Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)?
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

As you know I asked that same question for my Thunderpants.  Luis said.....No promises he can get 100% of the Paradox sound.  He did say he came very close with different modded pair - I forget the name.

I would assume that the Thunderpants is a different animal though. Considering MD and Paradox share same basic build,
with different tuning and techniques used to achieve its sound. Don't make me nervous! Ahhhh...

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Just get a fresh pair and keep the MD's for a change of pace..

I want to use my Q cable which is hardwired. I always planned on getting another MD later on.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #36 of 41
any updates here guys?
i´ve just ordered a HD650 from the bay(used) and would like to hear your comparisons.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #37 of 41
On one side I have my own modded T50rp, as well as a BFM pair. On the other side I own the HE-6 and have extensively auditioned the LCD-2. 

Overall I prefer the sound of the HE-6 the best, but it's a slim margin between all of them and it really just comes down to taste. Therein lies the big thing; you can tweak the Fostex to your liking. I feel that in terms of technicalities, the HE-6 is still the best, followed by the LCD2 then the T50rp.

In terms of comfort, I'd give the nod to the Fostex kin. The LCD-2 clamps too hard, and the HE-6 more just kinda hangs on your head rather that fits it. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:
any updates here guys?
i´ve just ordered a HD650 from the bay(used) and would like to hear your comparisons.

Well, I now have all three headphones since my original inquiry, since the best way to answer my question was my own experience.  I have followed a lot of the basic mods to the T50RP and they sound really good.  I'd happily put them up against most headphones up to $200-300 in quality at this point.  I don't know if they are on par with the HD650's yet, but that might be because the HD650s have such a distinct sound that the T50RP's just can't get.  I think they fall quite a bit short of my LCD-2's.  Maybe the "pro" modded T50RP's get closer, but I really don't think they have the capacity to go that far.

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing to take a $90 pair of headphones and with maybe $20-50 worth of mods and get them on par with headphones costing double and maybe triple.  I just think the hype about them sounding as good as near $1000 headphones is a little too enthusiastic.  Some people might prefer the sound signature over other, more expensive headphones, but I don't think they can match the quality of most of them.

Certainly has been fun experimenting.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 41
Yes. I only got as far as buying the stock Fostex. To me they sounded so awful I couldn't convince myself that any number of mods would make of them something I actually wanted to listen to. Now that the hyperbole has died down maybe we can get some more temperate assessments like yours.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:
Yes. I only got as far as buying the stock Fostex. To me they sounded so awful I couldn't convince myself that any number of mods would make of them something I actually wanted to listen to. Now that the hyperbole has died down maybe we can get some more temperate assessments like yours.

You felt they sounded awful? Here's the thing, for me. Straight up sound quality wise, stock they are not incredibly impressive. Good for the money. But in terms of the overall balance, the neutrality/flatness of the response, the lovely quality of the mids and the tight and non-overpowering bass (which could, admittedly, be stronger), I like the stock T50RP more than my Q701 and my DT770. No joke. And yes, I amp the Q701 properly. It does not exceed these phones in sound quality, but my brain does not remember sound quality (for which there is no metric) unless I A/B compare. My brain does remember presentation though, and what kind of sound signature I like.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it's proof that this stuff is all just personal preference.

May 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #41 of 41
Tonally, sure, if you have a well regarded modder work on them.

Technically, ie detail, speed, control, etc, hell no, especially not the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back