Couple of questions on the Denon AH-D2000 and the BeyerDynamic DT880's
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HappyDonut

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! 

I posted a couple of questions in the original "Seek guidance here" thread but wasn't getting many hits on my questions so I thought I'd create a thread. 

I picked up a few weeks ago, the Sennheiser HD-25 II's and absolutely love them. My only complaint is that I would like a tad more bass. I never realized this about myself but I suppose I'm a basshead! 
L3000.gif

There are two specific headphones I'm looking at, the D2000's and the DT880's, both of which I've heard amazing things about. I know that the D2000's are supposed to be extremely bassy, in a good way, while the DT880's are more subdued? That's actually a big deciding factor for me. Before I found Head-Fi I was just going to pick up a pair of Dr. Dre's! Thank god for you guys.

Besides the bass, which of these would you say is "better" all around? 
I'm probably going to end up running these on the Fiio E7/E9. I'm starting out on this audiophile world so I'm going to stick with the lower end amps until I realize how I actually want them.

I assume the D2000's would run fine on the Fiio combo, but would the DT880's at 600ohm impedance run fine as well? 
Thank you for answering another noob's questions. :)

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 14
I've heard lots of people saying the E9 drives 600ohm beyers quite well, while others say it doesn't drive them as well as it could.

You'd honestly probably like the D2000 more, if you're wanting more bass than the HD-25 II.  Hard to say if 880 or D200 is better all around, it depends on who you ask, as sound is extremely subjective depending on every persons's tastes.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for the reply. Seeing that some have said the DT880's could be driven better even through the e9's makes me want to wait until I purchase a better amp to drive them to their full potential. 
With that being said, I have heard that after some decent burn in time, the DT880's bass is ... almost as or equal to the bass in the D2000's?

Last question being, Are the d2000's still worth it at about a 300-350 dollar price range? I realize there's currently one in the "For Sale" section (Yea!) But in case it gets snatched up before I claim it, I'd like to hear what owners of the D2000s think. 

I'd love to hear opinions from others who have owned the D2000's/DT880s while (crossing my fingers here) using it with a fiio e9.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 14
Considering what your after I would definitely say go for the d2000.  These headphones tend to go over very well with bassheads.

I've heard the dt880's and they are not bass-heavy by any stretch.  However the detail and soundstage are fantastic
smile_phones.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDonut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last question being, Are the d2000's still worth it at about a 300-350 dollar price range? I realize there's currently one in the "For Sale" section (Yea!) But in case it gets snatched up before I claim it, I'd like to hear what owners of the D2000s think. 

I also ment to add to this. Although they are highly-regarded headphones, I personally wouldn't pay that much for D2000's.  I've seen used D5000's go for that much and I normally don't see used D2000's go for much more than $200-$230. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 14
200 at j&r. the denon's that is. hopefully i'll be getting the headphones plus the e7/e9 combo by early next week and i'll be able to give some sort of early review, pre-burn in.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Kjoh
Thank you! I'm trying to change my ways to be honest, so I'd appreciate the details of some phones rather than looking for phones that have the best bass. :wink: But the appreciation will come I'm sure of it, I'll give it some time. I'll be back for those 880's sometime down the line.
Thanks for the advice, I'm probably going to end up buying the 2000's in the for sale section! 
gs1000.gif

Frylock
I looked there, I sent them an email as well but we'll see!
Thanks for the heads up! 

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 14
before you shell out the big bucks, get a cheap sansa clip, install Rockbox and add 4/6db of bass in it's audio settings menu. try some v0/320/flac files when you're at it. i can't imagine anyone needing more bass on their hd25 after that slight eq tweak. :) another cheaper option would be adding a bassboosting amp like the e11/ZO/cmoy in the chain. the hd25 II is capable of disgustingly wonderful bass if tweaked properly.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 14
u have to call them to get the discount . i don't know if emailing will work.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Negakinu,
Thanks! I actually gave my dad my old sansa clip +, so I read up on some people tweaking the EQ in Itunes for my ipod. Tried it and it works. The sound obviously suffers a bit but it's just for a couple of songs so i'm happy. :) 

Frylock
I just got an email back from JR, you're right. They wanted me tocall them but I think I'll just buy the ones in the for sale section. It'll save me some burn in time!

Thanks everyone! I think I've found what I wanted. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Well just got my D2000's. A little more expensive since JR was out of stock.. and I was never the patient one... bought it for 250. Still worth it IMO. I haven't had a chance to burn it in but it's everything I expected and more. Just wanted to toss an update out to those that cared. :) 

Thanks everyone!

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I've heard lots of people saying the E9 drives 600ohm beyers quite well, while others say it doesn't drive them as well as it could.

You'd honestly probably like the D2000 more, if you're wanting more bass than the HD-25 II.  Hard to say if 880 or D200 is better all around, it depends on who you ask, as sound is extremely subjective depending on every persons's tastes.

if the e9 is your only amp or you havent heard better, then it should be sufficient.  then theres those ppl that say all well built amps are the same. im not in that camp. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 14
d2k all day. The dt880 is more neutral and not a lot of bass. The denon is quality and hard to beat on bass impact and extension with good sound across the rest of the signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back