Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #991 of 3,200

Quote:
Why do you guys use a case with your J3s?  I havent botthered with one so far and had no issues or scratches at all.  The screen seems to be made from alien glass or something, cos I'm not exactly treating the thing with kid gloves.

Mine came with a silicone case and since I'm a hamfisted ogre, I've left it on. The glass isn't alien, it's Gorilla Glass :) My cellphone has the same glass and I love that I don't have to baby it. No scratches to the back cover either you say? I might just ditch the cover anyways...

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #992 of 3,200
Nope, no marks at all on the front, or the back for that matter.  And anyway, I got the Arrow stuck to the back now.

Hats off to Cowon for whatever material they've used.  The J3 is the antithesis of the iPod, which gets scratched to buggery and beyond as soon as you so much as even blink in its direction.

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you guys use a case with your J3s?  I havent botthered with one so far and had no issues or scratches at all.  The screen seems to be made from alien glass or something, cos I'm not exactly treating the thing with kid gloves.

Mine came with a silicone case and since I'm a hamfisted ogre, I've left it on. The glass isn't alien, it's Gorilla Glass :) My cellphone has the same glass and I love that I don't have to baby it. No scratches to the back cover either you say? I might just ditch the cover anyways...

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #993 of 3,200
The one i am getting comes with a screen protector and a ringke silicon case....I will let you know my take on it once it arrives (come on damn it , come on !!!)

Quote:

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #994 of 3,200

Quote:
waiting for my J3 to arrive - stuck somewhere between Sweden and where i live - i can't wait for it to arrive
L3000.gif

Anyone else besides Bennyboy here that has paired it with an Arrow amp ?

Impressions ?

For the IEMs I use with the J3 (IE8, SM3, UE11, e-Q5, etc), the Arrow makes no difference whatsoever.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #995 of 3,200
so  how was your review On the arrow such a glowing one ?

I am confused....

Quote:
Quote:
waiting for my J3 to arrive - stuck somewhere between Sweden and where i live - i can't wait for it to arrive
L3000.gif

Anyone else besides Bennyboy here that has paired it with an Arrow amp ?

Impressions ?

For the IEMs I use with the J3 (IE8, SM3, UE11, e-Q5, etc), the Arrow makes no difference whatsoever.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #996 of 3,200
Not sure what you read into my review of the Arrow, or between the lines. Maybe read the "sound" and the "reality check" paragraphs of my review again. The J3 doesn't need an amp for the phones I use with it, other players/phones might benefit from one. For the J3 that's a good thing, in my opinion - one less brick to lug around. An amp isn't a magical device that improves everything it's tacked on, but it might help fixing flaws in players that need some fixing. Or if you want to drive a HD650 with your J3, the Arrow might be a good choice as well - but as for any IEMs I use with it, it's not needed.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #997 of 3,200
@ proedros

I mostly second what dfkt says with an exception. (And I wouldn't blame folks for lambasting me for going a little off-topic) I'm happy with my IEMs plugged straight into my J3. However, I prefer my Shures when my J3 is connected to my Arrow. It's hard to get good bass on the SE530s and the Arrow's bass is hard to beat in the portable realm.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #999 of 3,200
Yeah. Sorry. Didn't mean to be unclear.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #1,000 of 3,200
That's one feature that I'm looking forward to playing with when I get my J3 - "which does a better job at bass boost?"

I suspect it will be the Arrow.  Setting "1" is perfect when paired with warm headphones.

Sorry.. back to the J3 discussion.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #1,001 of 3,200

I have user EQ presets for with and without the Arrow. With Arrow, J3 EQ is flat on bass and I let the Arrow do the heavz :wink: lifting.
Quote:
That's one feature that I'm looking forward to playing with when I get my J3 - "which does a better job at bass boost?"

I suspect it will be the Arrow.  Setting "1" is perfect when paired with warm headphones.

Sorry.. back to the J3 discussion.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,003 of 3,200

Dfkt, I'm looking into the J3 for my SM3's. I find the SM3's a little on the warm side and was looking for a neutral DAP for them. What are your thoughts on this pairing? Do the Sm3's sound great with the J3?

On a different note, I've also been reading on this thread that the Arrow amp works well with the J3. It's my understanding that the J3 has no line out, so you would need to connect the Arrow to the J3's headphone out, wouldn't this be double amping and be detrimental to the sound?

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #1,004 of 3,200
aha i see - i am using the RE-252 and RE-262

You think an amp isn't neded ?

Thanx for the feedback on this....

Quote:
Not sure what you read into my review of the Arrow, or between the lines. Maybe read the "sound" and the "reality check" paragraphs of my review again. The J3 doesn't need an amp for the phones I use with it, other players/phones might benefit from one. For the J3 that's a good thing, in my opinion - one less brick to lug around. An amp isn't a magical device that improves everything it's tacked on, but it might help fixing flaws in players that need some fixing. Or if you want to drive a HD650 with your J3, the Arrow might be a good choice as well - but as for any IEMs I use with it, it's not needed.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #1,005 of 3,200
So should I leave the Shure SE535 + J3 setup that I have unamped, or amped? Because I already have a custom EQ for unamped. What would be a good EQ setting for SE535 + Arrow + J3? (f I did get an amp, it would most likely be the arrow, seeing how people are heaping loads of praise on its synergy with this PMP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back