Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,201 of 3,200
Hi all,

I've had my j3 for about 5 days, I like it, but I'm finding it a bit "shrilly" sounding, anyone else getting this impression? I'm listening on se530s...I've spent a TON of time fussing w/ the eq....and everyone still sounds like sylvester the cat :wink: ... ok, its not that bad, not enough for me to return the player but it bothers, I never had an issue like this with any of my zunes' or creative players

Any se530/535 owners have this problem? what eq / BBE setting are u using?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,203 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:
Ringke case is nice, but since my Arrow arrived, I stopped using it.  I FINALLY found a decent case that fits the two with my Whiplash mini. 

what case do you use now?

An Acme Sleek video case.  It's for a Flip video thingamabob, but it perfectly fits the J3/Arrow and a little microfiber cloth for screen cleaning.  It's got a double zip and side supports so it doesn't fully open, making it hard for the player to fall out, and you can zip it fully and still have your headphone cable out.  It's super low-profile, no wasted space or size, and has hard(ish) sides, so it's the next best thing to no case at all, and still fits in your pocket.  Best Buy only carries the white one, unfortunately, but they make it in other designs.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,205 of 3,200
The Sony X had this feature before the J3 came out.

Quote:
one feature on j3 is useful to me, it can lock touch screen, then changing volume or changing the tracks won't turn on the screen, i don't think i see other dap has this feature.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,207 of 3,200
I will always be grateful to this amazing community for upgrading my listening to music experience by 1000%

J3 + RE-252/262 = ftw.

I can't even imagine how i lived so many years before carrying around my discman+cd case while listening from crappy 10$ sony buds.

Nothing beats evolving , even in something not so 'wow' as the way you listen to music.

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #1,208 of 3,200
So I've had the Cowon J3 with the Westone 2 earphones for a little over a month now. Overall, I'm content with my purchase. I just wish there was a convenient way to make more playlists on the fly besides the favorites list. The Headphones 3 setting seems to work best since it compensates for the W2's slightly weak bass. It kinda makes me wonder how much better more expensive IEM's sound. Maybe I'll get the W4's someday. Hopefully they won't require an amp either. 

I'm using the Rearth Ringke and a screen protector from Realook. They seem to be doing the job well with protecting my J3.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #1,209 of 3,200
No, I have an SE535 and don't have that problem. Can you tell me what EQ settings you have on your J3?

Quote:
Hi all,

I've had my j3 for about 5 days, I like it, but I'm finding it a bit "shrilly" sounding, anyone else getting this impression? I'm listening on se530s...I've spent a TON of time fussing w/ the eq....and everyone still sounds like sylvester the cat :wink: ... ok, its not that bad, not enough for me to return the player but it bothers, I never had an issues like this with any of my zunes or creative players

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,210 of 3,200
Pizza, it's got really easy access, and you can open the zippers on the side where the buttons are if you want, so you can reach in and change tracks, but if you want to fiddle with the touch screen, you're SOL.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,212 of 3,200
Sure, np

3       -1         -1          -7         -3 or -4
80hz  300hz  1.1khz  3.0khz     6.9khz
Norm  Norm   Norm    Norm       Norm

BBE            3
mach3bass 1
3d Sound    3  <=== More than 5ish on this setting introduces more shrillness
MP Enhan   0  <=== Enabling this produces clearer mids but shrilly highs
Reverb        0  <=== Enabling this kinda kills the shrillyness a bit but introduces unwanted echo effect for certain songs.

I feel like the settings above put my shrilly sound issue to a minimum, but at the lost of some clarity  in the high end of the spectrum. =(

Quote:
No, I have an SE535 and don't have that problem. Can you tell me what EQ settings you have on your J3?

Quote:
Hi all,

I've had my j3 for about 5 days, I like it, but I'm finding it a bit "shrilly" sounding, anyone else getting this impression? I'm listening on se530s...I've spent a TON of time fussing w/ the eq....and everyone still sounds like sylvester the cat :wink: ... ok, its not that bad, not enough for me to return the player but it bothers, I never had an issues like this with any of my zunes or creative players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back