Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #766 of 3,200
FYI... the discnumber field was blank in my tags. Filling in this field fixed the problem, at least on one album. I am going to fix the rest and see.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #767 of 3,200
That may be why. I have it all filled so I have never encountered this issue with my J3.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #768 of 3,200
Huston we have a problem. every once in a while it indicates cowon logo and the screen turns off.
It turns on fast but it does that very often.
Any ideas? it will be a dissapointment to send it all the way back.
frown.gif

EDIT: this is the solution i found searching in other forums.

Quote:
Go into the clock settings and tap timer. You'll see the automatic shutoff setting there.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #769 of 3,200
Now that I have mastered the tagging, I am beginning to listen to the darn thing. It sounds very, very good. This little jewel has promise! The EQ is really versatile. If you can't find a sound that is better than "normal", you haven't really tried yet.

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #770 of 3,200
Open message to dfkt:

You are really a helpful person. You may not realize how valuable you are, so here's a pat on the back for you. Your other home (ABI) is a great resource too. I covered a large learning curve in very little time just reading your posts and the first few pages of the J3 forum over there. Thanks a lot!

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #772 of 3,200
i've been playing with my new j3 for a few days now, also took it out to the gym for the first time last night
biggrin.gif

my impressions, build quality does seem cheap and plasticky specially compared against the ipod touch and the ipod 80gb (4th gen i think) which were my previous players.  Weight is nice and light, kept it in my pocket while I was at the gym and it didn't interfere with my workout (i used to always have to reposition my ipod touch in my pocke because it was heavier).  I'm still not used with the tactile buttons, bumped it a few times while working out, but it was nice to be able to forward the tracks without taking the player out of my pocket.

UI is kinda basic for me, not as flashy as the ipod touch but definitely good enough for me.  UI has all the browse and search functions I need so I'm good with it.  UI is also fast and easy to learn

SQ wise, this thing is AMAZING.  Compared to my ipod touch using cheapo headphones, J3 + EQ sounds great.  

Problems I had so far, like Angelopsaro said, the auto shutoff was kinda annoying, I didn't know how to turn it off
biggrin.gif

Itunes album art is not supported.  And reading the manual, it said something about downloading the album art images and naming them as Cover.jpg should get them to work, but this seems like a lot of work for me.

Also a problem, although not the J3's fault.  I did a quick search for accessories (armbands and car kits) and didn't find a lot.  The only armband available in Amazon that's labeled for the J3 had very bad reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

besides that, I'm very happy I made the switch from my ipod touch to the J3.  It's definitely worth the money

@Angelopsaro:  On your J3 pics, what case is that?  Looks kinda nice.  If you don't mind, can you also post a pic with the case on?  Thanks

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #773 of 3,200
I find the SQ great but i am not used to it yet. Atm i use the v moda vibes and the sound is a bit warm and in some songs when i use the eq hip hop or Funk there is bass distortion. I dont know if its the IEMS problem. The highs are not hidden but the overall sound is filled with bass.

anw
i was looking for an armband my self,

This one is cheap and looks nice
http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Universal_Sports_Armband_p/armband-universal-mee.htm

also i found this one but i dont like it too much.
http://www.eforcity.com/dappipodarm3.html

nevertheless you can find many armbands and car holder with the keywords "universal", and just pick the one with the right dimensions.

About the jelly case in my pics. Its the original jelly case from cowon. Comes in clear, black, green, red, etc. At the moment only exportprive.com sells them. I found the clear and black in ebay also for 10$. I really like it, because it takes care of my j3 without make in it too big.

here are some pics

Some people, may not like the way the black combines with white, i think it looks better in real.
I also wanted the clear one, but it wasnt in stock. When i received it though, i really liked it.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #775 of 3,200

Quote:
Problems I had so far, like Angelopsaro said, the auto shutoff was kinda annoying, I didn't know how to turn it off
biggrin.gif

Itunes album art is not supported.  And reading the manual, it said something about downloading the album art images and naming them as Cover.jpg should get them to work, but this seems like a lot of work for me.

Do you click "get album artwork" to obtain the artwork for your albums, or download the music itself off iTunes? If either case is true, then the artwork is not embedded in the music file; stupidly, iTunes places the artwork in a sub-folder: Music>iTunes>Album Artwork. All art is stored as .ITC format files - this is just a wrapper around a JPEG, and you can convert to JPEG by just stripping the first couple of hundred bytes from the file. Thankfully, there exists very useful scripts that take the artwork from that sub-folder, convert it, and embed it in the music file:

1. For windows: Teridon's iTunes scripts, itunes_insert_artwork
  2. For mac: Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, Embed Artwork v2.0

I am forever grateful to these developers; they have saved me countless hours.
I hope this info is useful to the many out there who have recently made the switch from iPod to other music players.

-Flo

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #777 of 3,200
Guys,

I own the J3 (DMB version to be precise). I did some RMAA using my FastTrack Pro via ASIO (48kHz sampling over 16 bits). I used a 16 ohms Samsung plugs as a load. Full scale signal set at ~-3dBFS according to RMAA calibration.

Here are the results :

J3 bis vol25 48k 16 bits
J3 bis Max vol 48k 16bits

RightMark Audio Analyzer test

Testing chain: External loopback (line-out - line-in)
Sampling mode: 16-bit, 48 kHz

Summary

Test J3 bis vol25 48k 16 bits J3 bis Max vol 48k 16bits
Frequency response (from 20 Hz to 20 kHz), dB: -5.01, +0.12 -4.80, +0.11
Noise level, dB (A): -87.0 -92.9
Dynamic range, dB (A): 87.0 92.9
THD, %: 0.029 (-70.7dB) 0.021 (-73.5dB)
IMD + Noise, %: 0.052 0.033
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -6.5 -6.4

[size=xx-small]This report was generated by RightMark Audio Analyzer 6.0[/size]

Interestingly, noise remains very good despite the low level at volume 25. There is a ~25dB difference on loudness between max (40) and vol 25.
Frequency response stays mint (not affected by volume) but is like low pass filtered. I guess this is quiteexpectable behavior from a portable device...
THD remains top notch, as well as IMD.
Stereo crosstalk I seem to have a test setup problem. It does this on all devices (RMAA is not simple for when to actually start the test signal. I start it at 20%).
My visual measurement gives a ~80dB (based on alternate left / right full scale measurements).

Overall the device can be claimed to be very good. Clean amps, very low distortion, good frequency response. It is interesting to see volume is well managed and at normal volumes the performance remains real good. Last point, this confirms the statement done earlier on this thread that even at max volume the J3 does not clip.

I later tested the output of my latop (Lenovo T61) for curiosity: OMG the noise levels ...

Summary

Frequency response (from 20 Hz to 20 kHz), dB +0.09, -0.13
Very good
Noise level, dB (A) -72.0
Average
Dynamic range, dB (A) 75.0
Average
THD, % 0.025
Good
THD + Noise, dB (A) -69.2
Average
IMD + Noise, % 0.049
Good
Stereo crosstalk, dB -6.5
Very poor
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.052
Good
General performance  
Good

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #778 of 3,200
this is sweeeeet
biggrin.gif

more than half my music collection is missing their album art and searching for each one is gonna be a hasle

will definitely try this when i get home.  thanks

Quote:

Do you click "get album artwork" to obtain the artwork for your albums, or download the music itself off iTunes? If either case is true, then the artwork is not embedded in the music file; stupidly, iTunes places the artwork in a sub-folder: Music>iTunes>Album Artwork. All art is stored as .ITC format files - this is just a wrapper around a JPEG, and you can convert to JPEG by just stripping the first couple of hundred bytes from the file. Thankfully, there exists very useful scripts that take the artwork from that sub-folder, convert it, and embed it in the music file:

1. For windows: Teridon's iTunes scripts, itunes_insert_artwork
  2. For mac: Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes, Embed Artwork v2.0

I am forever grateful to these developers; they have saved me countless hours.
I hope this info is useful to the many out there who have recently made the switch from iPod to other music players.

-Flo

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #779 of 3,200
I'm going to get the x7 aside from my J3. I don't want to keep buying microsd cards and changing them. I'll just use the J3 for mp3 files. All uncompressed WAV files will go on the x7. Although I did like making certain types of compilations with the J3 such as 'Fun World Mix'. This way the compilation will be one huge 'Cool Comp' so to speak with my favourite tracks on it. The same as what I put on surround speakers in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back