CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
May 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, only 2 people have heard the FX500/1000 with the Sony X. I'm sure Duncan's opinion wouldn't have been any different if he'd known it was the FX500. In fact, I think he pointed out in one of the threads that even if it was the FX500 - then it represented a real bargain at £90. His opinion didn't change just because he found out they could have been the FX500, he still thought they sounded great despite that. No halo effect there
smile_phones.gif

I guess it's a purely serendipitous event then. I have had the same experience with a new set of phones (VSonics R02 Pro II), which sound excellent with the Zune80, but not so hot with the Touch 2G. Haven't tried them with the Clip or A818 yet, that's next. No doubt some IEMs just pair up exceptionally with certain DAPs.

Since it's two-for-two, as they say in American baseball, seems anyone who has the X1000 and the IE8 would be smart to sell the latter and buy the FX500 ($160 on ebay right now, free shipping to U.S.).

Or even better, sell the IE8s for $300 or so, buy the FX500s for $160, and wait for the X1000 to release in the U.S., since the cash from the IEM sale/purchase could be applied to the X1000 purchase.

May 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it's a purely serendipitous event then. I have had the same experience with a new set of phones (VSonics R02 Pro II), which sound excellent with the Zune80, but not so hot with the Touch 2G. Haven't tried them with the Clip or A818 yet, that's next. No doubt some IEMs just pair up exceptionally with certain DAPs.

Since it's two-for-two, as they say in American baseball,
seems anyone who has the X1000 and the IE8 would be smart to sell the latter and buy the FX500

Edited: Ooops, I see that you were referring to IE8/FX1000 owners, not all IE8 owners. Ignore me!!!

May 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 183
Quote:

Why? I don't understand your reasoning. The IE8 sounds nothing like the FX500/1000. Why would all IE8 owners suddenly choose to sell their IE8's to buy a phone that sounds totally different if they're happy with the IE8? You're taking a couple of opinions and assuming those views will fit with all IE8 owners, but how does that make any sense?

You have a good point.... As i sold my FX500's for a pair of IE8's. To get a good sound i had to EQ the hell out of my A818 for the FX500's to sound any good. Where as i can keep the EQ flat and the IE8's sound perfect.... It really comes down to a matter of taste. The FX500 is a great IEM for the price though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 183
i also have a few sony models (silly me), s615, s636 and the a828 (is that right). i found that the fx500 was not the best with those models. i preferred it actually with the old touch to the sony models i had. it could be that ... actually, i can think of no really good reason. i preferred the atrio with the sony, but not the victor.

May 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a good point.... As i sold my FX500's for a pair of IE8's. To get a good sound i had to EQ the hell out of my A818 for the FX500's to sound any good. Where as i can keep the EQ flat and the IE8's sound perfect.... It really comes down to a matter of taste. The FX500 is a great IEM for the price though
smily_headphones1.gif

That's really all it's about, I agree. The JVC is the anti-IE8
biggrin.gif

They also sound nicer on my Sony X than with my 808.

May 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 183
Quote:

That's really all it's about, I agree. The JVC is the anti-IE8
biggrin.gif

They also sound nicer on my Sony X than with my 808.

Funny that
wink.gif
As i currently have a pair of HP-DX700's as my reference phones and my IE8's for travel.

JVC do make lovely looking phones!

May 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 183
Seems I have to do a lot of catching up. I missed the whole thread about FX1000 and since when FX1000 become IE8 killer? Thought IE8 soundstage and bass is unbeatable, even there is flaw in its vocal presentation

May 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 183
Quote:

Edited: Ooops, I see that you were referring to IE8/FX1000 owners, not all IE8 owners. Ignore me!!!

Just using the expert opinion of two IE8 owners (and experienced head-fi'ers) with X1000s who obviously prefer the FX500s, and not by a slim margin. Townyj's experience is not with the X1000, and as you noted, I never said ALL IE8 owners, just the ones who plan on buying or already own the X1000.

May 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 183
Right, and Townyj's experience with the FX500's and IE8's without the Sony X1000 is quite opposite the couple impressions of them with the X1000. Rather interesting. It would seem that the noted extra detail resolution of the new Sony really pairs well with the JVC/Victor.

May 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems I have to do a lot of catching up. I missed the whole thread about FX1000 and since when FX1000 become IE8 killer? Thought IE8 soundstage and bass is unbeatable, even there is flaw in its vocal presentation

Read closer, the FX500 is only an IE8 killer in regards to two people who already have the X1000, and that is all I was referring to. Again, two out of two is a small sample, but both had the exact same experience (sans Soozieq's ear pressure issue) and were IE8 mega-fans. In fact, Duncan started the IE8 Appreciation thread way back when.

May 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 183
Quote:

Just using the expert opinion of two IE8 owners (and experienced head-fi'ers) with X1000s who obviously prefer the FX500s, and not by a slim margin. Townyj's experience is not with the X1000, and as you noted, I never said ALL IE8 owners, just the ones who plan on buying or already own the X1000.

Like I said, it's a totally different sound signature. It's nothing to do with whether they're 'better than' - they're only 'better than' to the listener who prefers that sound signature over the IE8. If someone's looking for something similar sounding to the IE8, this isn't it.

May 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #29 of 183
Quote:

Read closer, the FX500 is only an IE8 killer in regards to two people who already have the X1000, and that is all I was referring to. Again, two out of two is a small sample, but both had the exact same experience (sans Soozieq's ear pressure issue) and were IE8 mega-fans. In fact, Duncan started the IE8 Appreciation thread way back when.

oh,my bad, I just had a glance on this thread, almost mislead other people

Quote:

Like I said, it's a totally different sound signature. It's nothing to do with whether they're 'better than' - they're only 'better than' to the listener who prefers that sound signature over the IE8. If someone's looking for something similar sounding to the IE8, this isn't it.

If it comes to different sound signature, that is only personal perference o. Like comparing apple to orange, it would be endless discussion which is better

May 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 183
Quote:

I haven't stated anywhere that they're an IE8 killer. I said they were like a breath of fresh air after the IE8 and that I was loving them. Anyway, I sold my IE8's a while back so I was obviously looking for something different, not similar. And I also said the guitars sounded less vibrant with the W3, but that doesn't mean the FX is a W3 killer either, it's not, they're just different.

EDIT: And yes, I was a mega IE8 fan for months, but I was also a mega fan of the C700's too... times change and hearing preferences can change too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back