CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
Jun 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #151 of 183
I was reading through this and the 300's thread and decided to pull the trigger on a set of 500's from Bluetin. 112 Eu shipped (169.00 USD). and after a few days of burn in I'm really amazed. The highest quality dynamic I've had to date has been the Senn CX500's. I have B/A triple driver customs and some UESF5Pro's but I'm amazed how different Higher end Dynamic are from BA. They remind me of my Denon Full Sized cans. The bass is more of a feel than a sound and although the mids and highs are a bit sibilant, it's nothing a little EQ can't fix. I'm gonna have to give some Atrios a try.
I really anxious to try some custom tips.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #152 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan, for example, if somebody listened to 20% pop, 20% house, 20% trance, 20% classical, 20% jazz and had only one choice to make between the Image X10 and these Victor's, which one would you give the nod to?

Hi kojebee...

It all depends on the source I guess - But, with the Sony X, I would have no hesitation in recommending the FXs, as they are seemingly almost a perfect match to the Sony... The X10 are also good, but - to me they require a lot of EQ'ing to get to the level of the FX - Which can be counterproductive - But, again - this is only using the Sony X... This may be a different story with another DAP...

...Sorry I'm not much help (I only have the Sony X with me, and am about to head off to the airport... so won't be able to answer re any of my other DAPs until back in the country at the back end of next week...)

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #153 of 183
someone buy mine!!
biggrin.gif

if you lookin to try them out... save yourself some $$ and help out a fellow head-fi'er.... i'm amazed they haven't sold yet... price too high?
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #154 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone buy mine!!
biggrin.gif

if you lookin to try them out... save yourself some $$ and help out a fellow head-fi'er.... i'm amazed they haven't sold yet... price too high?
frown.gif

yg response in thread.
Reason for selling?

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #155 of 183
not the IE8 killers i was hoping they'd be... i wanted more sub-bass... they reach deeper it seems, but its a softer impact than i hoped. i got the IE8s again to try instead.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #156 of 183
kloan-
Did you try lots of different tips that fit the wide nozzles that the IE8 and victor share? I'm having great success with Sony hybrid tips. With them, I hear more sub bass than on the IE8's. Try every tip option you have available before you sell them. For me, seal has been critical. For example, I thought the Senn foamies were the best until I decided to pop on those hybrids, and whoa man, the bass reached an extra level lower.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #157 of 183
Those are actually the tips I was using...

I am expecting the IE8s tomorrow.. I'll have a listen to both, but I have a feeling I'll still prefer the IE8.. maybe it's because they have more punch (mid-bass).. odd, cuz I usually don't like mid-bass... anyway, it's only going from memory now, so I won't know til I try em again.

The high-end is something my sensitive ears still don't like with the JVCs though.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #158 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are actually the tips I was using...

I am expecting the IE8s tomorrow.. I'll have a listen to both, but I have a feeling I'll still prefer the IE8.. maybe it's because they have more punch (mid-bass).. odd, cuz I usually don't like mid-bass... anyway, it's only going from memory now, so I won't know til I try em again.

The high-end is something my sensitive ears still don't like with the JVCs though.

Hey Kloan maybe my ears got accustomed to them but I think the high end is much better now. Initially I thought they were a bit lacking in overall tonality but that has improved as well.
The JVCs especially for the price has exceeded my expectations. Great sub bass, clear open vocals and nice smooth treble!! Am one happy fellow haha.

I still prefer my IE8s handily overall though and as of now nothing I've heard surpasses them but I think FX500s are some very good contenders and no slouch at all. I have actually gotten to prefer the bass on the JVCs. IE8 doesn't have that much bass weight, definition and sweet Reverb. With some tips IE8s does indeed go deep though this deep bass is a bit shrouded by a slight mid bass. That slight mid bass to me makes the IE8s seem to hit harder and perhaps that's what you're looking for!! haha
icon10.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #160 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also prefer the ie8 other than bass. sadly, though i thought i would think differently, the bass on the ie8 is completely not to my liking...

Is your set well burned-in?
I found the excess midbass-warmth disappears, however, I like a sound signature a little bit on the warmth side, perhaps contrary to your preference.
You can also experiment with the bass-dial-thing, it chances he character of the bass, not only the quantity.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #161 of 183
i have done both and found that the bass is too energetic for my tastes in the upper bass. it happened with poorly driven atrios also but not do this degree. their is a plastic echo that can only come from one place: the housing. i am very keen on this and have complained at length about the atrio which are still to this day, my favourite iems.

but, for trance, they are horrible in some places, passable in others and overall, sub-par. the ie8 are like a slightly better iem in this regard, but still - i don't find them great for fast electronic. i am listening to them constantly and hope to find a sweet spot, but...

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #162 of 183
I have had a very short session trying the FX500 last week in a local shop, and I must say that those who love them are bassheads
floatsmile.png
And its the first time I realised what kind of sound signature a basshead is fond of
icon10.gif

To my ears, the bass is boomy and overwhelming, definitely not my taste...

Ok we dont share the same mileage and I dont know what kind of sources it was connected to when I tried them
tongue.gif
Perhaps FX500 really shines with the Sony DAP.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #163 of 183
they are very bassy but if you listen to them alongside other phones, rather than boomy, the are resolved. however, if you are unused to a lot of bass, they will sound boomy. if you heard boomy, you would not even dare put the legendary float icon to use - quite sure.

however, they are definitely bass-head phones.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #164 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have done both and found that the bass is too energetic for my tastes in the upper bass. it happened with poorly driven atrios also but not do this degree. their is a plastic echo that can only come from one place: the housing. i am very keen on this and have complained at length about the atrio which are still to this day, my favourite iems.

but, for trance, they are horrible in some places, passable in others and overall, sub-par. the ie8 are like a slightly better iem in this regard, but still - i don't find them great for fast electronic. i am listening to them constantly and hope to find a sweet spot, but...

Try the IE8 with the Icon mobile - significant improvement of bass quality IMO.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #165 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a very short session trying the FX500 last week in a local shop, and I must say that those who love them are bassheads
floatsmile.png
And its the first time I realised what kind of sound signature a basshead is fond of
icon10.gif

To my ears, the bass is boomy and overwhelming, definitely not my taste...

I respect your opinion and don't doubt that I may be a bass head
ksc75smile.gif

but boomy and overwhelming, hmmmmmmm
If anything I might say they're never quite boomy and no midbass= not so overwhelming. they do possess quite some bass weight though and I absolutely love it hahaha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back