Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #1,036 of 5,310
Thanks mate!

Check this out :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607311/my-iem-round-up-64-earphones-compared-with-a-lot-more-coming

I do have the Sony, i was rather impressed for what it signifies for the price but way too bassy for me and needs a bit more treble. If your not finding it that bassy then you need to try more tip and find a seal.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,037 of 5,310
Quote:
Thanks mate!

Check this out :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607311/my-iem-round-up-64-earphones-compared-with-a-lot-more-coming

I do have the Sony, i was rather impressed for what it signifies for the price but way too bassy for me and needs a bit more treble. If your not finding it that bassy then you need to try more tip and find a seal.

No, I found it so bassy that I couldn't really hear any real detail or anything else. I am not at all in any way, shape, or form a bass head, but I've heard bass heavy phones with tons of detail, and with some eq even enjoyed them, but these were just so over the top, it was like nothing but bass bleed.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,038 of 5,310
This thread is awesome, so happy I found it. I went through every page last night! Looking into my first pair of CIEM's

Was thinking of getting some 1964 Ears Dual Drivers but with Cosmic, I can get more!

Am I understanding this correctly,

Dual hybrid - one dynamic driver for the lows, balanced armatures for the mids/highs
Triple hybrid - one dynamic driver for lows, balanced armatures for mids, 2nd balanced armature for the highs?

I'm leaning towards the triple hybrid. I also would've chosen purple with 1964 Ears anyways so to me its cool Cosmic has it as its default color

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,039 of 5,310
Your thinking correctly. The Triple hybrid is also known as teh HY3, its how you can get it cheaper. There are impressions of it on here and are all positive. I reviewed the HY3XB which is a great bass head IEM.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,040 of 5,310
Thanks, I read everything pretty late last night and burned through a lot, I think I fried myself lol

I like the impressions of both the HY3 and HY3XB. I like having great bass as well but I think I'd lean towards the HY3 because being a Grado lover and mostly into rock, I like mids and highs to be clear. With the proper fit/seal, I'm sure they have enough bass for me.

Won't have the money to order one until 2nd week of January but since they're out of stock currently, no sweat. I like reading the news update that new CIEMs will feature re-done cable designs.

I'm thinking, HY3, in purple, medium shells, detachable bottom-exit cable, and most likely, flush sockets.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,041 of 5,310
I'm thinking, HY3, in purple, medium shells, detachable bottom-exit cable, and most likely, flush sockets.

The HY3 is a defined configuration of purple, full sized shells, detachable top exit cables, flush sockets and a premium quality cable. This standard configuration is what allows them to keep their prices so good for such a specification and I am advised the HY3 is their best selling model.

If you want to vary your configuration, you are going to need to select the 'Flex' range, that will offer customisation options for you.

And just to be clear, as I don't think it was entirely clear from some of the other posts, the HY3 is not 3 BA's + a dynamic, it is a twin BA for the highs/mids and a dynamic driver for the bass.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,042 of 5,310
Quote:
Some examples of what I listen to. I guess nothing too bassy, second song would have the most bass out of the three songs. Mostly looking for something that will let everything shine, I don't particularly want something that is bass heavy but wouldn't mind something that had some good bass if that makes sense. Haha.

Thanks for posting those links, Its always interesting to hear what others are into.
Maybe the HY3 (nonXB) or the triple BA would suit your tastes?
That's speculation though, as I haven't heard the triple, or even read any reactions from owners.
Quote:
I'm a little surprised that no ones tried the triple ba that they do.  I may well give that one a go.

Is that your triple that's been tweeted by cosmic?:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1231024&l=107569bece&id=193447217376479

http://arqspin.com/s/3aabyuvweowai

Whoever owns those needs to feed the enquiring minds here once they've heard them!.

The 'beach washed stone' finish is unusual and pretty cool.

What do people think about the finishes offered by cosmic?
Given the chance to pay a little extra and choose a custom finish I think I'd do it again.
I haven't seen the ones pictured in my avatar in the flesh yet, but I think I'll like them better than the purple Flex I had (purely the finish, not sound).
That's not to say that I didn't like the purple, and I understand why Phil chose it as the 'house' colour.
The cost savings are why I chose purple the first time around though.
It will also be interesting to see how the carbon faceplate looks as I'm not a big carbon fan myself, or a purple fan for that matter.
The only carbon plate that I've seen that looked good (IMHO) was the textured carbon applied to this Lear of Project86's:

Most glossy/smooth carbon plates have the look of that self adhesive wrap that always seems to fail to make stuff look classy/expensive.

I think I'll ask Phil if he'll try an Idea I have for a finish (Flex).
If he will it might be enough to make my mind up between the BA4 and hybrid Flex, I just can't decide.

What do you guys think about paying more for the colour options?, is it worthwhile giving up the custom colour for the savings? ( for you that is, not me )

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,043 of 5,310
Quote:
The HY3 is a defined configuration of purple, full sized shells, detachable top exit cables, flush sockets and a premium quality cable. This standard configuration is what allows them to keep their prices so good for such a specification and I am advised the HY3 is their best selling model.
If you want to vary your configuration, you are going to need to select the 'Flex' range, that will offer customisation options for you.
And just to be clear, as I don't think it was entirely clear from some of the other posts, the HY3 is not 3 BA's + a dynamic, it is a twin BA for the highs/mids and a dynamic driver for the bass.

Thanks, I understand the HY3 is a defined config, I saw the options I mentioned in the Flex option on their website, just didn't mention it.

So the triple hybrid in the flex options is a twin BA for the mids/highs and a dynamic for the lows, so 2 total drivers in each ear piece?

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,045 of 5,310
Quote:
That's not carbon fibre on Projects Lear. I have the same thing it's just a nice looking textured material but not CF.

Looks like Di Noc Carbon fibre effect Vinyl made by 3m. I have it on the front of my ipod in the form of a 'skin' and covered my old ipod mini with it. And used it on some DC power cable connectors. Not that im really into carbon fibre....

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,046 of 5,310
Quote:
Thanks for posting those links, Its always interesting to hear what others are into.
Maybe the HY3 (nonXB) or the triple BA would suit your tastes?
That's speculation though, as I haven't heard the triple, or even read any reactions from owners.
Is that your triple that's been tweeted by cosmic?:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1231024&l=107569bece&id=193447217376479

http://arqspin.com/s/3aabyuvweowai

Whoever owns those needs to feed the enquiring minds here once they've heard them!.

The 'beach washed stone' finish is unusual and pretty cool.

What do people think about the finishes offered by cosmic?
Given the chance to pay a little extra and choose a custom finish I think I'd do it again.
I haven't seen the ones pictured in my avatar in the flesh yet, but I think I'll like them better than the purple Flex I had (purely the finish, not sound).
That's not to say that I didn't like the purple, and I understand why Phil chose it as the 'house' colour.
The cost savings are why I chose purple the first time around though.
It will also be interesting to see how the carbon faceplate looks as I'm not a big carbon fan myself, or a purple fan for that matter.
The only carbon plate that I've seen that looked good (IMHO) was the textured carbon applied to this Lear of Project86's:

Most glossy/smooth carbon plates have the look of that self adhesive wrap that always seems to fail to make stuff look classy/expensive.

I think I'll ask Phil if he'll try an Idea I have for a finish (Flex).
If he will it might be enough to make my mind up between the BA4 and hybrid Flex, I just can't decide.

What do you guys think about paying more for the colour options?, is it worthwhile giving up the custom colour for the savings? ( for you that is, not me )

If only!

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,048 of 5,310
Quote:
My flex micro twin ba is nearly finished so should get it pretty soon and will let you know how it is
biggrin.gif
just for those who are wondering
biggrin.gif

I'm a little curious why we cannot order the micros. If the micro is compatible with only the standard cable, why can't they take orders for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back