Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #691 of 3,200
i am and will use the ath-m50
besides, i thought that headphones can reach the j3's full potential as well as high end iems.

i think i am gonna grab a rezero or a re0.
i heard the rezero has a slightly better bass and i would think better built.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #692 of 3,200

Quote:
Anyone here know the best full-sized headphone to pair with the J3?

My budget is around $250.

The reason I ask this is because I worry the J3 will not be able to sufficiently power decent headphones. And I believe the J3 cannot properly be used with a amp as well am I correct?

What is properly used by an amp? Do you mean that it has no lineout? Not all lineouts are better than the headphone out. You can just use the headphone out to connect to an amp if you want.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #693 of 3,200

Quote:
I think compared to previous models that I've tested (S9,D2+) the navigation is much better. The D2+ wasn't bad when I flash skinned it and I assume the same for S9 but with the J3 I have no desire or need to even look for a flash skin to make the navigation better. It's good as it is and the controls actually make more sense. I've been browsing mostly by ID3 tags and either go to all songs or I go to a specific album I want to listen to.

back then i was quite annoyed by the folder structure, i just hope its as tidy as ipod model.
i think the J3 is my only option since there aren't many device that offer easy PnP, battery life, memory expansion and good UI (i cant mention about those china DAP, even though some of them sounds really good but their UI are most crap). or there is other DAP that offer similar things?

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #694 of 3,200
I pulled the trigger and wanted to share with the community
beerchug.gif
!
Lets wait now and see if all goes well...
popcorn.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #695 of 3,200
Say more. What do you mean by "cannot properly be used with an amp"? I have mine paired with a Headstage Arrow and the results are fantastic. The HO of the J3 is powerful and high quality and once the signal hits my amp, I have the impedance matching I want for my various headphones, gain, and bass.

I auditioned a number of Grado headphones in your price range and they're all 32 Ohm. An excellent match for the J3. I wound up getting the Sennheiser HD650 because I liked the sound signature and I knew I'd have plenty of amped power. For what it's worth, I have another older pair of Senns that are 150 Ohm and the J3 drives them OK un-amped, but with the volume up around 75%.
Quote:
Anyone here know the best full-sized headphone to pair with the J3?

My budget is around $250.

The reason I ask this is because I worry the J3 will not be able to sufficiently power decent headphones. And I believe the J3 cannot properly be used with a amp as well am I correct?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #696 of 3,200
X2 on the usability of the J3 with an amp.

The J3 is a wonderful player on it's own without and amp. When I use it with my iBasso D4 the thing only improves and not just by a slight margin. To give you an idea of how good they are with an amp, I use the J3 + D4 with my HD650s when I feel like moving around the house and the sound is nothing to be laughed at. It feels as if you're walking with a cloud of music above your head.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #697 of 3,200
Thanks for the responses guys.

I just believed attaching an amp from the HO of the J3 leaves more to be desired when compared to a LO.

I think it's now safe to say I will pull the trigger on a J3 after I upgrade my monitors. Thanks again.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #698 of 3,200

Quote:
back then i was quite annoyed by the folder structure, i just hope its as tidy as ipod model.
i think the J3 is my only option since there aren't many device that offer easy PnP, battery life, memory expansion and good UI (i cant mention about those china DAP, even though some of them sounds really good but their UI are most crap). or there is other DAP that offer similar things?

As long as your tags on your files are good then you should be fine. I still don't think the UI is as good as an ipod but I think the Cowon J3 UI has come a long way since owning the D2+ a while back. It's not as good as the ipod but still quite good imo. I think the J3 is a nice player. It has good battery so I don't have to worry much about battery, drag and drop (great for linux!), much better UI than past, memory slot if needed and great EQ. I can say that I spent my money well on the J3. I plan on getting a 16gb micro sdhc card eventually when I get around to it. I don't need 16gb more since I'm fine with 8GB but it's nice to have.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #699 of 3,200
well i always keep my library tidy and good ID3 tags, it showed on my ipod that they are really organized so it should be organized as well on other player unless there's a flaw.
i won't comment for the UI of the J3, for me its good enough. as explained before i was just a bit disappointed by the D2+ on how it handle those ID3 tags.
i was planning for the 8gb black color when my ipod are sold.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #700 of 3,200
I believe that the 8gb only comes in white.

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #702 of 3,200
Doesn't really show much. I'm pretty sure they're available over there, but, the full black only comes in 16gb and 32gb. Actually one of the reason I chose the 16gb.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #705 of 3,200

Quote:
Full black as in the metallic part is black and not white/grayish

Mmm yes. The second color. Many seller sell the black in 8gb. I thought you were referring in a mixed color. I like my self the silver stripe. I would prefer if there was a mixed combination of the silver stripe and black back. i think the full black doesnt let the j3's lines show so i chose the white one.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back