Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #122 of 3,200

Quote:
I have had my 32GB J3 for a couple days and am loving the SQ, which is better than my iPod video with a lineout and a nuforce mobile amp I think. I've listened with Grado SR80i and Bang & Olufsen A8s and have been very pleased.
I haven't run the battery all the way down but it's concerning me because after certainly less than 10 hours of listening and browsing etc it says the battery is at 25%. I've noticed the increments go 25-50-75-100 with nothing in between so I don't know exactly what "25%" means. What have others experienced so far in terms of the battery life? I guess I did watch a 30 minute high quality video so that might explain some of the drain?

Give it another full charge before weighing in. I don't expect mine to last anywhere near the advertised 64 hr music playback/11 hr video. I'll be clicking around and generally fondling it so much the screen will never get a change to go dark. :wink: Higher bitrate files affect battery time too. The higher the bitrate, the harder the processor works which drains the battery faster. Video definitely drains the battery faster, and not just because the display is on.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #125 of 3,200
Yeah, I didn't even think about the flac files using more processing power. I'm gonna give it a full charge and just listen to mp3s and see what kind of battery life I can get. Thanks!

Quote:
Give it another full charge before weighing in. I don't expect mine to last anywhere near the advertised 64 hr music playback/11 hr video. I'll be clicking around and generally fondling it so much the screen will never get a change to go dark. :wink: Higher bitrate files affect battery time too. The higher the bitrate, the harder the processor works which drains the battery faster. Video definitely drains the battery faster, and not just because the display is on.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #126 of 3,200
suddenly my J3 has a flashing white line on the bottom of the screen.... omg what should i do?
confused_face_2.gif

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/AMTechnologies/IMG00858-20100606-1325.jpg

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #127 of 3,200
@ djbigbear

Oh! That doesn't look very nice. How about updating the firmware? Have you tried that? It might be something firmware related or, in the worst case, something hardware related.
Did the white line just appear suddenly? You have never dropped the J3 or anything?

If the line has just appeared like that and it is not firmware related, it might be something wrong with the hardware. You could contact the place where you bought it.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #128 of 3,200
Getting a bit worried about these issues that have popped up.  I realize taken in perspective this is a tiny sample set but there is something to be said that from the small number of units people have posted about here, I've read at least 3 or 4 having problems with theirs.  Hmm.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #129 of 3,200

Quote:
Getting a bit worried about these issues that have popped up.  I realize taken in perspective this is a tiny sample set but there is something to be said that from the small number of units people have posted about here, I've read at least 3 or 4 having problems with theirs.  Hmm.

I know that ihatepopupads also had a J3 that died on him after disconnecting it. Not sure if he ever got it working again, but he got it replaced and hasn't had any problems with the new one at all.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #131 of 3,200

Quote:
I know that ihatepopupads also had a J3 that died on him after disconnecting it. Not sure if he ever got it working again, but he got it replaced and hasn't had any problems with the new one at all.

I read similar things about the S9. The problem was that people weren't going through the "Safely Remove Device" menu before disconnection, if I recall correctly.

The solution I read o this was to just re-format the player. A pain, I suppose, but it might be worth it to try that before sending it in if you need to use it on a regular basis.

How durable does the screen feel? Should I order a screen protector, when I eventually order it from Amazon?

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #132 of 3,200

Quote:
I read similar things about the S9. The problem was that people weren't going through the "Safely Remove Device" menu before disconnection, if I recall correctly.

The solution I read o this was to just re-format the player. A pain, I suppose, but it might be worth it to try that before sending it in if you need to use it on a regular basis.

How durable does the screen feel? Should I order a screen protector, when I eventually order it from Amazon?

I always use the "Safely Remove Device" function, after having learned the hard way with one of my Sony daps from years ago 
mad.gif

And I couldn't reformat the J3 because it was dead. No screen, nothing. The reset button wouldn't bring it back to life and the computer couldn't see it - it was just dead.

The screen felt really nice and durable, but I would still have got a screen protector simply because I find touchscreens are much more responsive and easier to swipe with a protector. Plus they seem to be much more resilient to greasy fingertips
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #133 of 3,200
Hi fellow head-fiers :) I had the J3 32 gb for a week now, I'm so glad i bought it, it can drive my hd 650 nicely, though the BBE and other equalizer effets affect dearly the battery life IMO, can someone confirm that?

My question is: is there any way to display the tracks on the cowon using filter criteria such as duration? I'd like to do so, so that the mixes are displayed first once i filtered the genre first. Also, i think this is a general issue for now: how to use playlists? I've been looking in jetaudio but it leads me nowhere....is it working with say, winamp?

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #134 of 3,200

Quote:

If its anything like the S9, you can smack a rock on it and come out scratchless (abet maybe cracked...). The only reason you get a screen protector is for glare. Other than that you can save yourself the money for a good case (I recommend Ringke silicon cases. Best silicon case I have felt.)

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #135 of 3,200
Hey I found Cowon J3 at eBay..
Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/COWON-J3-32GB-AMOLED-/170491273600?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item27b2126180
32 GB Version, I think the price isn't so much different than S9 32GB.

For now its have sold 15 pieces, Only 85 pieces left..

Is Cowon J3 more detail and got better clarity than S:flo2..? Is there any review that might be help for me to choose which should I take..?

Thanks.

Update:
Maybe Somebody want to buy one for me..?
PM Me if you want to buy it for me :), Remember my hands always open for any donation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back