Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3,166 of 5,310
  Not in my trousers, but a 11 mm thick D-zero + DX50 will definitely fit in my coats pockets. The pico slim would be another option, if it wouldn't be so darn expensive -_-
It does feel a bit useless to not use the dac section of the D-zero, but maybe one day I will buy one of those android phones that connects to its dac.

Pico Slim is made for ciems, it would make sense if you could buy it. I know the price is an issue but think about it, will you ever go back to full sized cans?

Honestly, I will not. I will stay on the ciem world
happy_face1.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #3,167 of 5,310
All this talk about portable amps, I just remembered that I always wanted a pico slim! Then again, I rarely ever bring a portable amp out with me. I'll just stick with my e17, lol.

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,168 of 5,310
I got some feedback from Phil today. They have checked my monitors and there is definitely a problem with the left monitor. They have opened up the shell and noticed a wire was loose on the crossover, they will connect everything up double check and refix everything.
They will get the shell rebuilt ASAP, it is not a quick job so it will take them a few days and then they will get the monitors shipped back to me.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,169 of 5,310

Pico Slim is made for ciems, it would make sense if you could buy it. I know the price is an issue but think about it, will you ever go back to full sized cans?

Honestly, I will not. I will stay on the ciem world
happy_face1.gif

Yeah, maybe. But a normal headphone amp will not be able to power them.

I'm thinking stax :0 You can get those pretty cheap secondhanded! Other than stax, most headphones (in the < € / $500 range) don't offer that much more imo. 

I won't buy any setup above €500 though. I'd rather save up the money for the BA6.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #3,170 of 5,310
  Yeah, maybe. But a normal headphone amp will not be able to power them.

I'm thinking stax :0 You can get those pretty cheap secondhanded! Other than stax, most headphones (in the < € / $500 range) don't offer that much more imo. 

I won't buy any setup above €500 though. I'd rather save up the money for the BA6.

You like Phil and Cosmic Ears didn't you
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,171 of 5,310

You like Phil and Cosmic Ears didn't you
biggrin.gif

Yes :D

I will however, give an honest review about the BA4f + O2 when my exams are done. No "I love my new toy, and everything about it" **** review. It's something that's really been bothering me about head-fi. 
Just the fact that pretty much any headphone is rated > 4.5 stars, no matter the price. There should be some kind of normalizing algorithm about the ratings like {NormRating = Rating * price class + user posts} or something like that.  

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3,172 of 5,310
  Yes :D

I will however, give an honest review about the BA4f + O2 when my exams are done. No "I love my new toy, and everything about it" **** review. It's something that's really been bothering me about head-fi. 
Just the fact that pretty much any headphone is rated > 4.5 stars, no matter the price. There should be some kind of normalizing algorithm about the ratings like {NormRating = Rating * price class + user posts} or something like that.  

Couldn't agree more. People rate things like M50 sounds better than HD800
happy_face1.gif
Btw, I hate M50's sound yet people call it Studio Monitor. Yeah, whatever, nevermind. Let's keep the thread for Phil and his products...

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,173 of 5,310

Couldn't agree more. People rate things like M50 sounds better than HD800
happy_face1.gif
Btw, I hate M50's sound yet people call it Studio Monitor. Yeah, whatever, nevermind. Let's keep the thread for Phil and his products...

Haha sorry for derailing.

All I can say about the BA4f for now, is that they can generate a true high fidelity sound, with the right recording and right gear.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3,174 of 5,310
I anyone else having an issue with good communication with Cosmic Ears?

In the last month, I have registered on their site, request the shop access, sent in my ear impressions (with my username on the site and intended product I want to purchase), and waited.

I sent 3 emails, and had one response about the item I was interested in, and a promise that they would look into my site access to buy the product.  

I then sent 4 Skype messages, about one each week.  I have received responses stating they would look into my site access and see if they received my ear impressions.  But I am still sitting here with my money in my hand, waiting for cosmic ears to take my order.  

I understand they don't want a lot of customers paid and waiting for extended period of time... but I think Id feel more comfortable waiting knowing I have a order in, rather than waiting to just get my order approved for access to order a product.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,176 of 5,310
  I anyone else having an issue with good communication with Cosmic Ears?

In the last month, I have registered on their site, request the shop access, sent in my ear impressions (with my username on the site and intended product I want to purchase), and waited.

I sent 3 emails, and had one response about the item I was interested in, and a promise that they would look into my site access to buy the product.  

I then sent 4 Skype messages, about one each week.  I have received responses stating they would look into my site access and see if they received my ear impressions.  But I am still sitting here with my money in my hand, waiting for cosmic ears to take my order.  

I understand they don't want a lot of customers paid and waiting for extended period of time... but I think Id feel more comfortable waiting knowing I have a order in, rather than waiting to just get my order approved for access to order a product.

Phil usually want to make sure that he receive the ear impressions before he accept your payment. As you know, there are bound to have people who might just want to switch just because they can't wait for the ear impressions to reach and also maybe the fact that Phil is still finding the ear impressions considering the amount he receives.

Though I can understand how you feel of hoping to have the money accepted when waiting for the shop to open. I think you just have to continue to "bug" him about it since it's rather weird for it to take 1 month to reach. Did you use airmail or land mail? If you use land mail, you might want to think about taking a few more weeks before trying again, though that also depends on where you live. (Sorry, not sure of your country's mailing system so was giving a more general possibility)

By the way, anyone notice that the CER-reshell is missing from the shop request form?

I am able to see it from my side though.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,178 of 5,310
Thanks for your reply... I live near Washington DC USA.  I used our US Postal Service, which informed me they no longer do mail by boat, so it would have been flown to Sweden.  They also informed me it would only take 7-12 days.  Ill continue to contact him to make sure the impressions was delivered.

I see the CER in the store, but when I go to the Shop Request page, it will only allow me to pick: BA1, BA2, BA3, BA4, BA5, HY2, HY3, and Pre-fit service.

Am I missing something?

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,179 of 5,310
  Thanks for your reply... I live near Washington DC USA.  I used our US Postal Service, which informed me they no longer do mail by boat, so it would have been flown to Sweden.  They also informed me it would only take 7-12 days.  Ill continue to contact him to make sure the impressions was delivered.

I see the CER in the store, but when I go to the Shop Request page, it will only allow me to pick: BA1, BA2, BA3, BA4, BA5, HY2, HY3, and Pre-fit service.

Am I missing something?

You'll have to send Phil a mail to unlock the CER option.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #3,180 of 5,310
The more I read about the JDS C5, the better they seem. Phil said the synergy between the C5 and the BA4f wasn't too good, but then again, other amps shouldn't sound much better according to my "research". 

So I got really stubborn, and actually bought a C5. Phil found the C5+BA4f a bit too warm. However, the source (DX50) is fairly cold, so I might get a really nice pairing.
And, if I really don't like the synergy, I can just sell the C5. In the meantime, I would like to use as many (portable) amps to find the best pairing for the BA4f :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back