Corda Symphony info and impressions
Dec 26, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #256 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
evil_smiley.gif

Still, it has to be said, I look at the internals of some of those budget portable amps selling for $100+ and all I see is maybe five bucks worth of parts inside them.
k701smile.gif

Looks like you know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #257 of 428
Quote:

I know, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
evil_smiley.gif

Still, it has to be said, I look at the internals of some of those budget portable amps selling for $100+ and all I see is maybe five bucks worth of parts inside them.
k701smile.gif

Tells more about you than about the amp in question.....

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #258 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bunch of resistors, capacitors, printboard circuits, PSU and a few dollars worth of wire is all there is in any amp."

symphonypcb680.jpg

????

And this is just the top side of the PCB. Most of the analog amplification circuitry is at the bottom side!!!!

Jan

Nice clean layout. I'll give you $200.00 USD for it.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #259 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

<existentialist mode on>

No material object has any value when you look at the big picture.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #260 of 428
Quote:

Bunch of resistors, capacitors, printboard circuits, PSU and a few dollars worth of wire is all there is in any amp. Nothing even approaching $2000.00 worth of kit. Probably the most expensive part to the manufacturer is the fancy over sized case with their fancy important sounding logo on it.

Oh Yeah, I suppose you just go to the local electronic store, buy them and then throw all of them inside a case (or maybe a box) and you have a nice sounding amp. That's how it works, right?
I suppose there aren't any extra cost for research and development, ensambling, the knowldege involved in the production, rights, taxes... nothing, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #263 of 428
Quote:

Oh, well, lack of humor is thick around here.

Quite honestly, I really do not see the humour in your posts. Rather it is more like a mean, ill-willed attack on what I see as a decent, good-value product.

If this is not your intention, it would be good to the community if you can clarify.

F. Lo

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #265 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite honestly, I really do not see the humour in your posts. Rather it is more like a mean, ill-willed attack on what I see as a decent, good-value product.

If this is not your intention, it would be good to the community if you can clarify.

F. Lo

Well, the truth is in the jest, I admit. My Onkyo receiver has far more complex circuitry and parts than any headphone amp and is just as well put together, built in a similar Chinese factory by laborers getting paid next to nothing. Now explain to me how you can possibly perceive a $1700.00 headphone amp that ouputs just mw to have even close to the same value as my Onkyo receiver that cost $400.00 and has 7 channels of 75w output, does a multitude of DSPs and even has an AM/FM tuner . The plain fact is that it doesn't. There's your explanation and is the only one I am posting.
happy_face1.gif

p.s. I was not attacking any one product specifically. My comments were a friendly observation on overpriced audio gear in general.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #266 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh. Let us all stop feeding the troll, myself included.

I actually think he's not even trolling on purpose, but out of sheer ignorance.
Sad.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #267 of 428
Quote:

Well, the truth is in the jest, I admit. My Onkyo receiver has far more complex circuitry and parts than any headphone amp and is just as well put together, built in a similar Chinese factory by laborers getting paid next to nothing. Now explain to me how you can possibly perceive a $1700.00 headphone amp that ouputs just mw to have even close to the same value as my Onkyo receiver that cost $400.00 and has 7 channels of 75w output, does a multitude of DSPs and even has an AM/FM tuner . The plain fact is that it doesn't. There's your explanation and is the only one I am posting.
happy_face1.gif

p.s. I was not attacking any one product specifically. My comments were a friendly observation on overpriced audio gear in general.

Don't try to dress your bitter and twisted comments up with the virtues of humour or friendship.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #269 of 428
Quote:

happy_face1.gif

The specific needs to drive a variety of headphones ranging from 25-600 ohms exceptionally well are not addressed in the Onkyo, which is primarily intended to drive speakers with different requirements and properties - and adapting the Onkyo to also drive headphones is not the main focus of Onkyo's development team.

Quality of internal components will also play a role, as does the actual circuit layout - we know the sound changes with the slightest change in layout or components, so don't expect two similarly "busy looking" circuit designs to sound the same.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #270 of 428
Quote:

happy_face1.gif

Massive economies of scale in every aspect. Ask Jan who else works on design, R&D, and prototyping of his stuff. Ask Jan how many products he has to sell in order to support himself for a year. Onkyo is a large corporation in which your receiver is just one product, and they make tons of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back