Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #887 of 3,200
I also was into R/C cars, and the LiPo's used in R/C cars are different to the ones used in general electrics, for 1 if you discharge a LiPo that goes into a R/C car it won't charge back up, and 2 they can set on fire pretty easy

Quote:
You're completely wrong and I won't argue with you on this point after this post.  Don't post about something you seem to know little about.  It's dangerous to others that may read it and believe it.  One of my many hobbies is R/C cars so I have a great deal of experience with various types of batteries.  

The only advantage of cycling batteries through a charge-discharge cycle is to change the memory by increasing the battery's maximum potential voltage from what it was stored at.  LiPo batteries have little to no memory so discharging them like NiHM and NiCad batteries is unnecessary.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #888 of 3,200
OK, I'm breaking my own rule because your ignorance is killing me.

You can't discharge LiPos at too high a rate or too low a voltage for fear of thermal runaway which will expand the battery to the point of explosion or fire.  But you can discharge LiPos, that statement is just stupid.  Using a battery is a form of discharge.  If you couldn't charge a LiPo after discharging it, it would be a one-use battery - therefore not rechargeable.. which IT IS NOT.

The argument is whether discharging and charging (otherwise known as cycling) a LiPo is beneficial and IT IS NOT.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #889 of 3,200
Aaargh! Need a bit of help chaps. Just turned my J3 on and it claims there is no music there! I checked on my PC and all music files are still there. All I did was turn it off while a song was playing, and now nothing!

I went into settings and tried to update DB - It took a while but still no songs. Any ideas?

PS-  I'm running 2.21 I think.

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #891 of 3,200

Quote:
My j3 just froze. I tried turning it off, pressing the reset and connecting it to my PC.
Nothing worked.
What should i do?
It froze during a song.

You held the reset button for more than 10 secs or at least till it turned off?

I take your J3 froze and gave out static through your headphones, right?

i remember my j3 freezing two times.
The 1st one was solved by holding the reset button

The 2nd one i was around Manhattan and had to find a little twig to push the reset button :D
the j3 died cause of the low battery a few mins after anyways :frowning2:

Quote:
Aaargh! Need a bit of help chaps. Just turned my J3 on and it claims there is no music there! I checked on my PC and all music files are still there. All I did was turn it off while a song was playing, and now nothing!

I went into settings and tried to update DB - It took a while but still no songs. Any ideas?

PS-  I'm running 2.21 I think.

Thanks.

Update your Firmware.

The other FW are outdated and are buggy.
Some are rather unstable

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #892 of 3,200
I hope this can help somebody if their j3 freezes. When i first got my player it froze up and i could hear the hiss out of the headphones but there was no response by pressing any of the buttons. So , i used a pen to try and push the reset button. This did not work. After about half an hour i tried with the end of a thumbtack and it resetted in an instance. Just remember to use something thin enough to actually push it in,.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #893 of 3,200
I guess I'll just keep on recharging it when I'm not using it and hope that the J3 fixes itself somehow. I'm often adding music to it anyway. I still haven't fixed the program with the clock resetting, though. Is that normal?

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #894 of 3,200
Thanks.. I tried to reset yesterday using a pen and that didnt work.
But, today i used a pin and it shut off straight away.
Apparently, it still says battery is 100%. good thing i didnt have to let the batter drain out... it could have taken hours and even now, it had been frozen for about 12 hours..

Is cowon j3 freeze more frequently than it should?
shouldn't Cowon fix this bug or something?

thanks

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #895 of 3,200
The freezing bug happened when i was on the matrix album mode and i turned the J3 back to normal mode
it happened two times.

Quote:
Unfie said:

I guess I'll just keep on recharging it when I'm not using it and hope that the J3 fixes itself somehow. I'm often adding music to it anyway. I still haven't fixed the program with the clock resetting, though. Is that normal?

You can go to your System and touch Database Update
This will update your database and even fix the clock problem.

If you have not updated to the latest firmware, then you should do so.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #896 of 3,200
I've been charging almost all of my gadgets every day when they're still 75%+ full and I've never had a problem, nor have I seen battery life decreasing.  Li-ion and Li-poly batteries definitely don't need cycling or discharging.  That's for stuff like ni-mh or ni-cd.
I've only had my J3 freeze once when browsing the settings.  Just make sure you get something sharp to hit the reset switch with, you should be able to feel it click down.  I disabled my matrix because it's laggy and it takes forever for the album pictures to load up, and I didn't really like it anyways.

I had a quick question, I'm running out of space and need a micro sd card.  I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a class 10 or if a class 6 would be fine.  Would there be a noticeable difference?  I saw in videos that the J3 boots up very quickly even with a low class microsd card in.  I plan to use the card for both videos and music.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #898 of 3,200
Just finished reading through the thread :)

At around page 5 I decided that I needed a J3. Last night, at around page 40, I paypalled another head-fi'er for the J3 16gb he was selling. Now I just have to play the waiting game...

...I'm bored, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist the Simpons reference. Seriously though, I can't wait to see how the J3 matches up with my Atrio M5's and how it compares to the Rockboxed 5.5 gen iPod currently pumping Flac's into my ears.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #899 of 3,200
Is this 4 mpbs noticeable on your J3? I don't need a card right now, but I plan to get a 32 GB card in the future.

Quote:
The speed class makes no difference whatsoever. The J3's SD controller is slower than even the slowest card out there. With my Class 2 Sandisk 16GB I get about 12mbps write speed in a dedicated fast card reader, but only 4mbps in the J3's slot.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #900 of 3,200
It doesn't matter at all, everything plays flawlessly over such a pipeline. An average 640x480 XviD is about 1mbps, when it's ripped with reasonable (or even generous, when h264 is concerned) bitrate, so there's lots of headroom. There really aren't any modern players with faster SD slots available, 3-7mbps is about average.

EDIT: I can't be sure the external transfer rate is the same as the internal one, as far as the J3 communicates - but as I said, there are no slowdowns for audio/video at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back