megapixel.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,665 of 3,200
I had the 'problem' of my J3 swaping images between cover, band, DC or back cover, when available, and I didnt liked this. what I did was remove images with foobar and then attach them again, just the covers. and they all works fine.

also, check if the tag version is ID3V2, I think APEv2 is not supported, not sure.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,666 of 3,200
None have APE tags, some are progressive jpeg.  Several I prepared in photoshop.  None are close to the supposed resolution limit either.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,667 of 3,200
Also make sure they're RGB, not CMYK.

The thing about the manual mentioning that only progressive JPEGs are supported is very weird. I make sure that none of my JPEGs are progressive (since it's stupid and barely supported by anything) - and all my baseline optimized JPEGs work fine, without a hitch.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,670 of 3,200

Quote:
Also make sure they're RGB, not CMYK.

The thing about the manual mentioning that only progressive JPEGs are supported is very weird. I make sure that none of my JPEGs are progressive (since it's stupid and barely supported by anything) - and all my baseline optimized JPEGs work fine, without a hitch.

Baseline optimized?  I remember noticing that a few are.  I have not checked whether they are CMYK or RGB.  The ones that I prepared are all RGB as I never work with CMYK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back