Could a modded T50rp best an HD650 (or come close to an LCD-2)?
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I still dream of an LCD-2, but I'm pretty sure it will remain out of reach unless I sold all my gear (which would leave me listening to it out of my laptop).  I have read a bit about a modded T50rp being able to get 80% the way to an LCD-2.  While it might be hyperbole based on the excitement of a fresh mod, I am very intrigued.  Could I mod an $80 can (up to say another $100) to best my HD650?  I like what I am getting out of my headphones, but I know there is more out there and I am itching to find it.  

Could any T50rp owners, and specifically modders chime in with their opinions on how good the t50rp can really get and how it might compare to the HD650 and the higher end headphones (LCD-2, HE500, etc.)

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:
I will let you know if my Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Dog Pads will arrive before I sell my HD650

That would be wonderful if you could.  I saw some reviews on the Mr Speakers site that have LCD-2 owners raving about the Mad Dogs claiming near equals or even better!   

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 41
I have been modding a pair of 50rp's for a short time and have them at a pretty good level, they sound very good, but I did not have a reference good enough to make a fair comparison so I have just received a pair of HD 650's.  Just got the 650's yesterday so its too early to do a comparison.  I will know more in several days and can get back.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 41
Do either of you have any updates?  I might try the T50rp's anyways, but would love to know what kind of baseline I will have while I search for the ceiling :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 41
The T50RPs are wonderful headphones for their price point and will scale nicely as you invest time/money into modding.  However, the modded T50RPs that head-fiers compare to the LCD-2 are the fruits of tons of labor and countless hours of tinkering.  I personally believe (after making several clones of smeggy's Thunderpants) that it is possible to make a T50RP sound nearly as good as an LCD-2 or on par with an HD650 for less than $100 but only after hundreds of hours of tuning and a bit more money burned finding the right modding materials.

As a baseline, I managed to make a mid-forward woody T50RP that bested every phone I own in the $100-$250 price range for around $200,  It doesn't measure anywhere near flat but I enjoy listening to it and I learned enough about headphone construction/tuning that I could probably make an even better set if I tried again.

tl;dr: go for it, but don't expect it to be quick or easy.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:
Do either of you have any updates?  I might try the T50rp's anyways, but would love to know what kind of baseline I will have while I search for the ceiling :)

I think in regards to the comparison of the Fostex headphones vs. "x", it can be quite subjective.  However, when one looks at just the charts of the frequency response for the modified variations, they do have quite an even response that some of the higher-priced headphones from companies can't match.  Some of those brands, have a pretty choppy response and can lead to some variations in the quality of sound, depending on the types of music you listen to.  I will say though, the Fostex headphones are really a great value for what is provided.  Also, there has been such a mass following of the headphones on this forum, that the options keep expanding.  Mad Dog (Dan), for example, has revised his offerings by providing upgrade options like a leather headband strap that makes the comfort much better.  Also, there are the leather pads, that can give the headphone another bump up the quality chain, and potentially contribute to the sound, too.  Finally, for the "DIY" individual, there is a great thread on this forum covering the various versions and the contributions by members that keep improving on the modifications.  

As far as the DIY variants go, I really like the DBV #3 by BlueMonkeyFlyer, which is another level of his BMF 8.1 Fostex modification process.  All the steps required to complete that build are documented in the thread in the forum.  As to the others, you have the Mad Dogs, as I mentioned above and then the Paradox by LFF (a member of the forum here, too).  When one gets into the DIY section, though, it's not just as simple as following the 20 steps to achieve a good DIY variant.  Even if a handful were modified by the same individual following the same process, there would be some variations.  That is why one can tend to get a bit "obsessive" in the final stage as they work to fine-tune the headphones so that the perfect frequency response is achieved.

Best of luck in your venture - whether it by DIY, or going after one of the pre-built modified versions that offer you a "turn-key" leap into the Fostex world.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 41
Thank you guys!  I couldn't help myself and bought a new set.  I have extra Shure pads and plasticine already, so some of the most basic mods are in easy and free (sunk costs from other purchases/projects) reach.  I am still trying hard to free up cash for some LCD-2's so maybe in a couple months I will answer my own post with some comparisons (assuming I don't have to sell everything I have to get the LCD-2's).  

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:
Thank you guys!  I couldn't help myself and bought a new set.  I have extra Shure pads and plasticine already, so some of the most basic mods are in easy and free (sunk costs from other purchases/projects) reach.  I am still trying hard to free up cash for some LCD-2's so maybe in a couple months I will answer my own post with some comparisons (assuming I don't have to sell everything I have to get the LCD-2's).  

Good luck, happy modding and listening but remember that by buying Mad Dogs you would save many many hours of your time (it's also cost money plus experience in modding) and probably frustration when it doesn't sound the way you want

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:
Good luck, happy modding and listening but remember that by buying Mad Dogs you would save many many hours of your time (it's also cost money plus experience in modding) and probably frustration when it doesn't sound the way you want

You have provided a very true statement.  If one does get involved with the do-it-yourself process, it really has to be out of love.  If you get too involved, many hours will be spent on the modding process as you've described.  But, I do believe a balance also has to be achieved.  If one spends too much time tweaking their headphones, when does one have time to listen to music?  After all, it's all about the music.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 41
I actually had the HD650's and was kind of unimpressed by them. Right after I bought them, the HE400 had been announced and had a special preorder discount so I sold my HD650's to fund those. In the meantime I had no headphones and was going miserable and decided to get the T50RP's and do some modding to hold me over until then. 

After modding, I definitely liked the T50RP's better than the HD650's. Maybe the 650's sig just wasn't for me, idk but that's how I felt. Then my HE400's came in and blew both out of the water (imo :p). I wouldn't take all the comparisons to the LCD's too seriously because I know my HE400's are quite a bit better than my modded set of T50RP's and the LCD's are decidedly better than the HE400's by most everyone who has heard both.

I would definitely grab a pair of T50's though, it's only what, $75 or something, what've you got to lose?

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

You have provided a very true statement.  If one does get involved with the do-it-yourself process, it really has to be out of love.  If you get too involved, many hours will be spent on the modding process as you've described.  But, I do believe a balance also has to be achieved.  If one spends too much time tweaking their headphones, when does one have time to listen to music?  After all, it's all about the music.

That's why I'm quietly but impatiently waiting for my Mad Dogs to arrive so that i can hear myself what they can do for me so that I can enjoy my music

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:
I actually had the HD650's and was kind of unimpressed by them. Right after I bought them, the HE400 had been announced and had a special preorder discount so I sold my HD650's to fund those. In the meantime I had no headphones and was going miserable and decided to get the T50RP's and do some modding to hold me over until then. 

After modding, I definitely liked the T50RP's better than the HD650's. Maybe the 650's sig just wasn't for me, idk but that's how I felt. Then my HE400's came in and blew both out of the water (imo :p). I wouldn't take all the comparisons to the LCD's too seriously because I know my HE400's are quite a bit better than my modded set of T50RP's and the LCD's are decidedly better than the HE400's by most everyone who has heard both.

I would definitely grab a pair of T50's though, it's only what, $75 or something, what've you got to lose?

Not moded they are nothing special but when properly moded they can compete with a lot of cans that's why Mad Dogs are on their way to me

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:
Not moded they are nothing special but when properly moded they can compete with a lot of cans that's why Mad Dogs are on their way to me

Why I always have to see this disclaimer in each thread about T50RP? So just applying some clay and damping material bring them from nothing to LCD-2 level? Give me the break. I have been enjoying Fostex for last week and I am not going to change one thing on them and destroy this beautiful smooth sound and rich mids.

I was even going  to buy Shure pads and V-moda cable but there is no need for it. I am perfectly fine with this headphones and I could not have said that about DT880, Q701, HD598, and my other headphones that I have or I did have before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back