Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #871 of 3,200
It looks like you also have to browse by folders to get that random play function working. All these symbols on the J3...it's like speaking another language.

I fixed the album art issue by deleting the cover.jpg and getting a new one. I'm not sure how that worked, but it did.

After listening some more on the J3 with my W2's, it turns out that the bass seems to be slightly lacking for me. Maybe I'm slowly turning into a basshead. I'm using ATH-M50's connected to a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for my computer. That has enough bass. I think I'll have to use the BBE Mach3Bass setting although the BBE ViVA 2 is alright.

Quote:
On page 18 of the .pdf manual there is instructions for using random play but i think it only works within the current album directory. I read somewhere that firmware 2.23 support .m3u playlists but i cant be sure of that, other than that see the link below.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56586

UPDATE: if you select random play and play all files in cowon j3 then it will play randomly outside the current directory.

hope this helps

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #872 of 3,200

Quote:
Okay, I've gotten over the initial shock of the J3. I have a slight problem now: one of my flac albums won't display the album art. Yes, I named it to cover.jpg. It doesn't show up on the pictures list so I'd think it's being recognized as album art.

It's probably a progressive JPEG. Convert it to a baseline JPEG and try again.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #875 of 3,200
I have one question. But before, I like good bass & own Shure SRH 750DJ, which are similar to SRH 840 ( sound ). Is bass roll-off noticeable ? Especially ( if someone listened to it ) on 750DJ or 840 ?
My genre is rap.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #877 of 3,200
@leberserkfury. Bit new to some of these terms had to look up 'synergy'. I think so having 3 seperate drivers prefer them to some ie8's ive got although they have 3 coils. The bass doesnt overwhelm the low mid's unlike the ie8's.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #878 of 3,200
Unfie, you can use random play anywhere, easiest is to go into songs, play 1 then click the blue bar at the top, click the 2nd option on the dropdown bar, and then click on the 2nd option on the next drop down bar, and now you have random on

Quote:
It looks like you also have to browse by folders to get that random play function working. All these symbols on the J3...it's like speaking another language.

I fixed the album art issue by deleting the cover.jpg and getting a new one. I'm not sure how that worked, but it did.

After listening some more on the J3 with my W2's, it turns out that the bass seems to be slightly lacking for me. Maybe I'm slowly turning into a basshead. I'm using ATH-M50's connected to a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for my computer. That has enough bass. I think I'll have to use the BBE Mach3Bass setting although the BBE ViVA 2 is alright.

Quote:
On page 18 of the .pdf manual there is instructions for using random play but i think it only works within the current album directory. I read somewhere that firmware 2.23 support .m3u playlists but i cant be sure of that, other than that see the link below.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56586

UPDATE: if you select random play and play all files in cowon j3 then it will play randomly outside the current directory.

hope this helps

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #879 of 3,200
Random doesn't seem to be working for albums. Anyway, I'll mess around with it some more later. I have another issue: the battery life isn't as "legendary" as it should be. I had the J3 for only a day and it hasn't even been on the whole time. I've had it playing for less than 20 hours, and it's already out. Played it overnight wanting to see how long it would last. Is my J3 busted?

Additionally, the clock time keeps on changing when I plug into USB, disconnect, and turn back on. I have firmware version 2.23, and I did charge the battery to full before updating the firmware.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #880 of 3,200
I've always had good battery life on them and don't think I've gotten anything under 55 hours or so. I usually play random all my song or just play by album. I don't think you can randomize albums.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #881 of 3,200
I've read somewhere that batterys need a few charges / discharges before they reach their top potential. I've never had an empty battery with my current J3 because I put new music on regularly.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #884 of 3,200
Dec 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #885 of 3,200
You're completely wrong and I won't argue with you on this point after this post.  Don't post about something you seem to know little about.  It's dangerous to others that may read it and believe it.  One of my many hobbies is R/C cars so I have a great deal of experience with various types of batteries.  

The only advantage of cycling batteries through a charge-discharge cycle is to change the memory by increasing the battery's maximum potential voltage from what it was stored at.  LiPo batteries have little to no memory so discharging them like NiHM and NiCad batteries is unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back