Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #391 of 3,200
Thanks dfkt. These are quite tempting as a 24gb (8gb +16gb sdhc) could be had for around 200 and it has much better battery than my nano and clip+ combined. Although I'm a bit iffy about a touchscreen so maybe I'll go to J&R one day and play around with it some to see how the touchscreen is.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #392 of 3,200
Coming from an S9 user:

I would think that the J3 touchscreen is fine... The interface may not be, but this is easily remidied through the use of custom user interfaces... The default interface on my S9 is terrible, when I configured it to my liking, it was a more perfect match to me for usability than any other player I have used. I think I would have paid an extra $50 for the device if I knew what it could do beforehand... I bought it for its unmatched sound and EQ, both of which the J3 also has.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #393 of 3,200

Quote:
wsilvio said:

can anyone tell me how to get my album art back?  It seems that when I transcoded it from alac, the art didn't go with it.  Thanks.  

Next to a cover.jpg (other names might work as well), the J3 reads embedded album art for most any format (except Vorbis). Apps like MP3Tag, Tag&Rename, Foobar2000, work well for embedding album art.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #394 of 3,200
I can't believe I bricked my J3 for the SECOND time in a row.  I bought it from Adorama almost a month ago, bricked the first one when I uploaded songs.  It stays hung up on the loading menu, so I feel like it's stuck reading some files and can't process it.  Used tcctool and it seems to flash the firmware onto it, but everytime it turns on again after the flash to memory, it continues to get stuck on the loading screen so I can never access anything in the player.  The computer also can never recognize the player unless it is in boot mode where it is seen by the tcc drivers prior to using tcctool. So I returned it for an exchange. Second time, I first flashed the firmware to 2.21 first and then turned it on and everything works.  Then when I uploaded some music (this time different files), it gets hung up AGAIN at the loading screen, but at a different spot in the loading bar.  And again, same result with tcctool.

I am emailing Adorama now and not getting a response.  It's been a little under a month since I purchased it.  I hope I can still return it.  I am kind of over this player now since it has been bricked with my Midas hands twice.  I really liked the player when I saw it work for the little bit of time, so this is pretty unfortunate.  Anyone know what in the world kind of files would make it brick in this fashion?

First unit, I uploaded with all mp3 files.  Second unit, I uploaded with all FLAC files.

Anyone with any ideas on what caused the brick or any other possible methods to unbrick?  Would I be able to get an RMA or return from Cowon if Adorama doesn't respond or am I screwed with a useless player now?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #395 of 3,200
I'm loading mine up now - I've never bricked ANY Cowon DAP yet, and I've owned a couple.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #396 of 3,200

Quote:

Next to a cover.jpg (other names might work as well), the J3 reads embedded album art for most any format (except Vorbis). Apps like MP3Tag, Tag&Rename, Foobar2000, work well for embedding album art.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #397 of 3,200
I just got an issue w/the album art (FW 2.21) myself, so I'm going to copy a .jpg over to the prospective mp3's folder on the device. I'm hoping this is a cure for what ails me J3.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #398 of 3,200
That's pretty unlucky ChroniCali. If Adorama doesn't respond I'd send Cowon an email. You shouldn't have to accept a faulty player which doesn't look like it is your fault.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #399 of 3,200
Yummy yummy.

Just bought a J3 32GB with Cowon leather case, expected delivery Monday/Tuesday next week.

HOPEFULLY the final upgraed to my (work) portable rig!!

This is costing me a fortune.
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #400 of 3,200

Quote:
Yummy yummy.

Just bought a J3 32GB with Cowon leather case, expected delivery Monday/Tuesday next week.

HOPEFULLY the final upgraed to my (work) portable rig!!

This is costing me a fortune.
L3000.gif

Just wait until the Cowon D3 comes out...

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #402 of 3,200
is anyone using the J3 with a mac? does it have the same problems outlined here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44893

i have the D2 with a mac, and it screws up everytime i connect it to my mac. even with what the OP had suggested

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #403 of 3,200
OK, so my J3 battery won't hold a charge.  I Charged it last night and today it is dead.  I hooked it up to my computer to get it to start up.  After I ejected it, it said low battery.  So much for 60 hours per charge?  Anyone else have these issues?  If I get another one, I don't want it to go bad after I leave for Japan next week.  If it bricks while I'm on a 16 hour flight, I'll be pissed!

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #404 of 3,200

What  are those jeteffects ?
Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying.  I used the same tracks on all three players in alac and flac.  I was not using any jeteffects on the j3.  I also thought that the noise floor of the J3 was quite impressive.  The sensaphonice iems are super sensative and hiss with almost anything unless I use the pico slim.  The J3 was almost as quiet as the slim.

All of that said, the interface isn't as mature as an ipod touch, but the enjoyable sound definitely makes up for it.  

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #405 of 3,200

Hey Luco, what are you doing over 'ere
bigsmile_face.gif

Any additions to your arsenal of IEMs yet?  Those SM3s getting a good run!!

Jet effects 3.0 is the EQ settings for the J3 (and others I presume).  Can't speak highly enough of the J3 TBH, everyone else on here has done it justice already.  Brilliant player
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
What  are those jeteffects ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back