Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,471 of 3,200

Quote:

It has a lot of potential, but as it is right now it isn't complete. Perhaps with future firmware upgrades it will mature or even with Rock box, but as it is right now I cannot recommend it. I think a lot of the problems stem from the Android OS... Because of the Android OS it is buggy and has horrible battery life. However the screen is gorgeous, and the sound is as expected. For me, the real deal killer was the battery life though... If the D3 had 50+hrs of battery life I might have a D3 instead of a J3... I have experience with android and am sure I would have been able to fix the bugs fairly quickly with the help of some modding, rockbox, or some other method. 

Thanks for your thoughts on the D3. One other thing ... I really want to have one rig for audio and video. I am commute on the train in Tokyo and have used two rigs in the past - one for audio and one for video. Do you think the J3 would suffice. I do like the larger screen on the D3 and the video and of course audio quality. I am a bit torn to wait on the D3 to fix the issues and drop in price or pull the trigger on a J3.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,472 of 3,200

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts on the D3. One other thing ... I really want to have one rig for audio and video. I am commute on the train in Tokyo and have used two rigs in the past - one for audio and one for video. Do you think the J3 would suffice. I do like the larger screen on the D3 and the video and of course audio quality. I am a bit torn to wait on the D3 to fix the issues and drop in price or pull the trigger on a J3.

That is a tough one... The screen on the J3 is nice (just not terribly big) and does have a stellar battery so it would do well. But the D3 could be better except for the battery life. I can't speak of the future so I can't say when Rockbox will be done for D3 or if Cowon will fix all the bugs themselves. In the end it depends on how long you are willing to wait. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,474 of 3,200

Quote:
Am I the only one that uses my music player for music, and doesn't care about movies? Book + Music = enjoyable transit. Hell, I once mixed an audio book with fitting music for my friend so he could "read" a book while listening to his music while driving. I don't think I ever watch movies or videos on the go except for the occasional youtube or blip.tv. I just don't like watching videos on anything less than a 15in screen, and even that is pushing it

Nope, same here. My portable entertainment consists of my J3 for music and a PSP for gaming. I don't watch television in the first place, and when I do watch video, it's always on my home rig (which, as mentioned before, includes a pair of 24" widescreen monitors).

-- Griffinhart

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #1,475 of 3,200
Is any work being done on bringing rockbox to J3? Those who have used rockbox on other platforms, is it worth bringing rockbox to the J3 or is it good enough as is?

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,476 of 3,200
IMO I don't see the need for rockbox on the J3. I find the UI to be quite good and better than rockbox and there's a bunch of extras where even if there was a rockbox option I wouldn't bother.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,477 of 3,200

Quote:
IMO I don't see the need for rockbox on the J3. I find the UI to be quite good and better than rockbox and there's a bunch of extras where even if there was a rockbox option I wouldn't bother.

+1 I agree. J3 does not need rockbox at all. J3 is great as it is.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,478 of 3,200
Rockbox is good for poorly implemented UI's, but the J3's is nice.  That said, some of the community-designed UI's, like Kizune's efforts are awesome alternatives though.  I use the standard UI with Aero Music for the music player, as I like the added functionality without having to leave the music player itself. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,479 of 3,200

Quote:
Rockbox is good for poorly implemented UI's, but the J3's is nice.  That said, some of the community-designed UI's, like Kizune's efforts are awesome alternatives though.  I use the standard UI with Aero Music for the music player, as I like the added functionality without having to leave the music player itself. 

Agree 
smile.gif
 I use Chakra and Aero Music player as well, the playlist feature is awesome. 

Regarding rockbox, how about the EQ? Rockbox has a full parametric eq right? If rockbox were installed would that mean we would lose out on effects like BBE?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,480 of 3,200
I just got my J3 today. Is there anything important on the disc that comes with it or is everything I need available on the Cowon website (especially updated version)?

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #1,481 of 3,200
i've got no disc with my j3....
and not really asked why, it just works fine, and i've downloaded the jetaudio and upgrades from cowon site....

may i ask what is on the disk?...

i mean, at first, i was a little scared that i've got an refurbished unit because of the absence of this disc, and mine has already installed version 1.23 (buyied from exportprive)....

and for my ideea with recomending an player with amoled, it is because amoled is so much cool, just for ones, the j3's screen may look small.... that is all....
for me is ok, and the best for now.....

super amoled is even better than amoled....

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,482 of 3,200
You're not missing anything...just JetAudio and out of date drivers and firmware.  It's all there on the site.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,483 of 3,200
Yes, rockbox does have a full parametric eq... BUT! It is not hardware based which the J3 already has... it is software based. And from what I have heard hardware based EQ trumps software based no matter what. I'm not sure if you would lose out on effects like BBE, I can only assume you would, but I have never rockboxed a Cowon... I only rockboxed my 5g iPod. Good choice that was, too bad it died so soon... :frowning2:

If I am incorrect with what I said, please someone let me know, because I am honestly not fully sure.

Quote:
Agree 
smile.gif
 I use Chakra and Aero Music player as well, the playlist feature is awesome. 

Regarding rockbox, how about the EQ? Rockbox has a full parametric eq right? If rockbox were installed would that mean we would lose out on effects like BBE?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,484 of 3,200
I hack, tweak and mod everything from my pc's to my cell phone and my camera equipment. But the J3? I haven't even installed a custom UCI. My only adjustment is setting up a custom EQ configuration that makes my Atrio M5s really shine. Detailed, forward mids AND punchy bass. The only reason I'd ever sell the J3 would be if somebody offered to trade a 32gb version for my 16gb version 
biggrin.gif

If Cowon ever makes a player with the same UI, sound quality and EQ as the J3, but with a harddrive and optical out, I might consider it for use with my iBasso D12, but I'd keep the J3 for portability. This thing with a proper set of IEMs == Audio bliss in your pocket, I carry mine at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back