Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #48 of 3,200
Exciting!

Newegg has the J3 16GB for 230 as opposed to 240 everywhere else, if anyone's interested.

I was about to jump on that, but everyone's posting about a 32 GB J3, now. I knew that logging on to HF today would make me re-think my future purchases for the n-th time.

EDIT: Thanks for answering my question FlatNine! I didn't catch it with all this talk about 32GB. It's apparently available for import, if you want to pay a premium price of 370$ USD shipped. Yikes!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cowon-J3-Player-32GB-/270580887594?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3effe0b02a

May 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 3,200
frown.gif
sigh
frown.gif
***​
No, I'm not getting 1 from eBay or a secret source, I'm just waiting for the official USA release of the 32gb J3.

I will post some pics in the appropriate thread when I do get my greedy hands on one though,................. That I can promise!!!
L3000.gif

May 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #54 of 3,200
Shigzeo, there are quite a few videos on YouTube detailing the UI, for your J3 fix.

I'm almost certain that this is going to be the PMP I'm going to buy, because MS and Apple aren't going to support FLAC or add external memory, ever.

The only thing I'm curious about i the D3, or a Cowon which uses a standard USB thing. I think this new cable is trying to be the "new" universal cable, in Korea at least. A few of the LG and Samsung products I've owned have had the same cable as the Cowon S9.

May 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #55 of 3,200

Quote:
Hope it doesn't take as long for it to be released in the rest of the world as was the case with the S9...

I think you are confusing things.  The reason that Cowon had to wait for a 32GB release was probably not so much a marketing decision, but more of a  availability of 32GB AT THAT TIME.  Since 32GB is more easily available now, the release for a 32GB J3 should happen by this summer.

May 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #56 of 3,200

Quote:
I think you are confusing things.  The reason that Cowon had to wait for a 32GB release was probably not so much a marketing decision, but more of a  availability of 32GB AT THAT TIME.  Since 32GB is more easily available now, the release for a 32GB J3 should happen by this summer.

I hope you are correct. Not that I am buying a J3, but I remember waiting for the 32GB S9 to be released. It was a long wait, but also a good opportunity to practice ones patience...

I remember discussions about Apple buying up most of the 32GB flash memory which forced other smaller manufacturers to wait. But other than some speculation and a few discussion threads on iaudiophile and anything but ipod, I do not remember reading much else. However if memory serves me correctly (difficult in these days of media which promotes short attention span) the 32GB S9 was released much earlier in Korea than in the rest of the world. Then again, that might have been related to the shortage of 32GB memory at that time...

Edit: found this which backs you up. I was sure that the 32GB version was released in Korea earlier, in early March at the latest. But it was released in Korea in mid April 2009, and a little over 1 month later in the rest of the world. So with the 32GB J3 having just been released in Korea it will probably be available in the rest of the world before the end of June.

May 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #57 of 3,200
Well, I just got mine and it really does sound like a 'HAL-9000' type device. It sounds kind of cartoony with a white kind of texture, not too bassy (compared with the S9 on BBE Headphone 1), and clear, as well as more sparkly on the top end. I like it. It's probably my favourite device to date because of the micro sd feature and how I can compile about 3 gigs of uncompressed WAV files on one 16G card compared with 1G of Hi-sp on my RH1. The BBE feature is really good too.

May 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #58 of 3,200
What's a HAL-9000 type device? I've never heard that phrase before!

Glad to hear you're happy with it. It's the only player of it's type, as far as I can tell, so I don't have another option, and I'm glad to see it's a decent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back