Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,847 of 3,200
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,849 of 3,200

Quote:
@Raguvian: Yup the encoder was an idiot. Who the hell puts H.264 in an AVI container? You put the newest codec in the oldest container... Brilliant! Also, J3 does not support H.264. 

The funny thing is, the J3 actually does (unofficially) support h264 in an AVI container. :) Of course it's utterly hack-ish, and it only supports baseline profiles (no CABAC, only one ReFrame, etc) - but for people low on space it is a nice option to get good quality video transcodes at a lower file size: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56633

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #1,851 of 3,200
The nice thing about the owon is that the EQ works really well without messing up the clarity of the sound. I use it all the time especially when i want to hear the bass thump.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,852 of 3,200
Are there people who are NOT satisfied with sound quality J3 delivers (not that I'm trying to compare with the sources like HM-801 or Colorfly c4, but any keystones?)? Please share/explain yr opinions/ideas :)) next week I'm going to buy J3... Also I'm pretty interesting if anyone here uses a combination: 1) J3 + AKG K272 HD  2) J3 + Westone UM3X

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,855 of 3,200
hdflow808, j3 works really sweet with iems, westone will sound sweeter than you ever dreamd from your j3....

cowon j3 sound really sweet with most of headphones, but i really had j3 + akg mk272hd.... it is the fuxing worst thing i ever heard....maybe that is the akg signature, i got similar resoults from my laptop, and from almost all sources, i returned the akg's..... now, for really, i would not pair j3 with akg's,,,.... throught with sennheisers (wich eat much more electricity, and are more demanding) it sounded sweeeet to me.....

maybe because akg do not have any bass, to me the sound was like a nightmare.... but if you like akg k272hd sound out from anything else, cowon j3 will just make them sound eve better....

I DO RECOMEND J3 OVER ANYTHING.. i am using it for 4 moths, and all i can say is that i am loving it.... i have used lots of players in past.... this is the first one that maked me listen to music in all of my free time... actually, it + sennheiser ie8 make my music dream be true..... i can say that i sounded  great even with yamaha eph60 (30$).... it maked them shine..... and until it i was using some iriver best product.... j3,.... is just..... something bettert than anything....

and it has much more than music, amoled touch screen, it can play videos, photos, and a great UI(user interface).... 

you cannot miss it for anything.... 

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,856 of 3,200

Quote:
I guess J3 shouldn't care about 24/96 / 24/192 cuz J3 WAV gives us blessed "16/48" amen! :)

I don't know how this works, and maybe this is a bit silly, but one of the ways I tried was to have them converted to WAV format. Still didn't play on the J3. I guess it doesn't play all WAV files.

I was half expecting the J3 to down-sample the 24/96 files, not just freeze on me...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #1,857 of 3,200

Quote:

Are there people who are NOT satisfied with sound quality J3 delivers (not that I'm trying to compare with the sources like HM-801 or Colorfly c4, but any keystones?)? Please share/explain yr opinions/ideas :)) next week I'm going to buy J3... Also I'm pretty interesting if anyone here uses a combination: 1) J3 + AKG K272 HD  2) J3 + Westone UM3X

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any player where someone isn't satisfied with the sound 
wink.gif
 The main thing you have to consider is if you would be willing to use the fantastic eq that the J3 has. The normal flat setting is average (imo slightly above average) compared to other players. The true kicker with the J3 is the eq + effects and the presets which totally transform the sound. That is the real selling point of the J3 sound imo. Many people choose not to eq, and if you are one of those people, there is a possibility that you might be disappointed. If you use the J3 to its fullest with the eq and everything, I can't imagine why you would be disappointed. 

Quote:

I don't know how this works, and maybe this is a bit silly, but one of the ways I tried was to have them converted to WAV format. Still didn't play on the J3. I guess it doesn't play all WAV files.

I was half expecting the J3 to down-sample the 24/96 files, not just freeze on me...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

As far as I know the J3 doesn't play 24/96 files

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,859 of 3,200

Quote:
Heck, as far as EQ goes, I just leave my J3 on Crystal Clear. Haven't been dissatisfied at all with any of the audio I've used thus far.

-- Griffinhart

This, you don't even have to use the custom eq, the presets are fantastic on their own. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,860 of 3,200
I'm not hearing much of a difference between the J3 and my 3GS.

Then again, I'm still stuck using my not so great Meelec M31's. I'm still really itching to try the J3 out with my SE215's. I thought I was going to be able to today but the cable didn't show up. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back