Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #811 of 3,200
Well, I already took the plunge and bought the Cowon J3. I just don't have any protective case to go with it. Not sure if I want to go with ebay or wait it out with Rearth.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #812 of 3,200

Quote:
Well, I already took the plunge and bought the Cowon J3. I just don't have any protective case to go with it. Not sure if I want to go with ebay or wait it out with Rearth.

definitly get a case. I already broke one J3 because i didnt have one. I purchased a clear plastic case, made by Cowon, on amazon and that has actually worked out pretty well

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #813 of 3,200

Quote:
I currently have a 6th generation ipod classic, but I'm thinking about getting this. Is there a major difference in sound quality? Also, are the protective film and plastic case sold by COWON on Amazon worth it? That film in particular seems rather expensive...

idk about the film but the plastic case is worth it. the one i purchased was only 10 dollars and it has saved my cowon on numerous occasions. plus, its not very bulky which some is a problem with some cases

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #814 of 3,200
I'd really like to hold out for the Rearth Ringko, but I don't know how long it'll take them to get a new shipment in on their website. The places where they sell them are limited,too. If I can't get them, I'll settle for the plastic case.

Also, does the plastic case still let you use the buttons or does it just cover everything? I can't really tell with the picture.

Edit: Okay, maybe I'm an idiot. I didn't notice they were selling both the ringke and the ringbo on the website. I thought the ringbo was just some fancy nickname for the product. Still, I suppose it would have been nice to have the ringbo too.

It also looks like I won't be able to order from rearthusa either. It's one of those websites that auto-check for a proper shipping address. Apparently I have an obscure APO address that some websites deem invalid even though I've had items shipped here.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #815 of 3,200
Hi, i'm new here and i'm thinking of buying a Cowon J3 32gb (in white and with the jelly case). I have an ipod nano 2nd generation rockboxed, but for a few days ago i have serious problems to charge it, so i thought that it was the time to buy a new mp3 player. I searched specially something with a great audio quality, a decent battery and a good construction. My finalists were the Nationite S:Flo2 (but the battery is not at all good, less than 10 hrs!), the HM-601 (very bulky, ridiculous memory and also a bad battery life), and specially the ipod touch (better construction than the cowon, better display ¿?, and specially the ipod has a line out). But i read a lot about the cowon j3 and people says that the cowon has a better audio quality, a really good battery life and i like the microsd slot.

My street headphones' are usually the ath es7 (in the next weeks/months i want to buy a westone 3 / earsonics sm3), but i use sometimes my mp3 player also with my grado sr225i (with mahogany cups). So my question is: Can the cowon j3 moves this headphones so good (or better) that my nano rockboxed? There is any sense to buy this player (cowon j3) if in the future i want to use it with a headpone amp? I.e. what is better in audio quality: a cowon j3 + e.g. a Pico Slim or a Ipod Touch + a Pico Slim (through the dock's line out)?

For the instant i don't think about an amp, but in the future maybe i change my mind (and i'll buy a messenger for that purpose :wink: ).

Thanks for your help and sorry for my terrible english

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #816 of 3,200

Quote:
Hi, i'm new here and i'm thinking of buying a Cowon J3 32gb (in white and with the jelly case). I have an ipod nano 2nd generation rockboxed, but for a few days ago i have serious problems to charge it, so i thought that it was the time to buy a new mp3 player. I searched specially something with a great audio quality, a decent battery and a good construction. My finalists were the Nationite S:Flo2 (but the battery is not at all good, less than 10 hrs!), the HM-601 (very bulky, ridiculous memory and also a bad battery life), and specially the ipod touch (better construction than the cowon, better display ¿?, and specially the ipod has a line out). But i read a lot about the cowon j3 and people says that the cowon has a better audio quality, a really good battery life and i like the microsd slot.

My street headphones' are usually the ath es7 (in the next weeks/months i want to buy a westone 3 / earsonics sm3), but i use sometimes my mp3 player also with my grado sr225i (with mahogany cups). So my question is: Can the cowon j3 moves this headphones so good (or better) that my nano rockboxed? There is any sense to buy this player (cowon j3) if in the future i want to use it with a headpone amp? I.e. what is better in audio quality: a cowon j3 + e.g. a Pico Slim or a Ipod Touch + a Pico Slim (through the dock's line out)?

For the instant i don't think about an amp, but in the future maybe i change my mind (and i'll buy a messenger for that purpose :wink: ).

Thanks for your help and sorry for my terrible english

Don't apologize for your English.  I'm sure it's better than my attempt to speak your native language.

In short you have asked a debate (Cowon vs iPod) that will be waged for years on this forum, so there isn't an easy answer.  I think that Apple has gotten better over the past year in regards to sound quality, and that's coming from someone who has sworn off all Apple products going forward.

That being said I think they are both very capable devices.  I just don't like being tied down to a specific operating system or program (i.e. iTunes).  

I also think that if you are a fan of "tweaking" your sound you will be amazed by the EQ features of the J3.

Either way you will be getting a better device than what you own now.  I owned the same Nano and have demo'd the J3.  If I was in your position today, I would choose the J3 for sure.

Good luck!

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #817 of 3,200
Soulsyde, thanks for your answer!
I'm sure that the cowon j3 will be an upgrade from my nano, and for now i'm more encouraged to buy the j3 instead the touch. But my doubt is if he has enough outpout power for move the ath es7 and specially the grado sr225i. And also how is the sound of the j3 with an amp compared to the touch connected by the dock line.

If there's someone who tried this headphones with the  j3 and also that have tried to connect it to an amp, i'll very grateful of his help.

Greetings

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #818 of 3,200
Hey antoniusblock

I have the J3 and SR325is.  Although I have to turn the volume up right to the top, they are loud (slightly too loud tbh).  I have a portable amp and after getting the J3, I had just sat gathering dust, until I decided to sell it. Not sure about the es7 though.

Happy hunting
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #819 of 3,200
From what I can remember the J3's internal amp was pretty descent.  Maybe not enough to power the Grados, but the ES7s should be OK.  Keep in mind that just about any mid-to-full-size headphones will benefit from the power of separate amp.  The J3 is just the first link the chain of good sounding music, the amp is the next.  Remember that all of your headphones, high quality MP3s or lossless media and your amps are worthless without a good source.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #821 of 3,200
If I can chip in, I've got the Cowon S9 which is very similar to the J3, and a pair of ATH ES7. They work perfectly fine and I seldom need to push the volume above 25 (out of 40) for normal listening volume when I am outside.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #822 of 3,200

Quote:
I'd really like to hold out for the Rearth Ringko, but I don't know how long it'll take them to get a new shipment in on their website. The places where they sell them are limited,too. If I can't get them, I'll settle for the plastic case.

Also, does the plastic case still let you use the buttons or does it just cover everything? I can't really tell with the picture.

Edit: Okay, maybe I'm an idiot. I didn't notice they were selling both the ringke and the ringbo on the website. I thought the ringbo was just some fancy nickname for the product. Still, I suppose it would have been nice to have the ringbo too.

It also looks like I won't be able to order from rearthusa either. It's one of those websites that auto-check for a proper shipping address. Apparently I have an obscure APO address that some websites deem invalid even though I've had items shipped here.

yes. you get full use of all the buttons

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #823 of 3,200
Behold a future owner of a cowon j3 32gb. Yes, I pressed the buy button
bigsmile_face.gif
. Now i have to fast, eat for some days and fast again to buy the Westones... It's hard the life...

Thanks again for your advice and for this endless thread that helps me so much.

I'll tell you my sensations when it arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back