Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #91 of 3,200
DAMN. 4DThinker, I swear, if I cave in and buy the 16GB, I'm blaming you :D I really hope Cowon hurries up with the 32GB version, or at least starts an entry on Amazon so I can pre-order.
That was a helpful update, I'm so happy with the full featured video player. I have a few questions though, if you don't mind.

What's the Comix "app" in your first picture? Is it the same as the image viewer?

Is there a way to disable the filename display, and simply have the player load titles from the tags? My tags are pretty good (track name/artist wise) but the filenames aren't super consistent, I think. I'd hate to have a list view where all the tracks starting (in the filename, of course) with '01' are at the top.

For album art, does the art have to be embedded in the tag, or can I just put folder.jpg in the directory? (for my flac, I just put folder.jpg in the same directory as the files, and media monkey picks it up)

Ugh... this wait is killing me.

May 31, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #93 of 3,200
The Comic App came with the Korean firmware app (1.10 I think), and I'll guess it's for viewing comics on the J3.  I haven't any use for it, and I doubt it'll come with the US version firmware (probably 2.10) whenever it shows up.   Filenames only show up when viewed in folder view.  The J3 works excellent with tags.  For codecs that the J3 doesn't support art just rename the folder.jpg to cover.jpg and leave a copy in the album folder. Otherwise art that is embedded will show up for most files.

For album art, does the art have to be embedded in the tag, or can I just put folder.jpg in the directory? (for my flac, I just put folder.jpg in the same directory as the files, and media monkey picks it up)

Ugh... this wait is killing me.

4D

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #94 of 3,200
Hey Guys

I've actually seen the J3 and tried it as it is already available here in HK. I think I'll be getting it soon. At close, it really looks like the Zune HD (if only it had wifi!) Here are a few pointers

This is often refered as the successor to the S9. And indeed it is. According to the owner of the shop:

-J3 touch screen is more responsive
-J3 has microSD exansion option
-J3 has a built in speaker
-J3 has a more clear and crisp sound than the S9, which comparitively has a more warm sound

Hope this helps

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #95 of 3,200
I had the J3 for about three days before it died on me
frown.gif

I also had the S9 for a while, and the main difference I noticed was that on a flat setting, no enhancements whatsoever - the J3 sounded more expansive and less 'dead' than on the S9 with the same settings. But once I started to play around with BBE and other enhancements, it started to sound pretty much the same as the S9 (which was warmish to my ears).

The J3 touchscreen is definitely more responsive than the S9. It's also easier to operate with one hand than the S9, although I didn't like that the J3 volume controls were placed on the bottom right, because (I don't really know how!) I kept managing to press them by accident when I moved my hand to use one of the other controls.

What else, well, I had a 16GB card that the J3 wouldn't read. There was nothing wrong with the card because I put it in an SD adaptor and my computer read it just fine. And when I put the card back into the J3, it could see the music I'd transferred to it - but it still didn't see there was a card in it. And finally, after disconnecting it for about the fith time - it died on me, and the reset button wouldn't bring it back to life so I returned it.

Despite the issues, it was a very nice dap. Very similar to the Zune HD in appearance, but with physical controls so you could use it without having to take it out of your pocket. And although I never got to test out the battery life, I know that the Zune HD never lasted for more than about 20 hours, which is way short of the 64 hours claimed by Cowon. Shame it died on me. I might wait for the 32GB and try it again
smile_phones.gif

Oh, and I tried it with the JVC FX700, MTPC and UE700. The UE700 (which sounded really harsh, cold and hollow on my Touch) actually sounded pretty nice with the J3, thanks to all the enhancements you can add. The UE700 are very bright and can be a little too lively, but matching them with the J3 + EQ made them sound really nice, like a different pair of earphones altogether.

EDIT: The speaker is pretty loud, much louder than the Touch speaker. and better quality too.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #97 of 3,200
I thought I'd chime in... The J3 32GB is now for sale and in stock (not preorder) at JetMall. I'm not sure about other countries. I'm in the US.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #98 of 3,200
I've had a J3 for a couple of weeks now, and I really really WANT to like it. If I can manage that, it'll be perfect with the Arrow 12HE I've got on order.

I'm not quite there yet though. I certainly prefer it to the S9, which didn't grab me at all. The J3 has a much more responsive touchscreen, and sounds somehow less overprocessed. I have to report absolutely no problems with it - I've tried a variety of micro SD cards in it, including 16GB, and they've all worked fine. Battery life is phenomenal for such a slim machine. The physical buttons I've found much more user friendly than the S9 too.

At the end of the day it comes down to the SQ for me though, and the jury is still out on that. I'm taking it out everyday though, and I certainly don't dislike it. The S9 didn't last this long. SQ has improved over the time I've had it, and I'm hoping it can go a little further in this area with use. Certainly midrange and acoustic instruments aren't going to be a problem - they sound great.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #99 of 3,200

Quote:
I thought I'd chime in... The J3 32GB is now for sale and in stock (not preorder) at JetMall. I'm not sure about other countries. I'm in the US.

THANK YOU. I had stopped checking every day because I was getting obsessed. Now, I'll wait a few more days for it to show up on Amazon/Newegg, for any possible price breaks/easier returns.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #101 of 3,200

Quote:
THANK YOU. I had stopped checking every day because I was getting obsessed. Now, I'll wait a few more days for it to show up on Amazon/Newegg, for any possible price breaks/easier returns.

You're welcome (me too). Crud, does JetMall have a reputation for crappy service? I spazzed, grabbed my credit card, and didn't even think about vendor options.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #103 of 3,200
^^ OK, good to know. And I'm fine with them. Although their purchase site's wildcard SSL cert pissed off my my web browser. :-/

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #105 of 3,200

Quote:
Umm, I think that Jetmall.net is the official US re-seller.

Cowon's US website is "JetAudio.com"

If you navigate through that site to the "Where to buy" page you will be given a list of online retailers, where Jetmall.net is listed first...
http://www.jetaudio.com/buy/

I think you're OK.

I hope so. Purchased almost exactly 24 hours ago (money drawn from account before noon Pacific time yesterday) and no shippy shippy yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back