Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3,198 of 5,310

Very nice! The smoke colour is a lot more popular than I thought. I notice that the logo is on the back, and you have initials on it too. Did they just start doing that?

Mine are on their way back to me after their second refit. Fingers crossed that they fit perfectly this time - I don't want it to be like David Cotton's case - no offence intended 
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3,200 of 5,310
First impressions paired with iBasso DX50 or pc -> fiio e17 are that this was money well spent.

Initials and logo inside seem standard now, I'm happy mines made the cut there as they'd have been a bit boring without that.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #3,201 of 5,310
  First impressions paired with iBasso DX50 or pc -> fiio e17 are that this was money well spent.

Initials and logo inside seem standard now, I'm happy mines made the cut there as they'd have been a bit boring without that.

Good :)

I've just received the O2 amp, and pairing it with the LO of the audinst I can hear a relatively big improvent. 
Especially in songs that firsts sounded a bit jumbled, and messy, the BA4f sounds crystal clear paired with the O2. The biggest improvement is probably in the bass, it has even more resolution now. 

The biggest improvement is that I don't need an EQ with this amp! The midbass hump is gone, funny how 5 ohms of impedance can wreck the sound. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,202 of 5,310
  Very nice! The smoke colour is a lot more popular than I thought. I notice that the logo is on the back, and you have initials on it too. Did they just start doing that?

Mine are on their way back to me after their second refit. Fingers crossed that they fit perfectly this time - I don't want it to be like David Cotton's case - no offence intended 
tongue.gif

None taken.  If the only good thing that came out of my situation is that the prefit service has helped others then it's all good :)

I still can't work out why my right ear prefers silicone whilst my left prefers acrylic.  Go work that one out :p

Still tempted to give the ba4f a shot but I just don't want to get stuck in the loop again.   With the advent of the custom universals becoming more prevalent I may go that route instead :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3,203 of 5,310
I have to say that my experience with Phil and CosmicEars so far has been nothing but stellar. I sent my JH16 in for reshelling, and not only has he helped to detect an issue with the drivers, he has spared no effort in helping me try to solve the problem, going over and above what any other company would do.

This company places serious emphasis on customer satisfaction, and this was demonstrated to me when I asked to order a HY3 as a replacement for my jh16, instead of seizing the opportunity to make a quick buck, he tells me to be patient and see if he can fix the 16s instead because in his words "coming from the 16s you would not be happy with the HY3".

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #3,204 of 5,310
  None taken.  If the only good thing that came out of my situation is that the prefit service has helped others then it's all good :)

I still can't work out why my right ear prefers silicone whilst my left prefers acrylic.  Go work that one out :p

Still tempted to give the ba4f a shot but I just don't want to get stuck in the loop again.   With the advent of the custom universals becoming more prevalent I may go that route instead :)

If you managed to get a good fit in the end, perhaps they can make the BA4f based on your final well-fitting shells instead of from impressions, that way they will fit for sure. Not sure if it's possible.

I have to say that my experience with Phil and CosmicEars so far has been nothing but stellar. I sent my JH16 in for reshelling, and not only has he helped to detect an issue with the drivers, he has spared no effort in helping me try to solve the problem, going over and above what any other company would do.

This company places serious emphasis on customer satisfaction, and this was demonstrated to me when I asked to order a HY3 as a replacement for my jh16, instead of seizing the opportunity to make a quick buck, he tells me to be patient and see if he can fix the 16s instead because in his words "coming from the 16s you would not be happy with the HY3".

So they're now doing reshells for other models besides the TF10? That's great. I wonder if they will be able to keep the sonics exactly the same as an original JH16, as a slightly different bore length/diameter can change the sound quite a bit. And he's right, the HY3 are good but there's no way they will be anywhere near as good as the JH16 with only 3 drivers. The future HY5 might come closer but I would expect it to be similar in performance to the UM Merlin.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #3,205 of 5,310

If you managed to get a good fit in the end, perhaps they can make the BA4f based on your final well-fitting shells instead of from impressions, that way they will fit for sure. Not sure if it's possible.

So they're now doing reshells for other models besides the TF10? That's great. I wonder if they will be able to keep the sonics exactly the same as an original JH16, as a slightly different bore length/diameter can change the sound quite a bit. And he's right, the HY3 are good but there's no way they will be anywhere near as good as the JH16 with only 3 drivers. The future HY5 might come closer but I would expect it to be similar in performance to the UM Merlin.

Yep, they can reshell other earphones but it's best to email them before sending them in to confirm. They have measuring/tuning equipment over there, that's how Phil found an issue with the driver from one side. I think they will be able to keep the sonics almost exactly the same, and with Phil's high level of quality control, I think if he didn't have the confidence to return a comparable product, he would not have offered to reshell them.

Yes, I know it won't be fair to compare the HY3 to the 16s, but I was looking at hybrid monitors for sometime now. I'll probably wait for the hy5 and see how it goes.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3,206 of 5,310

It's that uncertainty that's stopping me from doing it tbh.  Just don't want to get locked into that loop again particularly as we are now fast approaching the dread "C" word (Ch******s) and all that entails for world shipping :p

On the subject of reshelling I do know that they are willing to do a westone 3 as I inquired about that.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,207 of 5,310
Mine have arrived............but the outcome is not what I ordered.
I'm listening to them now as I type, they sound great, but I asked and paid for a black face plate but i only got smoke.
Fit is good, sound is good but not to my design.
I'll email Phil.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3,209 of 5,310
I'm listening to them now as I type, they sound great, but I asked and paid for a black face plate but i only got smoke.
I'll email Phil.

The question is, whether you'd rather have a partial refund, or go back and forth with the cIEMs to alter the looks. 
I would just ask for a partial refund, especially since smoke is really pretty! Unless the black face plate is really important for you.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3,210 of 5,310
I'll email Phil.

oh dear...well i agree with marleybob217 when it comes to the design, unless your black plate had some artwork on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back