Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,861 of 3,200
Well I've had mine for atleast a month now, and in the begining, it was pretty good. The EQ is wonderful as mentioned, and the whole interface is really nice and I especially like the radio feature.
The radio is by far the greatest surprise to me as for some reason i didn't know it came with one. But there are a lot of random thinbgs i surely dislike about the J3.

The drag and drop interface is really rather annoying. I ws hoping they would make they're own J3 organizing software, but instead we have to use third parties software, which is really annoying for me, since i only ever used itunes.

And the biggest problem? it bricked on me for no reason after 2 weeks of , get this, not using it. It was really weird because it would have the loading screen, and then give me whole bunch of pixelated junk instead of the main menu. Luckily, Thanks to Windows 7 (actually), it fixed the J3's drive....something went wrong somehow over the 2 weeks of off-time. 

So my impressions? Well, it's not incredible piece of hardware, but it does a damn good job for music, so I guess it's just kind of mediocre.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,862 of 3,200
>drag and drop interface is really rather annoying
Really? Most people I know loathe the iPod because it can't do DnD. Anyhow, if you must have some manner of organization software, use foobar2000. It can even handle iStuff. Better than any "first party" software I've used (iTunes, Zune, even Cowon/JetAudio's).

>I was hoping they would make they're own J3 organizing software
Uhm, why? It's not like every piece of hardware needs proprietary software for to use it (that would be a nightmare). But anyhow, the J3 does come with organization software: JetAudio. At least, my J3 had JetAudio on the little minidisc that was part of its packaging. Still crap compared to foobar2000.

Your other problem sounds like the J3's flash memory got corrupted somehow. The J3 just uses a FAT32 filesystem, so I'm not surprised that Win7 fixed it.

-- Griffinhart

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,863 of 3,200
Guys, thanx for the opinions, I def should look at iem's... yeah I'm going to use J3 with EQ for sure... before I had cowon d2 for 3 years...

As for:

Quote:
"I don't know how this works, and maybe this is a bit silly, but one of the ways I tried was to have them converted to WAV format. Still didn't play on the J3. I guess it doesn't play all WAV files."

Well, what software y used to convert the files? I use foobar player. Y see any software has numerous options to convert WAV - y way play with 16 Bit / 24 Bit  perhaps that's where the problem lies - Audio bit depth...? Cowon J3 according to specifications should work with 16/48 (I haven't heard about any problems with it - soo, even if it doesn't support 24/96 that should not be a big problem, take any diigtal vinyl recording and downsample it to "48"... but still one question is opened: A/mu-Law Wav (.wav)
ACM Waveform (.wav)
DVI/IMA ADPCM (.wav)
Microsoft ADPCM (.wav)
Windows PCM (.wav)

I don't no for now if J3 plays them all (in a week I will finally do some tests), perhaps not...

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,864 of 3,200
Drag and drop ftw.

To anybody who needs a case as mentioned before contact me.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,865 of 3,200

Quote:
Guys, thanx for the opinions, I def should look at iem's... yeah I'm going to use J3 with EQ for sure... before I had cowon d2 for 3 years...

As for:

Well, what software y used to convert the files? I use foobar player. Y see any software has numerous options to convert WAV - y way play with 16 Bit / 24 Bit  perhaps that's where the problem lies - Audio bit depth...? Cowon J3 according to specifications should work with 16/48 (I haven't heard about any problems with it - soo, even if it doesn't support 24/96 that should not be a big problem, take any diigtal vinyl recording and downsample it to "48"... but still one question is opened: A/mu-Law Wav (.wav)
ACM Waveform (.wav)
DVI/IMA ADPCM (.wav)
Microsoft ADPCM (.wav)
Windows PCM (.wav)

I don't no for now if J3 plays them all (in a week I will finally do some tests), perhaps not...

I done my converting with the JetAudio software that you can download for cowon DAPs. Can you explain how to use foobar to convert files, and how I can set which bitrate to convert to?

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,866 of 3,200
Why does my battery keep dying so fast? It died yesterday morning so I charged it for two hours, and it said it had 75% battery left when I unplugged it. I used it for about an hour (music only, screen shut off) and then put it on sleep and today morning it was dead again.

Even if I had music playing the whole time, it should've lasted through the night, right? So much for 64 hours of music playback/350 hours of sleep (which I put it on before I put it away). Darn thing has died every night I've had it, even in "sleep mode".

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,867 of 3,200
foobar:

1. Select the tracks you want to convert.
2. Right-click.
3. Convert -> ...
4. "Output format" lets you choose what to convert to, and the settings for that (e.g., bitrate if you're converting to MP3 or something).
5. Destination" let you choose where to place the converted files, and how to convert them (one track per file or a multitrack file), and the naming scheme (my default is %album Artist%/%album%/[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber% - ]%title%).
6. "Processing" lets you use any DSPs on the files if you want.
7. "Other" - stuff you want foobar to do once it's finished converting.
8. Click Convert and let foobar have at.

For step 4, if the format you want to convert to isn't listed, you need to download the relevant component and add it as a custom preset. (See: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:preferences:converter:custom_presets )

-- Griffinhart

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,868 of 3,200

Quote:
now, for really, i would not pair j3 with akg's,,,.... throught with sennheisers (wich eat much more electricity, and are more demanding) it sounded sweeeet to me.....

maybe because akg do not have any bass, to me the sound was like a nightmare.... but if you like akg k272hd sound out from anything else, cowon j3 will just make them sound eve better....

Sounds great with the k240S, and easily turns them into bass monsters.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,869 of 3,200

Quote:
Why does my battery keep dying so fast? It died yesterday morning so I charged it for two hours, and it said it had 75% battery left when I unplugged it. I used it for about an hour (music only, screen shut off) and then put it on sleep and today morning it was dead again.

Even if I had music playing the whole time, it should've lasted through the night, right? So much for 64 hours of music playback/350 hours of sleep (which I put it on before I put it away). Darn thing has died every night I've had it, even in "sleep mode".

Odd, hasn't happened to me, I listen to mine for about 4-5 hours every day with eq + flac files, put it to sleep every night and i get around 4 days. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,870 of 3,200
macrocheesium, for me it was the worst nightmare of all my time using the be loved j3 with akg k27X... they were lacking sound, qality, details, soundstage, and bass.... it was like dead music,... and i listen to a lot of headphones now.... i just probably do not like the sound signature of akg's..... i do liked the hd 380 from sennheiser much more.... akg just isn;t for me.... i will look forward into grado when i will have the chance...
anyone knows if grado sr80 is better than 60?....

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,873 of 3,200
Odd, hasn't happened to me, I listen to mine for about 4-5 hours every day with eq + flac files, put it to sleep every night and i get around 4 days. 

--------

Likewise. I listen from between 4 and 8 hours a day depending on workload and haven't really had my J3 drop below 50% and I charge it via USB every three or four days.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #1,874 of 3,200
OK, you may well know a certain DAC for Idevices which will enhance their sound experience compared to a decent amp, the CL Algorythm Solo DAC.

Now I want my J3 to work that way too, where I can use a specific amp (though without DAC or some setup that DAC can be used) that will surpass or may achieve what ALO/CL did to Idevices which will be used for Custom IEMs, and Bigger Headphones as well (like LCD-2).

Do you have any ideas for this?

My point is that I still want to use my Cowon J3 that may achieve or better than the setup with the IDevice->CL Algo-Solo. Too bad, that the Algo-Solo is only made for IDevices.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,875 of 3,200
You'd need a DAC specifically programmed to work with the J3's output data for something like that (much like how the AlgoRhythm is specifically programmed to interpret an iDevice's USB output data). Pretty niche market, I'd imagine. Haven't heard of such a device myself.

Though, if there's some sort of standard for USB audio data output, any device constructed and programmed to interpret that standard would work with the J3, assuming the J3's data output is also to that standard... again, I dunno if such a standard exists, or if such a device exists, or if the J3 adheres to the standard (if it exists).

-- Griffinhart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back