CONFIRMATION: JVC HA-FX1000 IS the JVC Victor HP-FX500.
May 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #31 of 183
haha, soozie - you are (i am sorry to say this) a headphone tramp. you jump around from phone to phone like... well it does not matter. i am getting worse and worse all the time. also, i will finally be able to audition the ie8! i cannot wait as it is the dynamic i have been waiting to have a good listen to.

i have the vivid image of the fx500 still in my brain after about one year of non-stop listening, so hopefully i will have something to add. cheers

May 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, soozie - you are (i am sorry to say this) a headphone tramp.
you jump around from phone to phone like... well it does not matter.

Hey, watch it. If I had feelings I'd be hurt... and also, I'm a trampette if you please!!!!!!!!!
o2smile.gif

Quote:

i am getting worse and worse all the time. also, i will finally be able to audition the ie8! i cannot wait as it is the dynamic i have been waiting to have a good listen to.

Finally you're going to hear the IE8, wow! I've been waiting a long time for this
ksc75smile.gif

May 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 183
Quote:

haha, soozie - you are (i am sorry to say this) a headphone tramp. you jump around from phone to phone like... well it does not matter. i am getting worse and worse all the time. also, i will finally be able to audition the ie8! i cannot wait as it is the dynamic i have been waiting to have a good listen to.

i have the vivid image of the fx500 still in my brain after about one year of non-stop listening, so hopefully i will have something to add. cheers

Hi,you finally got the chance to listen at IE8
darthsmile.gif
congratulation

Waiting for your impression

May 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 183
Well, now it is time to add my tupppence.

Without doubt the FX1000 offers poor value when compared to the FX500 (There is still a small part of me that hopes Mr JVC was wrong!) I still hold firm on the fact that in their own right, they are a great set of earphones, which can, on more than just one player, really upset the dominance of the IE8, whose bass can sound boxy, with dull mids... It is horses for courses...

What I can, and have previously said is that for the price of the FX500, if well partnered, these offer killer value
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to try and get my money back lol

May 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 183
Duncan, do you think you'll order from Bluetin instead? I'm definitely going to later tonight. I really need that clean and clear sound now that I've heard it, and the saving will be huge!

If you're past the 14-day-returns from Apple and they give you any grief about it, tell them it's been confirmed by Richard of JVC UK that the FX1000 is the FX500, and say that you would have obviously bought the FX500 and saved £150 if it had been clear on the packaging, as in 'formerly known as'...

May 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #36 of 183
I have been waiting for that confirmation for few weeks now. Stil undecided between IE8 and Victor. Using klipsch image X10 right now but would love the same great energy in the low with a bit more sparkle.
I will have to blame Duncan as well as was decided on IE8 just before I came across the FX1000 thread and he metioned the Victor trounced the IE8. I am going to try to wait for Soozieq's opinion of the Victor, if I can, because she made me bought the Denon, which was a great phone. Until I got the Kilpsch...

May 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #37 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now it is time to add my tupppence.

Without doubt the FX1000 offers poor value when compared to the FX500 (There is still a small part of me that hopes Mr JVC was wrong!) I still hold firm on the fact that in their own right, they are a great set of earphones, which can, on more than just one player, really upset the dominance of the IE8, whose bass can sound boxy, with dull mids... It is horses for courses...

What I can, and have previously said is that for the price of the FX500, if well partnered, these offer killer value
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to try and get my money back lol

Funny, but I don't remember you saying the IE8s were boxy with dull mids in the IE8 appreciation thread. I guess that's because you had not paired them with the Sony 1000X yet. So are the FX500s or FX1000s or whatever they are great with more than one DAP, or just the Sony? You say with more than one player, so that means at $160, they are a great value, no?

May 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #38 of 183
So basically what im reading is that the FX500 pair well and are great value when you own a Sony X1000 player. I love the hype of phones when people try them! I can tell you now from my experience, that they are in no way better in any way then the IE8. For the price to performance most definitely and with this so called X1000 synergy it might be true!

Im trying to be a little on the subtle side here, as i did like my previous FX500's! I just found the bass overpowering and woolly to the point it drowned out the mid's. I sold my pair to rungun so if you want to ask his opinion it might help
smily_headphones1.gif

Again! Im glad some other people have finally discovered this pair of IEM's and taken a liking to them. They have definitely been under a rock for way to long since Shigzeo reviewed them.

May 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #39 of 183
You are saying the FX500s are not preferable (to your ears) to the IE8s with the DAP you have (A818, which I also own)? Confused by your post. Seems to me, Duncan says they outperform the IE8 with a range of DAPs, but you say it's not the case, based on your experience. This FX500 thread is confusing. Are they just a very good mid-priced IEM for the money, like the PFEs, Atrios, Monster Turbines, etc., or, unamped, are they actually on equal footing with phones like the IE8s, W3s and the rest of the top tier IEMs? Need some clarity about the FX500s. I can see that Duncan and Soozieq clearly prefer them to the IE8s, Duncan with more than a single DAP.

Your description is very different from Duncan's (wooly bass that overpowers the mids?). Hard to believe that two POVs on the FX500s could be so divergent. I realize people hear things differently and all that, but this seems extreme.

May 29, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to believe that two POVs on the FX500s could be so divergent. I realize people hear things differently and all that, but this seems extreme.

Not really. Think of the PFE. Some of the descriptions; weak, thin with hardly any bass were totally in contrast with other people's descriptions of full and lush with plenty of bass. If that's not extreme, what is? Same earphone, different ears, different preferences and a different perception of the sound.

May 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #41 of 183
Yes, true. But those opinions (PFEs thin, lacking bass) were only a handful out of hundreds of HF posts who felt otherwise and still do (check the PFE threads, many accolades from new owners coming in). If Phonak had managed to duck that cracking issue, the PFEs would be getting even higher ratings/reviews. That issue sort of tainted them, but the company is releasing a new model soon.

We'll see as more people jump into the FX500 pool how it all shakes out, I suppose. It will be interesting to hear if more people find them to be the "wow" phones that you and Duncan have found, the "woolly bass" phones that Townyj found, or the very good mid-priced phones that Shigzeo reviewed months ago.

May 29, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #42 of 183
Quote:

Funny, but I don't remember you saying the IE8s were boxy with dull mids in the IE8 appreciation thread. I guess that's because you had not paired them with the Sony 1000X yet. So are the FX500s or FX1000s or whatever they are great with more than one DAP, or just the Sony? You say with more than one player, so that means at $160, they are a great value, no?

Well that sort of thing happens. A 'phone without that particular weakness, or a different sound signature, can totally throw off how you previously heard that one. I have the same experience with the IE8's when I go back to them from the Ultrasone HFI-780's. They sound chesty, thick, and not nearly as energetic. But thankfully since they are a solid earphone after a while I readjust back to them, and enjoy them just as before. But whooaaa, that initial switch back.

May 29, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #43 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that sort of thing happens. A 'phone without that particular weakness, or a different sound signature, can totally throw off how you previously heard that one. I have the same experience with the IE8's when I go back to them from the Ultrasone HFI-780's. They sound chesty, thick, and not nearly as energetic. But thankfully since they are a solid earphone after a while I readjust back to them, and enjoy them just as before. But whooaaa, that initial switch back.

I hope I can have the same experience. Just bought a second hand hfi 780 from handfier, waiting for it now.
beerchug.gif
Thanks for answering my question about 780 at the first place

May 29, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #44 of 183
Quote:

You are saying the FX500s are not preferable (to your ears) to the IE8s with the DAP you have (A818, which I also own)? Confused by your post. Seems to me, Duncan says they outperform the IE8 with a range of DAPs, but you say it's not the case, based on your experience. This FX500 thread is confusing. Are they just a very good mid-priced IEM for the money, like the PFEs, Atrios, Monster Turbines, etc., or, unamped, are they actually on equal footing with phones like the IE8s, W3s and the rest of the top tier IEMs? Need some clarity about the FX500s. I can see that Duncan and Soozieq clearly prefer them to the IE8s, Duncan with more than a single DAP.

Your description is very different from Duncan's (wooly bass that overpowers the mids?). Hard to believe that two POVs on the FX500s could be so divergent. I realize people hear things differently and all that, but this seems extreme.

Ok i definitely see things differently
smily_headphones1.gif
I will give u a quick example of how the FX500 sounded to me.

Very warm and lush sounding IEM with good sparkle on the highs, a tad rolled off though. Mids are drowned out by the bass for me anyhow! I got sick of listening to songs which i knew had little bass and these making pretty much everything sound bassy. The soundstage is rather large, i would say it's nearly on par with the IE8's. Instrument separation great! Another qualm i had about these is that they sound a little muffled, clarity is one thing i like and these lacked it a little. Comparing these to IE8's is sort of apple's to oranges. I know its said alot, but the IE8 is clear and laidback, where as the FX500 is lush and warm.

It really is a matter of taste
wink.gif
So to conclude, the FX500 is not for me as i had to EQ the IEM to get the sound i wanted.

May 29, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #45 of 183
Thanks for the explanation. If you like sparkle, check out the Westone 3s. Sounds like the FX500 would not be for me, either. I prefer BAs I guess, based on my experience (owned the IE8s and IE7s and sold them both, along with the Turbines and M5s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back