Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)?
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Why I always have to see this disclaimer in each thread about T50RP? So just applying some clay and damping material bring them from nothing to LCD-2 level? Give me the break. I have been enjoying Fostex for last week and I am not going to change one thing on them and distroy this beautiful smooth sound and rich mids.

I was even going  to buy Shure pads and V-moda cable but there is no need for it. I am perfectly fine with this headphones and I could not have said that about DT880, Q701, HD598, and my other headphones that I have or I did have before.

Cause you most likely never heard modded ones so have no idea what the difference is

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:
Cause you most likely never heard modded ones so have no idea what the difference is

Well I did not and I am not going to. I am not going to try to improve the sound that I ALREADY LIKE as it is and destroy it or make them imbalanced. Just take a look at this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedTeejaay.pdf

OMG!
I am too much of OCD to trust myself to mod them and maybe destroy what I ALREADY LIKE about them. Or introduce frequency imbalance like the one in that graph.

Certainly there are people who do great job with them, but beside astronomical margin that they ask on the top of cheap $75 headphones there is always possibility that I am not going to like the modifications.

For example:
“So, when I heard the Mad Dog, I honestly wasn’t impressed. It was improved from the stock T50RP in that it has a more open and spacious sound, and it was also less dark and less muffled. What I missed from the T50RP however is that the treble region sounded more dry than what I hear on the stock T50RP, and that the mids, while being more clear, was also less full and less smooth. The biggest fault, in my opinion, is that being based on the T50RP driver, it still lacks a lot of bass impact which is one of the primary thing I look for in a headphone. It was still a good headphone, but I told Moko that I wouldn’t recommend selling this headphone on our store.”
http://www.headfonia.com/modded-fostex-mad-dog-by-mr-speakers/

I like my T50 RP to be dark and mid-bass muffled. I do not like them to have dry treble. I do not like them to have  less full  and less smooth mids. Of course I would like a little bit more bass, but for $75 I am not complaining. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #18 of 41
Thanks guys.  I am quite happy with the sound I get from my HD650's and my Nuforce HDP.  So regardless of my experiments, I will have a setup that I am happy to listen to :)   But I am a tinkerer at heart even if my experience and skills are lagging behind my interest, so a project like the t50rp is right up my alley.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
Mine are modded following a BMF variant with a couple minor changes to preference.

If you comfortable modding yourself it's your choice but I don't so I want them done professionally. Yes I heard T50RP stock so maybe they would be OK as your first headphones but when you heard and owned a lot of different ones they are not what I would keep

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 41
Well, I have all three now.  Still experimenting with the T50rp.  It is quite good, maybe same level as, but very different from the HD650, not nearly as good LCD-2 to my ears.  

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 41
It depends on who tunes your modified T50RP. There are many Rasta pants variants for example, but they aren't up to par to an LCD-2.
Generally it seems people don't think any of the T50RP's perform to LCD-2 levels, with the exception of the Paradox, which offers 
a pretty drastic differential to the rest. But anyhow, you certainly could prefer any 1 to another.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 41
Paradox
DBV #3 by BlueMonkeyFlyer
Mad Dogs

All are great in their own right and bring different things to the table.  But the LCD-2.2 are just so damn seductive.  I should get my Paradox back next week sometime after re tuning.  I will be able to see if they compete with the LCD-2.2.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:
Paradox
DBV #3 by BlueMonkeyFlyer
Mad Dogs

All are great in their own right and bring different things to the table.  But the LCD-2.2 are just so damn seductive.  I should get my Paradox back next week sometime after re tuning.  I will be able to see if they compete with the LCD-2.2.

Really looking forward to this. Your impressions may be what send me over the edge. I'll be looking to turn my Mad Dog into a Paradox.
So get some impressions up fast! 

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

We're on Luis time.   That time moves at it's own pace.

I hear he's got a parttime job...to learn a new trade. 
tongue.gif

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. 

BTW: What is he doing to your Paradox? The full getup or just some tuning and or recabling?

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:
I hear he's got a parttime job...to learn a new trade. 
tongue.gif

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. 

BTW: What is he doing to your Paradox? The full getup or just some tuning and or recabling?

A full re tune.  Remember - I got the re cable and the paint job done by someone else.  That's what got me in this mess in the first place.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

A full re tune.  Remember - I got the re cable and the paint job done by someone else.  That's what got me in this mess in the first place.

I forgot. I swear...It seems he's had your Paradox for a very long time. I remember the mishap with the third-party job.
I figured the job didn't get done and since Luis has come out with fuller mods, I didn't know if you decided to opt for a paint job or something.

So this definitely eases even more apprehension on my side of things. I wasn't completely sure if he'd be able to get the Paradox
sound with a already modded headphone. Even though it's reversible "presumably". 

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:
I forgot. I swear...It seems he's had your Paradox for a very long time. I remember the mishap with the third-party job.
I figured the job didn't get done and since Luis has come out with fuller mods, I didn't know if you decided to opt for a paint job or something.

So this definitely eases even more apprehension on my side of things. I wasn't completely sure if he'd be able to get the Paradox
sound with a already modded headphone. Even though it's reversible "presumably". 

As you know I asked that same question for my Thunderpants.  Luis said.....No promises he can get 100% of the Paradox sound.  He did say he came very close with different modded pair - I forget the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back