Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,741 of 3,200

Quote:
Is it me or J3 response doesn't sound very flat?  I tend to turn the volume up a bit because I can't hear some of the frequency ranges clearly, but what happens as a result when upper mid take over, my ears bleed.  
mad.gif

I couldn't tell you, because I don't listen to it "flat". And to be honest I don't think anyone does. Play with the EQ, or at least use it to take down the upper mids a little bit. The great thing about the J3 is how well you can customize it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,742 of 3,200

Quote:
Is it me or J3 response doesn't sound very flat?  I tend to turn the volume up a bit because I can't hear some of the frequency ranges clearly, but what happens as a result when upper mid take over, my ears bleed.  
mad.gif

You could adjust the EQ to compensate for that.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,743 of 3,200
^I understand that.  I don't want to crap on this thread, but I have to tell it like it is:

I have Sflo2, and it sound very clear(sounds amped too :)  besides all the negative baggage you get with it) and don't need to EQ, but the J3 I have to put the volume up, and then I suffer the ears bleed.  :frowning2:  I will EQ if I have to.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,744 of 3,200
I have heard of those that don't like to EQ, but I never understood why, unless the EQing was so artificial that it took away from the music... I agree that natural sound is necessary, but the J3's EQ is very natural (if done right) and should only add to the music, and bring your headphones to their full potential of sound. Most headphones are lacking in some respect, and EQing helps to fill in those holes allowing more headphones to sound better.

Quote:
^I understand that.  I don't want to crap on this thread, but I have to tell it like it is:

I have Sflo2, and it sound very clear(sounds amped too :)  besides all the negative baggage you get with it) and don't need to EQ, but the J3 I have to put the volume up, and then I suffer the ears bleed.  :frowning2:  I will EQ if I have to.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,745 of 3,200

Quote:

ill take a EQd j3 over the s:flo customer service and UI any day.  but yes i do admit, the sflo sounded great. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,746 of 3,200

Quote:

It's fine, it is a J3 impressions thread, after all.

Quote:
I have heard of those that don't like to EQ, but I never understood why, unless the EQing was so artificial that it took away from the music... I agree that natural sound is necessary, but the J3's EQ is very natural (if done right) and should only add to the music, and bring your headphones to their full potential of sound. Most headphones are lacking in some respect, and EQing helps to fill in those holes allowing more headphones to sound better.

Exactly. Also, if your headphones aren't perfectly flat (which I would bet they aren't), EQ can make them sound more natural, by smoothing out the peaks in the freq response.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #1,747 of 3,200
I think the J3 sounds better with something 'neutral' like the re-252 , than with something 'coloured' like the re-262

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,748 of 3,200
Flat same as the S9.

Different ears my ears have never bled, this is the same when someone thinks a phone is bassy and the other looks at them like they lost their mind. If anything the J3 is to uncolored but then Cowon somewhat has been....I always keep me a nice warm Sony 
cool.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,749 of 3,200
The J3 sounds very natural and flat to my ears.  At least, as natural and uncolored as an mp3 player can sound.  They will never compare to home hi-fi DACs.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,751 of 3,200

Quote:
Can anyone comment on how the Um3x pairs up with the cowon j3? i.e. how well does it drive them?

The J3 drives the re262 which has an impedance of 150 ohms just fine. For comparison the UM3x is 56 ohms so there shouldn't be any issue driving it to ear splitting levels

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,752 of 3,200
I just bought one of these and have a question.  Do pretty much all of the microSD microSDHC cards work well with this device.  I'm totally new to this and see there is class 2 and class 4 and maybe others.  I know a review of another device I was looking at mentioned it wouldn't work with class 4 or higher so I wanted to make sure about the J3 before I bought a card.  Class 4 is "better" right?  Thanks, Michael

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #1,753 of 3,200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Class ratings directly refer to the write speed (in MB/s) on a given card. I wasn't aware that the J3 was incompatible with cards of class greater than 4, though.

-- Griffinhart

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,754 of 3,200
I wasn't applying that to the J3, that's just something that was mentioned in the review section for another player I was looking at and I wanted to make sure it didn't apply to the j3.  I guess the class 4 will work fine.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #1,755 of 3,200
Class 10 will work just fine in the J3 as well, but it probably won't be able to utilize the extra speed of a Class 10 card compared to Class 4 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back