Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #2,371 of 3,200
My J3 works fine , but if (god forbid) it breaks down , where all you European-based users sent it back for repair ?

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #2,374 of 3,200
I'm thinking about the J3 player, so what do you guys think:  should I continue searching for a good amp for my Sansa Fuze (using line-out) to pair with my Ety ER-4P, OR should I just skip the amp route and go simple with a J3 player + ER-4P?  I listen to a wide variety of music, and use some EQ when needed.

BTW, the Fuze headphone out is almost completely shorted out, so I can only use it with line-out + amp.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,375 of 3,200
definitely j3+IEM's.  I don't like to carry amps and stuff on the go.  j3+good high level iem will give you endless hours of pleasure.   for two days now,i used my j3 as a source to my headroom ultra micro amp with gradp RS1 headphones.  and while the sound was amazing (headroom amp..what can one expect :) )  but i like the RS1 straight from the j3 even more...using the "maestro" sound preset and the flat pads on the grado.  the sound is UNBELIEVEABLE!  so much punch,deep but not muddy bass,crispy and clean highs.    do yourself a big favour and get cowon dap now!  j3 is the best flash cowon player so far.    if i get another cowon it would be the x7 for its huge battery and huge storage space.   but the j3 battery is also amazing and 64 gb of storage is a lot.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2,376 of 3,200

Quote:
The J3 is perfectly fine at full volume, without any distortions. No need to use a lower volume for an amp.

Interesting, I definitely heard some siblance at max volume when paired with my Arrow.  I know you had run the same setup for a while so I'm surprised you didn't experience the same thing.

My major beef was the channel imbalance on the Arrow because I only needed to push the volume about 10-15% for normal listening, also when run at max volume out.

I still enjoy the convenience of my iPod/Mac/iTunes setup, but that J3 is the best DAP I have ever heard.  I'm just so bummed that the two J3s I purchased were "lemons," and subsequently swore off Cowon.  Now if Apple would just acquire BBE I would be in heaven.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2,377 of 3,200
I've had the J3 for only a week and I've used it a full volume many times (usually with the "BBE Headphone 1" EQ). I get zero distortion, but I do normally use FLAC and 320bit. Frankly, unless the DR or mastering/production of a lossy track was extremely poor, file format...PROBABLY wouldn't matter in this regard. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,378 of 3,200

Quote:
I've had the J3 for only a week and I've used it a full volume many times (usually with the "BBE Headphone 1" EQ). I get zero distortion, but I do normally use FLAC and 320bit. Frankly, unless the DR or mastering/production of a lossy track was extremely poor, file format...PROBABLY wouldn't matter in this regard. 

Maybe it was the combination of "Mach Bass" and the Arrow amp, who knows?

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,379 of 3,200

Quote:
Maybe it was the combination of "Mach Bass" and the Arrow amp, who knows?

Hmmm....well I have a portable amp, but candidly as a very noobish audiophile, I find the difference between my amped J3 (no EQ) and the J3 with certain BBE EQs on to be very marginal, so I guess that's a possibility. I admittedly have tried very little of the 39 or whatever EQ presets, but I know that all of the ones I frequent offer no distortion, and there is definitely none when EQ is off, and unamped. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,381 of 3,200
any idea where to get silicon/plastics//jelly case?

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #2,382 of 3,200
any idea where to get silicon/plastics//jelly case?

Try Exportprive.com. They have been on my browser bookmarks for awhile now because the Cowon J3 was on my WTB list once, but my focus have since been shifted to other manufacturers, as I might be going Sony again. I think there's already plenty of positive feedbacks on ABI forums and here already regarding Exportprive's shopping experience, so you have nothing to worry about and they do ship to Singapore as well. :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,385 of 3,200
+1 on a ringke case for the J3.

Totally satisfied with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back