CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
May 29, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #46 of 183
Ive been meaning to try a pair of W3's, but my main area of upgrading lately has been my main system. If the HF-2's get a good writeup then i will be looking for a tube amp to pair them with.

May 29, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #47 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the explanation. If you like sparkle, check out the Westone 3s. Sounds like the FX500 would not be for me, either. I prefer BAs I guess, based on my experience (owned the IE8s and IE7s and sold them both, along with the Turbines and M5s).

You were one of the few people who complained about the fit of the Denons if I remember, and how you didn't like the way they stuck out of your ears. And the JVC is exactly the same, so they wouldn't be for you even if the sound signature was to your liking. There you go. You've just saved some money
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #48 of 183
soozie, i found the victor to be (massive) but the angle of the driver unit kept their body (if worn over the ear) flush to the ear. wile both could have been better server by a more atrio-esque fit, the victor edged out the c700 for overall fit.

i think that if the high end energy of the denon c700 along with some of the crisp mids would work themselves into the fx500, the victor would possibly be my favourite.

May 29, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #49 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozie, i found the victor to be (massive) but the angle of the driver unit kept their body (if worn over the ear) flush to the ear. wile both could have been better server by a more atrio-esque fit, the victor edged out the c700 for overall fit.

i think that if the high end energy of the denon c700 along with some of the crisp mids would work themselves into the fx500, the victor would possibly be my favourite.

I haven't tried them over the ears, that's something I'll do tomorrow, which is actually today now in the UK
ksc75smile.gif

So you liked the high end energy of the C700 too? I loved it, but I know some owners found it too much. As for the mids, I prefer the JVC mids because they're more forward than the C700.

It's funny how listening preference change over time. I mean I really loved my C700's two years ago, and then when I got my TF10, I could hardly stand to listen to the Denons without finding fault with them - even though I couldn't find any faults with them before
confused.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #50 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been waiting for that confirmation for few weeks now. Stil undecided between IE8 and Victor. Using klipsch image X10 right now but would love the same great energy in the low with a bit more sparkle.
I will have to blame Duncan as well as was decided on IE8 just before I came across the FX1000 thread and he metioned the Victor trounced the IE8. I am going to try to wait for Soozieq's opinion of the Victor, if I can, because she made me bought the Denon, which was a great phone. Until I got the Kilpsch...

zenpunk, I have the X10, IE8 and the FX500 and you might be interested in my comparison here. While I believe the FX500 is the best bang for buck IEM I ever bought, I do not think that it trounces the IE8.

May 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #51 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i definitely see things differently
smily_headphones1.gif
I will give u a quick example of how the FX500 sounded to me.

Very warm and lush sounding IEM with good sparkle on the highs, a tad rolled off though. Mids are drowned out by the bass for me anyhow! I got sick of listening to songs which i knew had little bass and these making pretty much everything sound bassy. The soundstage is rather large, i would say it's nearly on par with the IE8's. Instrument separation great! Another qualm i had about these is that they sound a little muffled, clarity is one thing i like and these lacked it a little.

You sure you didnt have the fx300's in your ear! That's a pretty much spot on description of the fx300's, especially regarding soundstage width, separation and overapparent midbass (made almost unlistenable with included foam tips). To add, fast bass with these is a no-no they simply fall apart and do end up sounding muffled. That being said I only paid about £30 for them so I can't say they represent bad value.

Back when I purchased the fx300;s, the 500s were my first choice but the import price was not! Figured anyway from previous experiences that there wouldn;t be much in it between them since Japanese firms have a habit of making mostly superficial cosmetic changes to warrant expensive upgrades. So it would appear that if you can find a much cheaper deal on the fx300s you would find better value and get a feel for if you appreciate the sig (which I now find a little bit too on the dry side in presentation for my tastes).

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #52 of 183
James. thanks for the comparaison. From the different thread I understand that the IE8 and Victor are actually quite different beasts reguarding sound signature (probably because of the wood housing). Some people suggested somehow the Victor being livelier.
I also understand the Victor have better high than the Klipsch but could you compare the bass exension/punch of those two. The klipsch is wonderfull for bass but struggle with very low long bass tone/drone found in dubstep and dance hall music (kind of sub bass rumble that you can feel inside your ear and head if you know what I mean?) It is the kind of sub bass only a dynamic driver can reproduce I believe.

May 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #55 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were one of the few people who complained about the fit of the Denons if I remember, and how you didn't like the way they stuck out of your ears. And the JVC is exactly the same, so they wouldn't be for you even if the sound signature was to your liking. There you go. You've just saved some money
smily_headphones1.gif

Not gonna buy the FX500s regardless (even with Shig's over the ear option). My only possible move is from the W3s to the UM3X, which I know you don't care for much. Guess as I said, I am more of a BA person (PFEs, Westones, ADDIEMs, X10s), as no matter which dynamics I buy, I end up selling them. I do have a new pair of relatively inexpensive dynamics, the VSonic R02 Pro II, for review, and these may be the dynamic keepers for me. They are just $69, and sound very nice. So for now, will be sticking with BAs as my primary phones. I see you and Duncan say the FX500s deliver some impressive sparkle, but others hear muffled mids and overpowering bass. Not worth the gamble, you are right.

May 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #56 of 183
wow, those shigzeo shots should go into the so you think you are hot thread... scrumptious. he looks like gunther mixed with borat! yeah, i should have taken better photos but i was without good lighting and too embarassed to take the camera outside and photograph my face.

May 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #57 of 183
Quote:

I also understand the Victor have better high than the Klipsch but could you compare the bass exension/punch of those two. The klipsch is wonderfull for bass but struggle with very low long bass tone/drone found in dubstep and dance hall music (kind of sub bass rumble that you can feel inside your ear and head if you know what I mean?) It is the kind of sub bass only a dynamic driver can reproduce I believe.

I just A/B'd them again and there's no doubt the bass of the Victor has more punch than the X10. Sub bass extension seems also better to me, but the difference is not so big as with punch. Good thing about the Victor that low bass is already great at low volume, whereas I need to go much louder with the Klipsch to feel the bass. That said, if you go very loud (meaning too loud for your health) the Klipsch suddenly has an edge over the Victor in staying more controlled, whereas the Victor starts sounding a bit loose. Overall I believe you won't be disappointed with the Victor unless you intend to listen at very high volume.

BTW the IE8 has even more bass impact overall, but most of it comes from upper bass. That sub bass rumble you mentioned is definitely more pronounced with the Victor.

May 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #58 of 183
Thanks James. I think you sold it to me. I love the weight and extension of the bass of The Klipsch and I am aware that I tend to listen to them at quite high volume to get the sort of bass I like, which is starting to worry me.
Knowing myself I will also probably end up buying the IE8 later when I can get a good price on a second-hand pair.

Now does anybody who ordered them from Bluetin Japan from Europe know how long it take on average to get them?

May 30, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #60 of 183
Quote:

Now does anybody who ordered them from Bluetin Japan from Europe know how long it take on average to get them?

IME it takes about 10 days for Bluetin orders to Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back