Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2,446 of 3,200

Quote:
You sir, are a disgrace to Singapore. Have the decency to at least to try to type proper english.

oh, my sincere apologies. from now on, i will put in effort to type/speak American/British English in forums like these.

*P.S. the word, English, starts with a capital letter 'E', not 'english'*

please accept my humble apologies, ahmadmfz.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #2,447 of 3,200
One of life's skills is the ability to read a room.  Head-Fi (for the most part) is a mature forum.  If you want your posts to be taken seriously you might want to fit in a bit.  It's just good advice.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,448 of 3,200

Quote:
One of life's skills is the ability to read a room.  Head-Fi (for the most part) is a mature forum.  If you want your posts to be taken seriously you might want to fit in a bit.  It's just good advice.

^ Pretty good advice.

Let me rephrase the comment i posted. It's not really your language, it's more of your tone. 

Anyway back on topic, the J3 exhibits no sibilance whatsoever when paired with my p3 heron, even with BBE +10 and MP enhance set to 'on'. At least when paired with my JH5.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2,450 of 3,200
J3 's amp is pretty robust i must say

even at max 40 vol, it still have enough headroom for eq and bbe without any distortion

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2,452 of 3,200
i am pairing my J3 with an arrow amp 1g and i have a (maybe silly0 question

what is better sonic-wise , to top the volume of the arrow(10/10) and put wherever you like J3's volume knob (say 20/40)

or the other way round (j3 at 40/40 and arrow wherever i feel fine)

Thanx
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2,453 of 3,200
Experiment with it yourself! Try diff. settings till you think it sounds best. 

However.. the sound won't matter much, to me at least. I put my j3 at lvl30 and my amp at 10 'o clock. If i put my j3 at lvl40 i can hear a slight hiss, audible through my very sensitive JH5. 

Have fun playing around!

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #2,454 of 3,200
So my 32GB J3 (very gently used, from a forum member) arrived earlier today. Loaded about half my 30 GB library, and started checking out all the sound settings. Now I know Rockbox has lots of great features, but OMG, if more people owned a J3, there might not be a need for RB! All the JetAudio options make for a fantastic audio experience, making my ER-4P sound close to a bass monster (if I really wanted it to)! And when I experimented with adding the Penguin amp into the mix, I honestly think the sound became more congested or dense (and, no, I don't have the Stereo expand turned on at all). Just fantastic sounding!

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #2,455 of 3,200
Suppose I am a bit late to the J3 party 
rolleyes.gif
 but came across this PMP totally by accident the other day and it seemed to be the player I have been hoping Cowon would make for quite some time. Haven't been in the market for a player for awhile which is why I didn't know the J3 even existed. But when I saw the specs and read some reviews I hit up Amazon to ship me a 32gb o-nite.

I haven't read through this whole thread but I imagine my impressions fall in line with the general consensus. Cowon seems to have quite the winner here. I have wanted a Cowon for awhile but never pulled the trigger since they did not support gapless playback for the longest time. Then that changed but it always seemed like their offerings never hit the right combination of onboard and micro sd storage and feature set (really not interested in a full on PMP or an iTouch equivalent) and form factor. Then all of a sudden I come across the J3. So far I am happy with the player with 2 VERY minor quibbles:
  1. The cover for the micro sd and charge/data port doesn't feel like it is going to last long. I would have preferred if they surface mounted these ports.
  2. Wish this was really the iAudio 9 in regards to size (I know I am going to grab this thinking it is my phone! 
    tongue.gif
    )

I have been using a Sansa Fuze Rockboxed but the J3 has a lower noise floor which is nice. Drives full headphones quite efficiently as well.

Glad I joined the J3 bandwagon. Count me a fan!

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #2,456 of 3,200
^ Dude, with 3,846 posts on Head-Fi and you've never even "heard of" of the J3!?  What dark, dank corners of Head-Fi are sticking to?  
beyersmile.png

In all seriousness, it's a very capable DAP.  Enjoy.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #2,458 of 3,200
Hey, do you guys have any recs for software for syncing music to the cowon? I just got mine today and going straight to the device had a few issues with MP3 tags like albums and album art. It's with an .aac album btw

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,459 of 3,200

Quote:
Hey, do you guys have any recs for software for syncing music to the cowon? I just got mine today and going straight to the device had a few issues with MP3 tags like albums and album art. It's with an .aac album btw

AAC is NOT officially supported...I came across that little problem as well, as I have never checked beforehand if it supported AAC and went straight ahead to upload some AACs. They play alright, but first of all gapless is not supported with them, secondary...at least with me...track listing got all messed up...I guess the tags can't be read out correctly.

Album art is another issue I have. I'm now running Lame-MP3s tagged with iTunes on a Mac. The embedded cover arts from iTunes do NOT work properly, but I am 
running a script to extract the embedded cover arts into a jpg file and rename them all cover.jpg. That way they are shown properly.

By the way, the J3 runs fine with a Mac AFTER it has been formatted and then plugged back in.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,460 of 3,200

Quote:
AAC is NOT officially supported...I came across that little problem as well, as I have never checked beforehand if it supported AAC and went straight ahead to upload some AACs. They play alright, but first of all gapless is not supported with them, secondary...at least with me...track listing got all messed up...I guess the tags can't be read out correctly.

Album art is another issue I have. I'm now running Lame-MP3s tagged with iTunes on a Mac. The embedded cover arts from iTunes do NOT work properly, but I am 
running a script to extract the embedded cover arts into a jpg file and rename them all cover.jpg. That way they are shown properly.

By the way, the J3 runs fine with a Mac AFTER it has been formatted and then plugged back in.

Sounds like a useful script. Btw, any recommended EQ settings that really bring out the vocals? I found that most of the BBE presets boost instrumentals but not vocals somehow. The voices sound like they're drowning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back