Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2,416 of 3,200
My J3 finally arrived and I love it, but I am having an issue with it...

The usb cable (specifically the part that connects to the J3) doesn't seem to connect very well to the J3. When I connect it to the J3 it seems like it isn't going in all the way since there is still some metal protruding from the device (whereas usually things plug in all the way and hide the metal part of the plug)? Is this typical? Also, the connection is loose. So when I plug it in I have to be careful not to move the J3 or bump the cable because then my computer will lose its connection with it.

I also noticed that my USB cable is white but the one they sale on Jetmall is black.

Do you guys think I got a defective cable? J3? Or is this normal?

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2,417 of 3,200

Quote:
My J3 finally arrived and I love it, but I am having an issue with it...

The usb cable (specifically the part that connects to the J3) doesn't seem to connect very well to the J3. When I connect it to the J3 it seems like it isn't going in all the way since there is still some metal protruding from the device (whereas usually things plug in all the way and hide the metal part of the plug)? Is this typical? Also, the connection is loose. So when I plug it in I have to be careful not to move the J3 or bump the cable because then my computer will lose its connection with it.

I also noticed that my USB cable is white but the one they sale on Jetmall is black.

Do you guys think I got a defective cable? J3? Or is this normal?

That was one of a couple of reasons I sent my J3 back twice and finally moved on.  
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2,418 of 3,200

Quote:
The only one I can find one amazon Germany is the one from the Ultimate Ears...Does that one work well? Too bad I have thrown that one away, when I still had my Triple.Fis....

No, the UE adapter is 250 Ohm, way too much. You'd want something around 30-50 Ohm to be useful.

That Awwan guy makes great adapters, I bought two of his: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b92ead9

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,419 of 3,200

Quote:
That was one of a couple of reasons I sent my J3 back twice and finally moved on.  
frown.gif

Dang, that sucks.

Some good news though. My boss has an S9 (which uses the same USB cable as the J3) and he let me test out his cable right now at work (it is one of the black USB cables, not the white like I got) and it fit much better. It plugged in all the way and it didn't seem to move around at all. 

I'm going to try and contact Cowon and see if they will send me the correct USB cable.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,420 of 3,200

Quote:
I didn't care for my T4, but the P3+ I owned was a very nice amp.  Why not consider some of the new stuff FiiO is putting out?

which ones exactly? the e3, e5 and e7 has been out for a long time now with the e7 featuring a wolfson dac which i don't really want or need. Perhaps you are referring to the new e11, which garnered quite a bit of praise against the ibasso T3 which is the improved version of the T4 that I originally intended to get. But right now I'm searching for a good mini to mini ic and there's one going at a decent price if bundled with the T3...decisions decisions :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2,421 of 3,200
I haven't tried this one myself, but it's worth considering since it was reviewed by DKFT (who is a reputable source on both Head-Fi and ABI):
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=575173&postcount=31

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2,422 of 3,200

Quote:

tat is bcoz u nv push all the way in lol! when i 1st got it, i didnt dare to push all the way in... until my fren told me to LOLOLOLOL!

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,423 of 3,200

Quote:
tat is bcoz u nv push all the way in lol! when i 1st got it, i didnt dare to push all the way in... until my fren told me to LOLOLOLOL!

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but could you please try to use proper spelling while posting? I had to re-read your post to fully understand what you had meant to say.

Back onto the topic of the J3, does anyone know the release cycle of Cowon's devices? I know they recently revealed the iAudio 10, but is there usually a refresh of the Cowon products every year or two (the Cowon C2 was a refresh of the D2, the J3 was a refresh of the S9, etc)?

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,424 of 3,200
No, the UE adapter is 250 Ohm, way too much. You'd want something around 30-50 Ohm to be useful.

That Awwan guy makes great adapters, I bought two of his: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b92ead9

Thanks alot dfkt! He ships internationally for free so I just ordered one of those impedance adaptors! Will see how much more enjoyable the sound will be...

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2,425 of 3,200

Quote:
dfkt said:

Sorry guys, I missed that post.  I agree with dfkt.  I ordered mine at 75 Ohm and it works well when needed.  I also recommend getting a very small extension cable so the adapter is not directly plugged into the HP-Out.  This will reduce the amount of stress on the HP jack.  

The picture below is my adapter with a 9" Shure EAC9BK cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back