Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,176 of 3,200
The form factor I seriously am in love with the form factor I'm imaging it on my dash 
rolleyes.gif

Anyhow the J3 is the better, also it has BBE+ I don't know if the D2+ has that I don't remember.

I doubt the D2 does.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2,177 of 3,200
Haha...that's as good a reason as any, really.  You know, I've never actually put my DAP on my dash while driving.   It's usually just on the passenger seat or something.  Hrmm...

Cool...I'll let you know if I want to part with the D2+.  I'll send you a PM or something.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2,179 of 3,200
The D2+ has an intermediate BBE revision, it's the only Cowon with that generation of BBE stuffs. Everything before it had the old, more in-your-face BBE, everything after it has the current generation BBE. The D2+ for example doesn't have BBE ViVA or BBE Headphone presets. Also, don't forget it doesn't do gapless.

You probably know that you can turn any D2 into a D2+ and vice versa, they're the same hardware, just different firmware. Instructions for the firmware haxx can be found on ABI and iAudiophile.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2,180 of 3,200

Bought a J3. Best portable sound straight-out-of-the-package that I ever heard. (I always used Creative players before that) The UI was clunky as hell and the OS was slow but I loved it nonetheless.
Till it died on my 3 months after.
Now I'm deciding on whether I'll buy one again with my 'store credits' or if I'll buy something else. As much as I dislike apple products, I might go for a 160gig classic. I mean, at least it has a line out dock function which will pair up nicely with my Fiio amp.

Not sure if I'd recommend buying a J3. It's the best sounding device I've heard but, unstable and quirky. Besides that, costumer service or supply is almost non-existent in EU(The Netherlands specifically) so you'll have to think about that too.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #2,181 of 3,200
heliosonic, i have an j3 for some time now, about 5 months... i have to disagree, it is great... but what have you done to it so that it died... i can call myself an abuze user, as i droped it 1 time, and i am using it while i do extreme sports.... but dude, mine stays strong....  i would recomend it better than ipod.... especially if you can get the ringke case.... 

by the way, cowon supprt does not exist in any of the eu countries... in romania, there is no cowon thing... you have to send it all the way back to korea for support... 

but j3 is not bad, and it lasts...

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #2,182 of 3,200
Quick question guys.  I'm currently in the process of converting my whole iTunes library to around 224 AAC (VBR) to save space and I honestly can't hear any difference in a blind ABX test.  This is great because it saves space, but thinking ahead, should I stop converting to AAC and start converting to MP3?  I'm hoping to replace my iPod with the J3 soon and I'm not sure if the J3 can take AACs.  Can the J3 play AACs properly?  Or, should I start converting to MP3 instead?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2,183 of 3,200

Quote:
Quick question guys.  I'm currently in the process of converting my whole iTunes library to around 224 AAC (VBR) to save space and I honestly can't hear any difference in a blind ABX test.  This is great because it saves space, but thinking ahead, should I stop converting to AAC and start converting to MP3?  I'm hoping to replace my iPod with the J3 soon and I'm not sure if the J3 can take AACs.  Can the J3 play AACs properly?  Or, should I start converting to MP3 instead?

It won't show you album art or the bitrate of AAC files.  Other than that, playback is perfectly fine.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #2,185 of 3,200

Quote:
It won't show you album art or the bitrate of AAC files.  Other than that, playback is perfectly fine.

I can't figure out why people are saying this, album art works fine on mine!

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2,187 of 3,200

Quote:
I can't figure out why people are saying this, album art works fine on mine!

You got me REALLY excited for a second!  See below  v

Quote:
I've heard that if you put the album art as "cover.jpg" in each folder than it will work.  Is this true?

Probably that's why it works for Macrocheesium.  I have all my stuff manually organized, mainly by artist, so putting an album art picture in a folder does nothing.  All my album art is individually tagged with each song.  And besides, the other way, multiple album art doesn't and wouldn't work regardless so even then it only kinda works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back