Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #842 of 3,200

Quote:
You really don't need an amp for such phones with the J3. It won't make a difference.

x2 ... kinda

I think an amp would help, but your money would be put to much better use simply getting better headphones.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #843 of 3,200
So if I have JH13s and already own a Pico Slim and RSA SR71A, with a J3 would I be likely to not hear an improvement, and end up selling the amps?

Also, some comments online seem to imply that the J3 can handle file formats not officially supported. Would AIFF fall in this camp? Thanks!

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #844 of 3,200
I don't have any AIFF files to test, but it's basically uncompressed PCM, like WAV, maybe it works... why would you want to put such files on the player? They're huge and can't be tagged. Converting them to lossless FLAC seems like a better way to go, for ease of use and saving half the storage space.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #845 of 3,200
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any experience with file conversion and figured that I'd like to avoid the hassle if possible.

I share my library with girlfriend, who is an ipod/itunes user, so I keep the itunes library all AIFF files for now.  My car has built-in ipod adapter for the GPS/stereo that includes steering wheel volume control etc, that I don't want to give up, so I will keep a spare ipod for the car, and use the J3 or something similar for my serious listening.

Looks like file conversion to FLAC is my best option sonically, and I will have to keep two libraries. Anybody have any other thoughts on how to best tackle this given my constraints? Less time on the computer, the better...

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #846 of 3,200
JK!

Seems like there's a new update today, 2.23
Doesn't look like anything major though

Quote:
[size=9pt] Music mode
[/size]
- Support ID3 tags of APE files.
- Support album art which is in extension header of WMA file.
- Support ID3 tags that have asynchronous flag of ID3.

[size=9pt] System[/size]

- Fixed the error that m3u files were not recognized correctly when SD card was inserted.
- Fixed the error that external speaker volume was changed when < Pan > setting was adjusted.
- Fixed the error that inserted SD card was not recognized after removing SD card which was
not supported.
- Fixed the error that SD card was not recognized in MTP mode when device was connected to
PC with SD card inserted.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #848 of 3,200

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any experience with file conversion and figured that I'd like to avoid the hassle if possible.

I share my library with girlfriend, who is an ipod/itunes user, so I keep the itunes library all AIFF files for now.  My car has built-in ipod adapter for the GPS/stereo that includes steering wheel volume control etc, that I don't want to give up, so I will keep a spare ipod for the car, and use the J3 or something similar for my serious listening.

Looks like file conversion to FLAC is my best option sonically, and I will have to keep two libraries. Anybody have any other thoughts on how to best tackle this given my constraints? Less time on the computer, the better...

Use another Hard drive/folder and MediaMonkey?, then you got 2 library's, and 2 management systems, 1 for iPod, and 1 for Cowon

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #851 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:

Use another Hard drive/folder and MediaMonkey?, then you got 2 library's, and 2 management systems, 1 for iPod, and 1 for Cowon

Mediamonkey Gold is excellent....my program of choice for over a year now.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #852 of 3,200
I bought Gold about 9 months ago and have had so many issues with album art and other mysterious glitches that I converted to J. River. MM is a good program and I was bummed to let it go, but it never felt 100% polished to me.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #853 of 3,200
I mainly MM because I think it is the best free media center. The Gold version doesn't seem to have that many more features and I don't feel like paying ~$50 for J River.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #854 of 3,200
Well, I figured that even if I get an amp first with the current IEM's, I could later on upgrade the IEM's. I'm just curious at what level an amp would start to be noticeable with a J3. Would the Westone 3, for example, have an improvement?

Quote:
Quote:
You really don't need an amp for such phones with the J3. It won't make a difference.

x2 ... kinda

I think an amp would help, but your money would be put to much better use simply getting better headphones.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #855 of 3,200

Quote:
I bought Gold about 9 months ago and have had so many issues with album art and other mysterious glitches that I converted to J. River. MM is a good program and I was bummed to let it go, but it never felt 100% polished to me.

Album art issues.......were you using it to add your album art to your albums? I add my art separately with xrecode or MP3Tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back