CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
May 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 183

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just spoke to someone called Richard at JVC in the UK to find out if the JVC HA-FX1000 is in fact, the re-branded JVC Victor HP-FX500, and he confirmed without a doubt that it is.

He said the FX1000 is exactly the same model, but was renamed specifically for the official UK release. So I'm returning mine to Apple and will buy the FX500 at a third of the price! If anyone in the UK wants confirmation for themselves, this is is the number I called, JVC Customer Support: 08703 305 000.

Oh, and he agreed it was 'odd' to triple the price and double the model number to make it appear as an upgraded version.

Talk about misleading.

May 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 183
Wow... I am having mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, it is mighty tempting to buy the FX500 online now. But on the other I am pretty darn pissed off with JVC and/or Apple for deliberately attempting to mislead and price gouge potential customers. I know us in the UK are no strangers to being ripped off, but this is a whole new level...

Thanks for confirming Julie.

May 28, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just spoke to someone called Richard at JVC in the UK to find out if the JVC HA-FX1000 is in fact, the re-branded JVC Victor HP-FX500, and he confirmed without a doubt that it is.

He said the FX1000 is exactly the same model, but was renamed specifically for the official UK release. So I'm returning mine to Apple and will buy the FX500 at a third of the price! If anyone in the UK wants confirmation for themselves, this is is the number I called, JVC Customer Support: 08703 305 000.

Oh, and he agreed it was 'odd' to triple the price and double the model number to make it appear as an upgraded version.

Talk about misleading.

Oh snap! More money flying away
atsmile.gif
That is pretty damn shady though
frown.gif

May 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh snap! More money flying away
atsmile.gif
That is pretty damn shady though
frown.gif

Shady? It's bloody disgusting. I know all about product rebranding, but this is taking the piss. I'm going to do some more digging now, maybe Tradings Standards or something, I'm not letting this one drop.

May 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 183
The increased price and doubled number designation must have created a halo effect on the FX phone. Mainly because the FX500 has been around for some time, and while it received positive reviews on balance, it doesn't seem to be nearly as critically acclaimed as the FX1000 has been for the past couple of weeks.

Guess a higher price and higher number can play tricks on the ears sometimes. For example, Shigzeo rates the Atrio M5 as his preferred dynamic IEM in this price range, with the Monster Turbines and FX500s a close second. Not bad company, but hardly the same critical raves as the IE8 has gotten.

I agree with Walkingman. If JVC will pull such a nasty scam (and even admit to it), they would not be a company I'd want to ship my money to. But I guess at $135, the FX500 is a good value, so others feel differently.

May 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 183
I don't know that it created a halo effect as such. Don't forget that I have a new source as well (the X), and new earphones, so any feelings I have about the JVC are based on how they sound with the new Sony, and none of my other daps. And they're a fantastic match with the X.

May 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shady? It's bloody disgusting. I know all about product rebranding, but this is taking the piss. I'm going to do some more digging now, maybe Tradings Standards or something, I'm not letting this one drop.

Class action maybe?

May 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 183
Hahahaha!

uhh, sorry.

May 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 183
And my understanding of the Halo Effect would be if I heard both phones (without knowing they were the same), and then claimed the FX1000 sounded much better! If they were the same, then it would only be the price that dictated my preference, that's Halo to me. Since I haven't heard the other / same pair, I'm not choosing one over the other, am I?

May 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha!

uhh, sorry.

Hey, I hope you checked your tracking recently...

"We are sorry. Your package is not on its way"...
tongue.gif

May 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 183
@Soozieq...I just meant that the FX1000 certainly is being touted as an IE8 killer (at least when paired with the 1000X), but the FX500 was never really given such heady accolades, and probably would not have unless someone stumbled on pairing the FX500 with the new Sony DAP.

If, as you note, the dynamic between the Sony DAP and the FX500 is so amazing (better than the IE8, for example?), then that's great. I just wonder ... if the FX500 had been the original phone in this discussion and the FX1000 never existed, would it be getting the same raves with the X1000? The thought that it was a newer model and three times the price could have colored someone's initial impression, it's only human nature.

Do you prefer the FX500 over the IE8 with the Sony DAP? I know you are having ear pressure issues, so it may be a moot point. But without that, is the FX500 a better match with the X1000? You might have said so already, but I didn't read back over the entire FX500 (1000) thread.

May 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 183
i would have rated the fx500 a bit higher had the cable been of normal length. as it is, it is short by about 20cm. i still think in the price range, they are probably top of the balance scale, but for overall build and having a true ace up the sleeve, the atrio remain my favs.

i have a hard time deciding between the fx500 and the turbine. the fx500 have an extra bit of speed that shows them well and the better soundstage. like i have said, i have never heard the ie8.

nevertheless, this is rubbish. jvc did bad when they called this marketing coup. considering jvc/victor are not as major a player in the earphone arena as other companies, many customers probably would not know they are being gouged. when i got mine at after shipping for just over 130-140 usd, i was ecstatic at the quality for the price, but i would not be so much so if i had paid over 250$ usd or more. for that much, the stress relief on both the earphones and the cable end must be a lot better and coupled with a more atrio-esque cable that will wear the body salts better.

suzie! they arrived... you must be... what? happy? sad? looking for a better deal?

May 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
suzie! they arrived... you must be... what? happy? sad? looking for a better deal?

No, I'm loving them! They're so clear and pure but not cold in the slightest. They're like a breath of fresh air after the IE8, and guitars sound mind-blowingly alive. When I go back to the W3, the guitars sound less vibrant and it's noticeable until I adjust to the sound again. And of course I would rather pay the equivalent of £90 for them instead of £250, especially if I also want to keep my W3. I can't justify keeping two pairs of £250 phones, but if I bought the JVC for £90, then I could probably convince myself to keep them both
ksc75smile.gif

The Turbines were way way too warm for me, the FX is warm AND cool, it's like having 2 phones in one
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: They don't sound the same with the Touch at all, but they seem to have a special connection with the X.

May 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wonder ... if the FX500 had been the original phone in this discussion and the FX1000 never existed, would it be getting the same raves with the X1000?

As far as I know, only 2 people have heard the FX500/1000 with the Sony X. I'm sure Duncan's opinion wouldn't have been any different if he'd known it was the FX500. In fact, I think he pointed out in one of the threads that even if it was the FX500 - then it represented a real bargain at £90. His opinion didn't change just because he found out they could have been the FX500, he still thought they sounded great despite that. No halo effect there
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back