Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #931 of 3,200

Quote:
clunky? I have no issues with recommending the J3 to a casual non audiophile. In fact I like the UI better than any other dap I've tried or tested.

Now the HM601 I have is an entirely different story..

could you quickly compare the J3 to the HM601 for me, in terms of pure sound quality? IE: if HM601 is 100%, what % is the J3?I'm torn between the two.. I use Grado SR225s so Im wanting to make the best choice. I hear the HM is warm, which is good. But the EQ on the J3 may good enough for me.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #932 of 3,200
Anyone have a permanent fix for the clock issues? Going to the radio only fixed it temporarily. I tried going back there after it froze again, and it didn't work...

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #940 of 3,200
i read in another J3 review , that people have problem with the FLAC gapless playing

Is this true ?

I mean , J3 plays the flac tracks seamlessly in gapless mode , right ?

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #942 of 3,200
great , that's what i needed to hear

(and greetings there to your lovely country)
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I've never experienced any problems with gapless playback when using FLAC files.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #943 of 3,200
Didn't get on with the Panasonic HJE-900s on my J3, so returned them and bought Ultimate Ears 700 on a special offer. Nothing special, I thought, very detailed but lacking in low-end bass and in attack in general. Was getting ready to return them too and give myself the luxury of a good audition of a few models. Then I misplaced the J3 and sparked up my elderly Cowon X5 instead. Now I am thinking of getting shot of the J3. What a difference. Some real slam from the X5, something I didn't realize I had missed. And the detail was superb. I was able to follow all parts of the percussion for the first time on a pair of IEMs over a mix of music over many hours.

I am not necessarily saying the X5 is better than the J3 but the UE 700 must be a mismatch with the J3, considering the X5 was on flat EQ with just MP enhance and that I couldn't come near to matching it with the J3, no matter what BBE bells and whistles I threw at it. This leaves me a bit confused. Surely the J3 has more power than the X5, or at least enough to make the 700s sing? Now it seems to me that the J3 has going for it: good battery life and better SQ than my ipod (or mini TV as I prefer to think of it). This doesn't justify the outlay. Maybe brand loyalty was a mistake and I should have replaced my D2 with something else. But what?

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #944 of 3,200
Just went ahead and bought a 16 GB

Hope this thing is as good as people say it is.

Happy times for being an audiophile i guess

(next stop : arrow amp land.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back