Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #856 of 3,200

Quote:
I mainly MM because I think it is the best free media center. The Gold version doesn't seem to have that many more features and I don't feel like paying ~$50 for J River.

It really doesn't have that many more features, true. I had already replaced the time-limited LAME encoder in the free version beforehand, but I was intrigued by the automatic library scan at start-up and the ability to use multiple CPU cores for transcodes.....and it will burn CD's faster than the free version. Of course, I no longer use MM for my transcoding or ripping, but the library scan and CD burning are still nice. I also got a special reduced price on my Gold installation thanks to a buddy of mine.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #857 of 3,200

Quote:
Album art issues.......were you using it to add your album art to your albums? I add my art separately with xrecode or MP3Tag.

The problem I was having was that the album in the right-hand viewing pane would sometimes show the album art and sometimes wouldn't.  There are many posts on the MM Forums about this and nobody has offered up an explanation for why this happens on some machines or a reasonable solution for correcting the problem.  The only solution found was to delete a Media Monkey system file and re-open MM.  It would re-cache the album art only to do it again weeks later.

I got frustrated using a buggy program - THAT I PAID FOR, so I left MM for good.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #858 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:
Album art issues.......were you using it to add your album art to your albums? I add my art separately with xrecode or MP3Tag.

The problem I was having was that the album in the right-hand viewing pane would sometimes show the album art and sometimes wouldn't.  There are many posts on the MM Forums about this and nobody has offered up an explanation for why this happens on some machines or a reasonable solution for correcting the problem.  The only solution found was to delete a Media Monkey system file and re-open MM.  It would re-cache the album art only to do it again weeks later.

I got frustrated using a buggy program - THAT I PAID FOR, so I left MM for good.

Fair enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's never been an issue for me...... I've never had the art viewer enabled on mine, because if I do listen with the computer, then I have MM(lossy) or foobar(lossless) minimized anyways. But only about 20% of my listening is from the computer.....most of the time, I'm using one of my DAP's.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #859 of 3,200
I used to do most of my listening on my DAP, but after investing in my Icon HDP, HD600s and Pro 750s I find most of my listening now to be at my desktop.

That is until I finally get my Arrow 12HE 3G amp (hopefully before I'm old and grey and retired).  If I can listen to my full-size cans with a portable amp around the house I might change my listening habits.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #860 of 3,200
I used to do most of my listening on my DAP, but after investing in my Icon HDP, HD600s and Pro 750s I find most of my listening now to be at my desktop.

That is until I finally get my Arrow 12HE 3G amp (hopefully before I'm old and grey and retired).  If I can listen to my full-size cans with a portable amp around the house I might change my listening habits and buy this J3 that I've been threatening to purchase for months.  Heck, I started this thread.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #861 of 3,200
Since you started the thread you have some kind of responsibility to buy yourself a J3 then :)

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #863 of 3,200
So I took the plunge and ordered a J3 from Jet. 

Thanks for the software suggestions; I've got some file conversions ahead of me.

Now I need to get a cable if I want to try my Pico slim or RSA SR71A with the J3. I have never seen a J3 in person yet, so having trouble envisioning whether straight or right-angle cable would be best to carry around with J3 and Slim. Also, I saw custom lengths available on Whiplash. If I end up with a choice in length would 4" be ideal? I see 4" & 6" options. My old RSA ipod LOD can't be more than 4" with straight connector and even that seems like more cable than you really need. Suggestions appreciated!

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #864 of 3,200
You probably will be better off with a right-angle plug (it is usually sturdier and will have a slimmer profile). The length of cable depends on where you want your amp. Do you want it towards the bottom of the J3, the middle or the top?

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #866 of 3,200
Ive never had a problem with MM and album art, I did however have a problem with 2 albums and there tags once I synced it with the J3 (wasn't a problem on the Fuze or Clip+) MP3Tag sorted it though, but Ive only used it since 3.6 (cause I got my copy cheap)

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #867 of 3,200
My J3 finally arrived with a bunch of other goodies! Since I had to charge the J3, I plugged it in and messed around with my other goodies, one of them being the newest Creative HD USB sound card and my Westone 2 earphones. I wanted to see how my earphones sounded like before using them on my J3. So I attached the 1/4" connection to the W2's and plugged in. To my disappointment, they didn't sound very good. Figuring that I just needed to get a better fit or put on a different set of tips, I experimented but couldn't get something that sounded good. So I settled for the tips that gave me the most bass since that seemed to be what was lacking the most. I felt that I wasted $200, but I figured I'd also wait until I could try them out on the J3 before passing final judgment (It's also difficult to return something when you're on a COP in Afghanistan).

Fast forward a few hours later, I get the J3 charged with the firmware updated. I plug in the W2's and listen to a song. It sounded so much better! I'm not sure why; maybe there's something going on with my sound card or the 1/4" connector. Remembering that people said it's supposed to be used with the BBE equalizer, I go to change the settings, and what do you know...

It really hit the spot! I couldn't believe it! I think my portable system sounds better than my headphones + USB sound card! Thank you all for recommending this player! Nobody answered my question earlier about the amp, but it doesn't sound like I'll need one.

I gotta admit, though...it'll take a bit to get used to this UI.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #868 of 3,200
Okay, I've gotten over the initial shock of the J3. I have a slight problem now: one of my flac albums won't display the album art. Yes, I named it to cover.jpg. It doesn't show up on the pictures list so I'd think it's being recognized as album art. Also, do you have to manually create playlists outside the player other than the "favorites" playlist on the J3? I'd really like to be able to do something as simple as playing random songs, but that doesn't seem possible.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #869 of 3,200
On page 18 of the .pdf manual there is instructions for using random play but i think it only works within the current album directory. I read somewhere that firmware 2.23 support .m3u playlists but i cant be sure of that, other than that see the link below.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56586

UPDATE: if you select random play and play all files in cowon j3 then it will play randomly outside the current directory.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back