Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #77 of 3,200
Paulr, that's an interesting review. I've heard that the J3 is pretty much exactly the S9, so at least it's not a step back (the link you posted says that the V5's BBE was pretty much gimped).

Nywytboy, you posted the same link I did, haha!

May 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #78 of 3,200

Quote:

I get the AMOLED for battery life, but have you ever compared AMOLED to a good LCD or IPS? Even good ones are too hot. They are mesmerizing, but put them next to the picture you took, or next to the real colour, and they look as fake as Oprah's stupid smile. Until AMOLED can produce natural colours.... naturally, I will stay away.

May 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #79 of 3,200

Quote:
I get the AMOLED for battery life, but have you ever compared AMOLED to a good LCD or IPS? Even good ones are too hot. They are mesmerizing, but put them next to the picture you took, or next to the real colour, and they look as fake as Oprah's stupid smile. Until AMOLED can produce natural colours.... naturally, I will stay away.

One of the reasons I got the Samsung Impression when it came out. Oled = longer battery life. That and the fact that Samsung tailored the UI to this by having a LOT of black screens so you are only using about.... 1/4th of the total pixels at any time.

Plus it takes great pictures (6 sweep panoramias as well).

May 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #81 of 3,200

Quote:
Quick question. Can you delete files on the S9/J3, without the need for a computer?

On my S9, I just go to the folder view and then navigate to the file I want to delete. I think you can only delete files in the folder view mode. Mark the file you want to delete and at the bottom there are some icons, among them an x. If you press it you will be asked if you want to delete the file (o) or if you do not want to delete it (x).

May 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #82 of 3,200

Quote:
One of the reasons I got the Samsung Impression when it came out. Oled = longer battery life. That and the fact that Samsung tailored the UI to this by having a LOT of black screens so you are only using about.... 1/4th of the total pixels at any time.

Plus it takes great pictures (6 sweep panoramias as well).

That makes more sense, but still, the aesthetics of AMOLED leaves a lot to be desired. I love the battery life and the tech aspects though. I do, however, hate Samsung with a passion. 

May 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #83 of 3,200
I don't really inderstand the aesthetics complaint about OLED.  I've got the Zune HD, Cowon S9 and J3, iriver SPINN, and no doubt a few other oled screened devices I'm unaware of. I also have more than a dozen devices with backlit LCD screens of various quality.  Yes, images on all my OLED screens look different than they do on any LCD.  The difference is an improvement to my eyes.  A great improvement. The OLED screens I'm looking at reproduce flesh tones and the rest of the visible spectrum with more accuracy than any LCD I have. Black is black, not grey.  I suspect a long history of LCD use has tinted "our" vision toward believing what it produces is "right".   See them side-by-side with an oled screen displaying the same content and it's easy to realize the error of that view. Of course any photo I'd post to prove it would be viewed through your LCD monitor, so there is no point in that. JMHO.

4D

May 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #84 of 3,200

Quote:
If anyone cares, ABI just ran the most brutal review I've ever seen, about the v5:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2010/05/cowon-v5-hd-review.php

Yes, dfkt said he did not really like the V5...
tongue.gif

May 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #85 of 3,200

Quote:
I don't really inderstand the aesthetics complaint about OLED.  I've got the Zune HD, Cowon S9 and J3, iriver SPINN, and no doubt a few other oled screened devices I'm unaware of. I also have more than a dozen devices with backlit LCD screens of various quality.  Yes, images on all my OLED screens look different than they do on any LCD.  The difference is an improvement to my eyes.  A great improvement. The OLED screens I'm looking at reproduce flesh tones and the rest of the visible spectrum with more accuracy than any LCD I have. Black is black, not grey.  I suspect a long history of LCD use has tinted "our" vision toward believing what it produces is "right".   See them side-by-side with an oled screen displaying the same content and it's easy to realize the error of that view. Of course any photo I'd post to prove it would be viewed through your LCD monitor, so there is no point in that. JMHO.

4D

I will give you the blacks  - they do look black rather than grey. But everything else is simply way too hot. Anything other than black and grey looks like its been buffed with HDR or something. It looks good, but not in a realistic way. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #86 of 3,200

Quote:
I will give you the blacks  - they do look black rather than grey. But everything else is simply way too hot. Anything other than black and grey looks like its been buffed with HDR or something. It looks good, but not in a realistic way.  

They all have brightness controls.  Perhaps you've seen them through a camera's eyes and not in person.  Consider that any web posted video or photo of an oled screen has gone though a camera that most likely was on auto-expose, been cropped and reduce for the web (if not also color "corrected"), and then possible altered again by the hosting service. After which we view them on LCD screens.   I'll concede that advertising images for most have intentionally pushed for bright over-colorful scenes to show off the contrast.  You know... balloon gatherings, paint stores, flower stores, etc..

You're intitled to dislike them for whatever your reasons.  I love the ones I own though. When I want something with me to watch a movie on, it will always be a device with an OLED screen.

4D

May 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #87 of 3,200
No, I've held each and every one - or owned them. I currently own 2 and see the others on a daily basis (at work). They are exquisite in their own way, but certainly not like real life. I love the way menus etc look as their contrasty edges are easy to pick out, but honestly, they are just... 'off'. That said, I don't ever watch video on a portable and would probably trade lifelike for battery power. Plus, living in SK, ridding myself of absolutely the bleedingest of edges in screen tech is impossible. Here, people buy by the numbers: as long as it has this many gigabytes and gigahertz and new screen tech... strange, but true. They always ask me later how to use the damn thing since they don't care about that... just that it is new.

May 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #88 of 3,200

Quote:

I have to agree with this. To me it is very similar to how full HD looks like on an LCD or plasma TV with bright and almost unrealistic colors. While I do not mind is for short movie sessions on my S9, I do not want it for serious movie viewing.
Therefore I am hanging on to my old Philips widescreen tube TV. Not as clear image, but more smooth and to me more natural. Also on my CRT I can play light gun games on with my Dreamcast. Such games only work on tube TV:s...
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #89 of 3,200
Has anyone tried 32GB micro sdhc cards???  Reason I ask is I had a phone that took micro sdhc and it couldnt read 32gb ones only 16gb and lower ones. Has anyone seen with their eyes that it does read 32GB?

May 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #90 of 3,200
Freeze, you're going to have to either buy a J3 and a 32gb card to try yourself, or just be patient until someone with a J3 gets one and reports.  Expect to wait a month or more until the price of the 32gb microSDHC comes down. When four 8gb cards can be bought for <$60 paying $200ish for one 32gb card is far too much.

4D

If anyone cares, I've added another entry about the J3 on my blog.  HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back