Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,051 of 5,310
I'm enjoying my twin micros every day! Just love them! I would however like to see a comparison between the UM Merlin and The HY3 and HY3XB, especially when it comes to bass and sub-bass in particular! I know they are in completely different price ranges but I think a comparison would still be of value! Project?

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,052 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm enjoying my twin micros every day! Just love them! I would however like to see a comparison between the UM Merlin and The HY3 and HY3XB, especially when it comes to bass and sub-bass in particular! I know they are in completely different price ranges but I think a comparison would still be of value! Project?

Someone has the twin micros? What's the deal! Have you posted comparisons anywhere?

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,055 of 5,310
Quote:
Someone has the twin micros? What's the deal! Have you posted comparisons anywhere?

I did initial impressions a while back..  post#410 

Not much of a comparison tho.. I might have to do a write-up soon :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #1,056 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

I did initial impressions a while back..  post#410 

Not much of a comparison tho.. I might have to do a write-up soon :)

Sorry, I went away for a few days and read the last page, but didn't go far back when I returned. Must have missed it. Sorry!

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #1,057 of 5,310
No need to apologize :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,059 of 5,310
I just sent my Flex twin micro back to Cosmic to be "fattened up" a little. I sent new impressions as well for the HY3 or possibly the BA4, haven't worked all that out yet. But I'm already missing the twin... yes, I've got plenty of other CIEMs to choose from, but the twin was my bed time choice. None of my other customs are good for sleeping - they all feel strange when I roll over on my side. Plus the memory wire that most of them have is not ideal. Bottom exit plus ultra-compact housings equal great for sleeping! 

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,061 of 5,310
Quote:
Thanks for the review project 86.  Definitely something to look into.  Can anyone tell me how these would compare to other universal IEM's in the same price range as build and sound quality goes?

Well it's hard to compare a custom to a universal in terms of build quality. The only thing you can really compare is cable quality, which may be in flux depending on what Cosmic decides to do. If they switch to the "premium" cable for all models then it is basically the Westone Epic style cable just like numerous other companies use. The basic cable that mine have is decent, strong but somewhat prone to tangles. Definitely not a major issue considering the price - I've seen better and I've seen far worse on various universals.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,062 of 5,310
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.  I'm new to head-fi, and was surprised to see these customs so cheap, and wondering where the catch might be, and thinking it might have been better to have held off on purchasing the se215, even though I got them at a pretty good price.  How about the sound?  Is it on par with other IEM's in it's price range, or do they sacrifice sound quality so that they can offer custom molds?  Thanks agian for the help :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,063 of 5,310
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.  I'm new to head-fi, and was surprised to see these customs so cheap, and wondering where the catch might be, and thinking it might have been better to have held off on purchasing the se215, even though I got them at a pretty good price.  How about the sound?  Is it on par with other IEM's in it's price range, or do they sacrifice sound quality so that they can offer custom molds?  Thanks agian for the help :)

I think the most expensive part on CIEMs is the tuning process which requires technicians. The BAs are almost at the same price range for every pair of CIEM, so the SQ should base on their tuning not the number of BA.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,065 of 5,310
I really dig the sound of the Flex with the twin drivers. It reminds me of a good set of stand-mount monitor speakers - it doesn't have earth shattering bass, but can extend surprisingly deep. And I like the way Cosmic Ears has the upper mids tuned to be detailed but not overly aggressive. It's a really good sounding IEM and I haven't heard anything that could blow it away for the price. There might be something out there that fits you better: say for example if you wanted massive bass above all else. You could get an Atrio or some such thing but it wouldn't be as clear sounding overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back